10/30/2010 7:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AUU and Freestyle Judo rules?

So I was reading the blog at
    http://blog.betterjudo.com/
    where this rule style was mentioned as I suppose being a lot more penalty light vs the IFJ Judo rules.
    Does anyone have any experience with this and do you feel that these rule sets are better or worse for Judo as a whole?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/31/2010 2:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do not think AAU/Freestyle rules are any better or worse for Judo. I'd compete under either ruleset with no problems. It's a personal choice. Judo under current IJF rules is not so bad. Worst thing is and has been for many years the fact of too-quick standups (most of the time).

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2010 9:15am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fought in the AAU Nationals a couple months back, down in Missouri. They were more lax about certain rules and allowed leg grabs, but they still had the problem of standing fighters up too fast. In one instance I took a guy's back and sunk in a choke in all of two seconds on the ground, and the Ref stood us up almost immediately. I would say there was definitely incompetence on the part of the refs, but no more so than normal judo tournaments.

Posted On:
    10/31/2010 9:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm sure a lot of the same guys who have no understanding of ne waza progress are refereeing at AAU/Freestyle events as are at other local/regionon tournaments. Any ruleset is only as good as the referees.

Ben

Posted On:
    10/31/2010 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure a lot of the same guys who have no understanding of ne waza progress are refereeing at AAU/Freestyle events as are at other local/regionon tournaments. Any ruleset is only as good as the referees.

Ben
    Correct me if I am wrong but the rule set itself is suppose to be a bit more ne waza friendly?

Posted On:
    11/01/2010 4:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the rule set itself is suppose to be a bit more ne waza friendly?
    I think the freestyle format is. The normal AAU ruleset is much closer to regular IJF rules. The Freestyle format is considerably different.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/02/2011 2:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have fought in most of the AAU Freesyle tournaments and the biggest problem I see is as is gets farther along in the day during the tournament you see guys not trying to hit the big judo throws instead you see everyone just doing small takedowns (leg grabs,ankle picks,jerk downs, pulling guard,foot props,single and double leg). When you fully commit to a judo forward throw you usually hit it and land on top and end up in a bad position but a great position for the guy that just got his ass kicked. No one is going to hit the big throws if it puts you in a bad position so what you have is a jujitsu tournament with once in a while an ippon.

Posted On:
    4/03/2011 9:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Law of unintended consequences strikes again.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 10:11am

Style: Sōsetsuken

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bully53 View Post
    When you fully commit to a judo forward throw you usually hit it and land on top and end up in a bad position but a great position for the guy that just got his ass kicked. No one is going to hit the big throws if it puts you in a bad position so what you have is a jujitsu tournament with once in a while an ippon.
    Learn how to throw and you wont have this problem. Shitty drop seionages don't count.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:14am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Worst thing is and has been for many years the fact of too-quick standups (most of the time).
    Ben, what do you think the solution to this should be? I've always thought there should be a count - if it goes to the ground, the shimpan should give them 20 seconds to make something happen, something like that, and allow it to continue after the time if progression is happening. Just take that initial judgement call out of it and let the players work.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast