Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 8:02pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I can't believe Hedgehogey didn't mention Hogg by Samuel R. Delany yet.
    I think that's a little too much for the average teen. Start them out with something a little easier to swallow. I reccomend Dhalgren as bedtime meaning.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easier to swallow! I get it!

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    11/05/2010 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant to say "That's a little hard for the average teen to take.". Because we're funny.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 4:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Science fiction is good because it stretches the view; perhaps things could be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I can't believe Hedgehogey didn't mention Hogg by Samuel R. Delany yet.

Yes Hedge, this is what I gave my 11 year olds to read... though if the tweens and teens don't want to wade through the "culmination of science fiction's New Wave: where writers such as Aldiss, Ballard, Disch, Zelazny, and Delany himself had pushed the envelope, Dhalgren finally ripped it up and scattered the pieces." A coming of age story in vivid, almost psychelic imagery, in the ruins of the city. Good book for 19 year olds who are eating lots of LSD! Worked for me. I've read it twice.

Maybe the kids would like a lesson or two on male/female.... dog, relationships? "A boy and his dog" - the story of fifteen year old Vic and his telepathic dog Blood in a post apocalypse America. It's in this:
    or, along with everything by Philip K Dick The Three Stigmata and others illuminated my adollescence
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/06/2010 4:56pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/06/2010 5:23pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ursala K Leguin wrote a lot of good books spanning teen drama, sci fi and fantasy. I just finished "The Word for World is Forest" and I liked it a lot, and I think that older teens can enjoy it. Although it did make me think get kinda pissed at the screen writers for "Avatar"...

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2010 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That got me googling Ursela K Lequin and now it's time to reread The Left Hand of Darkness. http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Excerpt-LHoD-9-10.htm#9

Check out
    Rite of Passage by Alexei Panshin - a sci/fi coming of age story of a 14 year old girl. That is, check it out after you get China Boy by Gus Lee....
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2010 8:57pm

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With all the sci-fi and fantasy recommendations I am surprised I didn't see Jack Vance's Songs of the Dying Earth. Like the Malazan books though they really aren't for young readers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 12:17am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to support the Quirk Classics books (i.e. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies) and Dune. Here are some other books that I think would be good for them to read:

Armor by John Steakley. It's about guys running around in powered armour fighting giant insects. I've heard it described as Starship Troopers but without the politics and much more action (I haven't read ST)
    Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It's about the only 2 practical magicians (i.e. actually do magic) in a fictional England. Think of it like a more mature Harry Potter.
    The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. I read this in high school and I really liked it. Tell your kids it's kind of like X-men to get them more interested.
    Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It's about a teenage boy who's stuck on a lifeboat with a tiger.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. There are a number of abridged versions you can get kids to read. Make comparisons between the Count and Batman to entice the kids.
    Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. I got this as a gift and it was a great read. It's historical fiction about Miyamoto Musashi.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White. This is a classic, it's great if they're interested in knights or King Arthur.
    Redwall by Brian Jacques. Books in this series are good for younger readers. It's basically about animals in medieval times running around fighting each other.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516