Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 3:41pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trying Kyokushin for the first time - need guidance please

So, I've been studying Aikijutsu/JJJ for around 4 years, and I'm looking for more striking, sparring and aliveness. I've looked into BJJ and MT in my area, and it simply doesn't fit into my current budget. I've managed to locate a Kyokushin dojo near me and I'm going to try my first class tonight. The place is literally only $40 per month with no contracts or initiation fees (cheap seems to be a good sign with Japanese arts generally).

I have an idea from what I've heard here and other places that I should expect a good workout and to see full contact sparring (even though I'll probably not participate yet).

But, since I've never trained Kyokushin, I don't know what I should be looking for; things which might either be good signs or bad signs concerning this particular dojo. I've got a pretty good feel for common red flags, but I was wondering if any bullies with Kyokushin experience could give me some more specific pointers as to what I should be looking for and what may be a red flag. Thanks in advance!

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 3:57pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't be put off if you see kata. It's karate, not kickboxing, so there's still going to be a few of the traditional trappings. Also, in my own experience as well as what others here have said, you probably shouldn't expect to be taken aside as a beginner and worked with. This isn't them not caring about your development as a student. According to some of the old-school KK guys here, the reasoning is that either you'll hang around long enough to pick it up on your own, or you'll quit, in which case they didn't really need to work with you anyway.

One thing to note is that this generally means that kyokushin guys aren't really the most technical fighters on the block, but their body conditioning means they can laugh off hits that would put a lot of other people down. And sometimes a guy who's technically precise isn't as scary as a guy who can eat your best shot and shrug it off like you were trying to swat a fly.

Expect to have to throw up several times.

Basically, as long as you're sweating your balls off, your knuckles are achy from conditioning, and your legs are sore by the end from getting thwacked, your dojo is probably pretty good.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sparred KK guys before and it is both awesome and unnerving how much some of them can take in terms of body shots.

I would kill for a good KK school, until then however I will say this much: Just because you won't be getting punched in the face, doesn't mean you don't need to keep your hands up.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NeoSigma and Mickey, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for...thank you very much! Neo specifically for specifiying the concept that I may not get taken aside, because that could easily be mistaken for the instructors not caring, so if I notice that, I won't take it personally.

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:27pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, no problem. Just to qualify that, the should answer specific questions you might have, if you ask. If they don't pay attention then, you might have an issue.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you don't need guidance. Stop being such a fucking *****. You are a grown ass man who fucks, crushes and breaks **** with his bare hands. Go to class and do what your instructor says. Jesus fucking christ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    No you don't need guidance. Stop being such a fucking *****. You are a grown ass man who fucks, crushes and breaks **** with his bare hands. Go to class and do what your instructor says. Jesus fucking christ.
    Aaaaaaaaand I suddenly understand from where your golden reputation around here originates.

So, a person who doesn't know enough about a specific art should just walk into a dojo which teaches said art and do exactly what told without knowing anything about what to expect from a legitimate dojo in that particular art. Isn't a big function of this site to help people to avoid doing just that?

...You're right, though...I do **** a lot.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 5:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    without knowing anything about what to expect from a legitimate dojo in that particular art.
    SirC is a skinny pain in the ass but his point is valid. You don't have to know anything about a particular art to know when a place is full of ****. Walk in take a class and take note of what happens. Then ask questions about what you didn't see. There is absolutely nothing specific to an art that would make a difference.

Specifically:
    Did they spar if not why or when do they spar?
    Did they spend more time bowing/doing rituals/pontificating than training?
    Do they have successful fighters/competitors?
    Did they try to rush you into a contract after one class?

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 5:39pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some awesome advice that I couldn't put any better but will +1 them.

Yes, Kata and step sparring is there. I really dislike it, you need to know it for your grades, etc. Just suck it up and do it. If doing it at full pace, etc. You'll at least get control over your strikes when there's nothing there to stop your leg / arm momentum and you should get a bit puffed, so that's a plus.

Everything is done in Japanese, it'll take you a while to 'get it' but early on they usually say "just follow someone else" during basics.

Sparring ... you're going to get bruised and hurt. I pretty much just wear a mouth guard and that's it. Body shots hurt work and so do kicks, your mid section, legs and shins will condition very quickly. But that's a time thing that everyone who wants to fight will naturally obtain over time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 5:51pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, Sirc's right.

Have fun in Kyokushin, man. I'm envious of you.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast