Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    MMA - Zen Do Kai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is a 'real' Black Belt?

I see a lot of threads on this forum about 'fake' black belts and martial artists (particularly instructors) claiming to be things they are not.

If you consider the real valve of a black belt, or for that matter, any other rank or qualification, is it any skin off your nose what someone else claims to be?

Ranks are not transportable between different styles, or (sometimes) even between different clubs of the same style. They are not recognized in the same way a PhD or other university degree is. They have no actual value outside the dojo except to the owner.

If someone takes it upon themselves to invent their very own style/school of martial arts, and call themselves a 10th dan black belt with red and white stripes, does it really matter what titles they claim for themselves?

What do you think?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you need to read the stickies, ie the rules for the forum you are posting in.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I think you need to read the stickies, ie the rules for the forum you are posting in.
    What he said, that forum, we abbreviate it as MABS, is for serious investigations into cases of suspected martial fraud.

I have moved your thread to Newbietown, where everyone besides Omega is required to be nice to you. Bullshido can be a bit confusing at first so take the time to read the stickies (threads addressing you by your username at the top of most of the individual forums) and familiarize yourself with the site.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People claim ranks such as black belt, or even military ranks, just so that they can profit off unsuspecting people(ofcourse if theyre lying about that rank), it is wrong; here in bullshido we call their BS.

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Claiming rank allows you to dupe uneducated people into paying money for lessons in getting their asses kicked. How are you defending this again?

Style
    MMA - Zen Do Kai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My argument is that until martial arts instructors have legal, government recognized qualifications, then someone's 14 cherry blossoms are as legitimate a claim as someone else's 9th dan in shotokan. Neither is a government-recognized qualification to teach martial arts.

I am not defending anyone, simply pointing out that there is no such thing as a 'real' black belt.

Until all this rank nonsense is done away with, newbs and the general public will continue to be fooled.

Style
    'Grapplin'
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Judo BB is a real black belt, as is a BJJ black belt. Those two communities are pretty good at policing their own.

The problem with a government recognised system is the execution. Who judges? What qualifies them to Judge? The simple fact of the matter is, some styles tend to be more prone to bullshit than others, and they will always oppose anything resembling progress.

Style
    MMA - Zen Do Kai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see your point. No doubt the only people the government would consult on this kinda deal would be large, old, highly hierarchical organizations, hence defeating the point.

And I must apologize for suggesting that putting the government in charge of anything is a good idea. It is Friday, and I need a drink.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSambell View Post
    I see a lot of threads on this forum about 'fake' black belts and martial artists (particularly instructors) claiming to be things they are not.

If you consider the real valve of a black belt, or for that matter, any other rank or qualification, is it any skin off your nose what someone else claims to be?

Ranks are not transportable between different styles, or (sometimes) even between different clubs of the same style. They are not recognized in the same way a PhD or other university degree is. They have no actual value outside the dojo except to the owner.

If someone takes it upon themselves to invent their very own style/school of martial arts, and call themselves a 10th dan black belt with red and white stripes, does it really matter what titles they claim for themselves?

What do you think?
    A black belt from a certain organization or school can hold more weight than one from one a school or style of known BS. Universities and colleges issue honorary degrees just like some BS orgs. Some universities don't recognize credits or degrees from other schools when students transfer. Just like martial arts styles some universities are more credible and hold more weight than others. A degree from Oxford holds more weight than an online degree from Kaplan.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSambell View Post

And I must apologize for suggesting that putting the government in charge of anything is a good idea. It is Friday, and I need a drink.
    a good plan :)
    as said, organizations do a good job in policing themselves. Sure, charlatans will have their 15 minutes, but there is also a degree of responsibility on the customer to research fully the school/teacher in question (and "arm's length promotion" is always a good rule of thumb)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last