Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:45am

Style: Chinese martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Full contact using TWC

hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a while. Last time I was here, it was after sparring with Vorpal at a small NJ throwdown. before that I was fighting with everyone on here about why Wing Chun can work. I entered the manup standup competition in NY. I'm not a tournament guy, I don't train for tournaments, but for self defense and health. But I understand that it's good for a martial artist to try to get something as close to reality as he can to see if he'll use his art under pressure. If anyone remembers me or would like to see my best attempts at using Traditional Wing Chun (as well as things I like to use when I fight, while sticking to TWC principles), let me know. There are clips on youtube. I'm posting here because this is the forum where I used to post the most and so if anyone remembers me it will be from here, probably.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 7:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome back. You might as well post up a video or two. It's clear that you want to do so.

Just be forewarned, very few -ing -un videos are received well here because they almost all go against one of our core principles here, "Aliveness". If you have videos of you sparring in a fully resistant manner (not the same thing as going 100% by the way), then you're already doing better than most of your -ing -un peers.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:31am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, post vids please. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to chun, how does traditional WC differ from um... not traditional WC?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was my first full contact tournament, although I started my Kung Fu training many years ago. I entered in on short notice. I have been recently doing some sort of regular training anyway, but I hate cardio, and I didn't have enough time to get my lungs in shape. I have a lot to comment on, but I'll try to reserve that for later. I at least hope people here can see Wing Chun (Cheung style)

(I'm Jerry Devone in these videos)

1st fight: against modified wing chun

2nd fight: against ba gua

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 8:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Yes, post vids please. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to chun, how does traditional WC differ from um... not traditional WC?
    in traditional, we keep our weight 50-50, we like to fight on the blindside, use more evasive footwork, tend to keep our hands up higher....probably some of the bigger differences. most of our schools don't mind fighting outside of the box, either. too many pure non traditional wing chun guys say what we do "isn't wing chun." we just try to use what works, but keep the principles. its principle based, not technique based.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:02am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw straight left rights and you would clean up.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what man-up stand-up is. Are these all closed gym fights against other KF styles?

I wish I knew why so many KF guys lean back when they fight full contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:20am

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I don't know what man-up stand-up is. Are these all closed gym fights against other KF styles?

Its how people who arnt used to getting hit in the face, avoid getting hit in the face.

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:38am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I have noticed that a lot of these styles start with really high head position that I think it is posture related to hand trapping.

I assume it is less tiring to do it with a nice straight back and upright head. Once contact is added the only way to go is back

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2011 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I kind of see where this is going, let me just make some comments, coming from a TMA who does Kung Fu.

I know this site is huge on MMA. a lof of MMA guys train so that they can fight in tournaments. even if they are learning self defense for the street, there is still a sport mindset behind it. not even saying better or worse, just trying to clarify a difference. to those who say that learning to get hit, to feel the shots, and to learn to tuck your chin down and not lean back, is better than seeing what a lot of kung fu guys do, YOU ARE RIGHT. i agree with you 100% there.

you also have to look at it from the TMA side of it, too, though. at some point, the TMA stylist does need to learn to not be afraid of getting hit. so i'm still in agreement there. however, most people who train in a TMA, and or kung fu especially, do so for health, self discipline, and for self defense. i can't speak for every school, but what we do for street self defense is not what we would do with gloves on. a lot of styles, and you'll see it in boxing, keep the gloves close to the head, and when punches and kicks come in, they learn to absorb it. in our school, i've seen guys come in like that and get their head caved in because they couldn't stop the force, especially without the gloves there. so when we train, we're not emphasizing learning how to take a shot to the face, but how to move out of the way. remember, i know everyone here hates "the deadly" argument, but if you're training in most kung fu styles, you're using finger as either strikes, rakes, grabs, etc. i'm not arguing that "well anyone can do that" or not, but just that it's how the art is trained. when we decide to go in the ring, we have to completely modify our training to learn to fight just for the ring/for the sport. so yes, most kung fu guys are not prepared to go in the ring and fight like an MMA guy would, and yes, unfortunately many of those same guys are therefore unprepared to fight against a decent fighter in a street fight as well. and that is why a lot of guys move their heads back.
    i agree that most TMA schools don't spar enough. I don't spar enough. I want to spar more. even still, we DO keep things alive when we train our drills. my teacher believes repetition is a great way to really get something to come out under pressure, that we don't need to spar as much as MMA schools do. I would still like to spar more than we actually do. i guess we only have time in our busy lives for so much and you need to set goals when you train to work at what you want to get good at. hope i'm not being contentious, just trying to explain the difference, and again, I generally agree with the criticism.
Page 1 of 28 1 234511 ... LastLast