Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 9:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AZ Defense Academy/Dangerous Soldier

Hi, not sure if anyone has heard of this place. I live in Mesa, Arizona and i've been looking for a place to get some decent,practical self defense training. This place is the closest gym to me but I have several problems with it. It seems almost like a Walmart of martial arts, offering many (usually unrelated) different disciplines. Their main self defense system seems to be something called "Practical Fighting System" and they claim to offer belt ranking in it. Chad (an assistant instructor) is now a "Black Belt" in "practical fighting system" according to their website. From what I can tell, the belt rankings and most of the instructors aren't backed by any actual credentials in a legitimate self defense system. I guess they also offer to sponsor fighters, but I have already seen online one altercation where one of the fighters ended up owing him (as a sponsor) $640. Not really sure how you can end up owing a sponsor money. I just want to figure out whats going on with this place and whether I should go elsewhere. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had any experience with this place or any of the instructors?

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:04am

Style: self defense

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

RE; Dangerous Soldier/az defense academy

saw this on craigslist, I would definately investigate and seek training elsewhere!
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/spo/2028144210.html

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thank you

Wow, this place does seem pretty sketchy. It definitely doesn't look good for a "self defense school" to be instigating a street fight. I'll definitely look around and see what else is out there. I'd like to find somewhere that has some legit certification in a reputable self defense discipline.

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey, here's the ad as posted on Craigslist.

HARD TO BELIEVE DANGEROUS SOLDIER - $1 (EAST MESA)

Date: 2010-10-27, 7:08AM MST

Who is this guy? Never ending ads on CR for his 800-1000 ft training area to offer, 2 different types of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Kajukenbo, Shorin Ryu, Kickboxing, Womens Self Defense, and Kids Martial arts. In 1000 SF ? Come On!! He offers a course/system called "Practical Fighting Systems" which he has belt rankings. Dangerous Soldier nor AZ Defense Academy have no association with any Martial arts Federation. He has made up a "system" and gives out belt promotions.
    He's looking to sponsor MMA fighters, but he already "screwed one fighter over,,in print and endless ads bashing his fight record and questioning his sponsor affiliations. How about your credentials jakhammer? How does a fighter YOU sponsored end up owing you $? You're supposedly a Christian with your whole "saved" and "faith" t shirts. You challenged said fighter to a street fight"? Your supposed to be teaching self defense and you're trying to get in a street fight?
    INSTRUCTORS BEWARE!!!!! He's offering you a 50/50 split to teach out of his mini dojo, I don't know of any instructor getting less than 70%.
    FIGHTERS BEWARE!!!! See above sample.

self defense, mma, karate, kenpo, jiu-jitsu, women, kids, military

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are you claiming is fraudulent, and what real research have you done so far?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, read the stickies on how to do a MABS post. Right now your doing nothing but saying "I heard he is sketchy". Make your claims and do some research or don't post.

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tried to contact owner via CL ad, no response about credentials, personally know fighter he bashed. For someone who supposedly advocates "no bullies" why did he challenge a person to a street fight? He sponsored this fighter and claims the fighter owes him money? Why, because he lost the fight sponsored?
    see link below:
    http://www.listown.com/electronics/p...008/185771.htm

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, sorry if my original post was unclear. To shorten it up, what seems fraudulent is the "practical fighting system" they offer. All of my research has been through their website and other websites and I can find no specific credentials that entitle them to provide belt rankings in what ever the "practical fighting system" entails.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 11:31am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is getting moved to YMAS until someone starts providing evidence or investigative quality posts.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/27/2010 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are two links:

http://azdefenseacademy.com/

http://dangeroussoldier.com/

I will research more.

EDIT:
    Head Coach page here:
    http://azdefenseacademy.com/instructors/chad-armstrong/

Chad has competed at the amateur and professional level in Kickboxing and MMA matches
    which *seems* to be here:
    http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Chad-Armstrong-7374
    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 10/27/2010 11:51am at .
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast