222097 Bullies, 4031 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido Member Damon Young (DAYoung)'s Latest Book: BUY IT YOU SONS OF

Feel like combining pugilism with existentialism? A dash of Bentham with your beatings?

Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness is now available in the US, and soon in the UK and Australia.

Written for a general audience, with essays on western and eastern martial arts, traditional and modern, it's for all martial artists who like to exercise the brain muscles now and then.

Praise for Martial Arts and Philosophy, including some well-known Bullshido names:

"If you’re a martial artist, you need to think carefully: about how to treat your opponent, when to use your skills outside the ring, and your own ego. Martial Arts and Philosophy explores these issues, and more. Recommended reading for all thinking martial artists.”—Kyle Noke, Ultimate Fighting Championship competitor and former bodyguard for Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin

“Philosophical undercurrents of martial arts training and competition are often noted but rarely scrutinized so thoughtfully as in this book. Priest and Young have assembled a sturdy battle squad of authors whose perspectives on combat arts not only inspire readers, but encourage them to consider why it is they do what they do on the tatami, in the ring, or in the cage.”
    —Stephen Koepfer, Head Coach, New York Combat Sambo, and President, American Sambo Association

“My first judo teacher was fond of saying ‘It’s only pain’ each time somebody got hurt. It seemed to help. With this eclectic and wide-ranging collection of essays the philosophical tag-team of Priest and Young encourage us to overcome the pain of thinking about ‘no-mindedness’ and to wrestle with the relationships between combat and Kant.”
    —Ian Whittlesea, translator of The Foundations of Judo

“If anyone doubts that the business of two people kicking each other in the teeth can be an art sustained by a philosophy, they should make sure that they read this extremely thought-provoking book.”
    —Mark Law, author of Falling Hard: A Journey Into the World of Judo and founding editor of thefirstpost.co.uk

“This brilliant book reveals how a worrier can become a warrior. A unique, refreshing, no-holds-barred expression of the spirit underlying true martial arts training. I readMartial Arts and Philosophy with increasing interest and a widening smile on my face. It’s a most intriguing and uplifting read—with intellect, humor, and good spirit enlightening the reader.”
    —Sensai Stan Schmidt, Shotokan Karate master and author of Spirit of the Empty Hand

About the authors:

Graham Priest practices Shitoryu Karatedo and is an Australian national kumite referee and kata judge. Just to demonstrate his lack of judgment, he writes books on logic and metaphysics, among them Beyond the Limits of Thought (2002) and Logic: A Very Short Introduction(2001). For fun, he writes articles on Buddhist philosophy.
    Damon Young is a black belt in Goju-Kai Karate and an Honorary Fellow in Philosophy at the University of Melbourne. He is the author of Distraction (2008), as well as a frequent contributor to newspapers and radio. Making the most of his philosophy training, he played a mafia thug in the Jackie Chan movie, Mr. Nice Guy.

Where to buy:

Martial Arts and Philosophy will soon be in all good bookshops, and online on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Powell's and other shops I haven't thought of.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, I miss seeing DA Young post here. I'll order a copy when I'm not at work.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 1:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It definitely sounds interesting. I'd be interested in reading some reviews when they are available
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Codos, thanks - I've prioritised writing and being a dad. Bullshido sucks me in with its ferment of wisdom and idiocy, and I can't always extricate myself. So I've been keeping a low profile.

Mickey, here's a short precis of some of the likely reviews. Philosopher, from X University: This is not The Real philosophy, this is just 'pop'/Western ethnocentrism/journalism/entertainment/not-what-I'm-doing. Martial Artist from X Traditional School: This is not The Real martial arts, this is just Western egocentrism/discourtesy/lack of traditions/eclecticism/not-what-I'm-doing.

By the way, I think Amazon has a preview, and you can also buy the book on Kindle.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Weak

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats DA! Will be getting it soon.

Don't forget your fans over at Sociocide...
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How exciting. I'm a big fan of the whole _____ and Philosophy series, but this one looks especially interesting.
    Last edited by Rivington; 10/26/2010 4:56pm at .

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 4:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lily, I'll not be back on Sociocide until the next book's done. I miss you loonies, but I need to be disciplined.

Rivington, it's very much in the spirit in the series. Only with more awesome.

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't philosophy just for people who are too chicken to solve all their problems with violence?

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 4:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, no, no. You have it all wrong. The owl of Minerva only flies at dusk.

Which means: we philosophise after the violence.

Posted On:
    10/26/2010 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats DAY.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast