Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 5:37pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I've never tried that. I usually just dry fire while pointing at a small object while trying to keep the front sight from straying from it. Also used a laser back when I had one. I'll have to give your method a try. Sounds like a good one.
    See Also: 2-18. Pencil Triangulation Exercise, FM 23-35 (specific to the M1911, but the concept is similar).

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 6:25pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    We are gonna need a gun n00b, several watermelons, 6 quarts of anal lube and a ninjer...

Seriously though:

We will need:
    1: Firearms n00b, point shooter, sight shooter
    2: timer
    3: gun with no sights.
    4: Gun with sights

We hand the n00b the gun with no sights, and give him 5 seconds to get as many rounds on target as possible at various ranges. We then let him/her repeat with sighted gun and some instruction. then we give n00b point-shooting instruction and let him have another go. to avoid "familiarity creep" with accuracy, we can get three n00bs.

We hand the point shooter the same gun and repeat.

We give the sight shooter a gun WITH sights and do the same.

it needs fleshing out...but that is where my head is at. Obviously, the larger the sample size, the better.
    The Browning range is open for use.

I also might be able to get PS to cooperate Andy. The problem is that if he were to instruct sighted fire, he would want his students to do about 300 rounds which means we would have to use 22LR or pay heaps of money.

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    The Browning range is open for use.

I also might be able to get PS to cooperate Andy. The problem is that if he were to instruct sighted fire, he would want his students to do about 300 rounds which means we would have to use 22LR or pay heaps of money.
    Any reason to not use a 22LR?

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 8:48pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a low recoil round, and some people might say that the results were invalid because the gun did not have the kick of say a 9 mm handgun. I really don't think its a particulary valid complaint.

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 8:59pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning View Post
    Its a low recoil round, and some people might say that the results were invalid because the gun did not have the kick of say a 9 mm handgun. I really don't think its a particulary valid complaint.
    I think the results would be more obvious with 9mm. Then again, a brick of 500 rounds of 22lr runs for about 20 bucks, tops. A brick of 500 rounds of cheap 9mm is 80 to 100 bucks.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 9:46pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the shooting techniques being compared are defensive in nature (particularly point shooting) I'd say the complaint would be very valid. 9mm is a fair choice in my opinion. If some experiments are set in stone, I would be happy to send some cash in the mail as a donation toward ammo assuming enough other members are willing to as well. If enough people do, you may have your answer there.

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 10:29pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Since the shooting techniques being compared are defensive in nature (particularly point shooting) I'd say the complaint would be very valid. 9mm is a fair choice in my opinion. If some experiments are set in stone, I would be happy to send some cash in the mail as a donation toward ammo assuming enough other members are willing to as well. If enough people do, you may have your answer there.
    I agree with this.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    10/29/2010 10:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wonder how much recoil would really factor into it. Is one of our metrics going to be grouping size? Heck one of the point shooting techniques uses a BB gun for practice. Then you move up to a proper gun.

Posted On:
    10/30/2010 1:44am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I think the results would be more obvious with 9mm. Then again, a brick of 500 rounds of 22lr runs for about 20 bucks, tops. A brick of 500 rounds of cheap 9mm is 80 to 100 bucks.
    In case it matters, I know where to get new production.45ACP ball for $17/50rnds with cheap shipping. Five hundred rounds, including shipping, would be ≈$187.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/30/2010 6:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    In case it matters, I know where to get new production.45ACP ball for $17/50rnds with cheap shipping. Five hundred rounds, including shipping, would be ≈$187.
    I get .45acp 230gr Winchester FMJs from Walmart for about $35/100 for my range shooting. Dunno if that's available in CT, though. I'll chip in for ammo expense, since I probably won't be making the trip.