Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 9:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UFC Gym...uh...Wallmart-ized MMA Training...

Found out today that the UFC Gym Franchise was coming near my house in Corona, CA. I had heard that UFC were starting to open gyms, but had no idea how extensive the gyms were going to be.

So I go check out the show room (real facility will be opening in Jan 2011). They had a tent setup like it was a 24 hour fitness or something.

Basically:

www.ufcgym.com

45000 sq. ft facility
    offers all forms of mma training: boxing, muay thai, gi and no gi bjj, wrestling
    all forms of fitness: from spin classes to kettle bells
    child care and a kids program
    when fully booked they will have hourly mma classes from 5am to 10pm

Ok..so it's 24 hour fitness for mma...so I ask my man how much it's going to cost. $39 bi-weekly for unlimited classes...uh...wow....for Riverside county that's half the price of a cheap BJJ school.

So after I picked my mouth up off the floor I had two huge concerns.

Will the quality of instruction be diluted?
    I mean, they will have top notch coaches. BJ Penn's wrestling coach has already signed on there. However, with so many classes won't the instruction get dumbed down?

Also, because of the low pricing will they undercut and drive out the local mma gyms?
    This one I'm less worried about as if you are belting with your current spot or a pro, you're probably staying there. Dana White himself says this place is "not a fighter's gym". Well ok that might have answered question 1..

Thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 10:57pm

Style: Aiki Jujitsu, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. I'm guessing it'll depend on what class you take. Some of the classes like the Octagon Training sessions will have small classes and more serious instruction (probably will have to pay extra to take these classes) while other classes like group training (duh) will have big classes and will focus more on exercise than on fighting. The only real way to find out is to actually go to the gym though. See if they have any coupons or trial classes available and test out which classes are right for you.
    2. The local gyms will probably keep the more loyal customers. I wouldn't worry about business dropping too much.
    Anyways, this is just my opinion and if I'm wrong feel free to ignore me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no..I actually think you're right. It's a gym in it's own right so I would probably just pick up a gym membership and check out the classes when I'm there. I'm double minded about it really. I think the concept is great..I just don't know if they can pull it off.

While I was there I talked to the Sr. VP of all of the UFC gyms and he was saying since MMA is really popular in the Inland Empire (riverside and San bernardino counties) that they feel they will have a potential of 4000 members a day running through there. I mean no one has really done this before...

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 12:39am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a bad idea for the real MMA schools in the area. Sure this is going to attract more of the hobby crowd than serieous fighters but a lot of places need the money of those people to stay opened. Sadly a committed core group of students rarely is enough to keep a school opened and running at a profit. You need those students that are there just for exercise and something to do. Imagine how many schools will close if 4000 students dump their current schools for the cheaper UFC gym? This may be the most dangerous McDojo concept yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 6:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and that would definitely be the wall-mart concept, I even said that to him. He definitely knows that that's what many gyms would think. However, he said they are not really competing with them and many of the gyms directly near the gym have came over wanting to find a way to get involved. I mean it's just never been done before so we don't know how they will react. Rosemead has been pretty slow growing but it's not in a hotbed like one in the inland empire would be. Now they could be embellishing, but I was shocked at how many owners of shcools wanted to get involved.

Unfortunately herebeadragon I think you could be right.

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 7:13am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt most of the 4000 projected members of that UFC gym would stick around for more than a few weeks after New Year's. Just like any other gym or fitness class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 7:46am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This honestly sounds like it's going to be pandering to the MMA fan and not the athlete that even hobby fighters are. Currently good MA centres and gyms survive on reputation and competitive pricing. Day care, aerobics and the like seem to target both members of the modern family interested in the UFC who want a passing sampling of what it's like to train as a fighter but without the intensity. I think standard fitness centres and gyms have more to worry about than actual boxing gyms and BJJ schools.

I'm honestly looking forward to the eventual stories of overweight people trained in "UFC" using these gyms and their 30 minutes a week in them to somehow validate their delusion driven fighting prowess.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    I'm honestly looking forward to the eventual stories of overweight people trained in "UFC" using these gyms and their 30 minutes a week in them to somehow validate their delusion driven fighting prowess.
    Also - opening their own schools. :5headache

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 10:07am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will be a sad irony if the UFC puts many MMA gyms out of business while at the same time causing a new wave of McMMA gyms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 10:36am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well if it ever goes to far, and they start pushing mma gyms out of business. We can just revive Teddy Roosevelt to whack there monopoly with a big stick.

anybody on this board know how to raise the dead?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast