Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:51am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    PEOPLE are more important that times or contracts or distance. If you love the people you train with you will make the other stuff work. Go take a trial class at all the places you are considering and see what you think of your training partners. Training partners can be just as or more important than coaches for your development.

oh by far. but still money is the issue here. I'm a full time college student who has to pay for stuff. I mean my krav class is great my teacher is even lenient on payment and let me go a whole month without paying one time I was in trouble.

BJJunited is what I'm gonna try first. After my next paycheck I'll have some money if I have to sign a contract

I posted this to see if I could weed out some mcdojos but that does not seem to be the case.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 11:30am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at BJJ United from late 2008 until the start of this year (I no longer was in the NE Philadelphia/Jenkintown area after this time).

The gi BJJ instruction is amazing, especially as you have both a BJJ fundamentals class and a regular BJJ class available. Given that most of the BJJ black belt instructors have judo experience as I recall, you'll also learn how to throw/takedown people. Rolling usually starts on the knees in the fundamentals class, while it will start from standing in the regular class. The no-gi classes were awesome, and the few Muay Thai classes I took were tremendously fun and instructive. There's also an additional wrestling class offered, as well as the kettlebell classes for conditioning. From what I saw of the MMA class, it was mostly all people preparing for fights (I do know that if you *really* want to hit the MMA, people tended to go to Philly MMA as they're part of the family down there).

I doubt they've changed it since I left, but they do offer a six month contract option in addition to the year long contract. They also offer a free trial to check the place out, which I'm sure hasn't changed. Yes, they might be more per month than other places - but the quality, variety and frequency of training available there can't be beat, certainly not in the immediate area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 11:49am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drive 20 miles to go to school daily.

Don't rule the other places out before you try them.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ United.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/23/2010 11:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBGKY View Post
    I trained at BJJ United from late 2008 until the start of this year (I no longer was in the NE Philadelphia/Jenkintown area after this time).

The gi BJJ instruction is amazing, especially as you have both a BJJ fundamentals class and a regular BJJ class available. Given that most of the BJJ black belt instructors have judo experience as I recall, you'll also learn how to throw/takedown people. Rolling usually starts on the knees in the fundamentals class, while it will start from standing in the regular class. The no-gi classes were awesome, and the few Muay Thai classes I took were tremendously fun and instructive. There's also an additional wrestling class offered, as well as the kettlebell classes for conditioning. From what I saw of the MMA class, it was mostly all people preparing for fights (I do know that if you *really* want to hit the MMA, people tended to go to Philly MMA as they're part of the family down there).

I doubt they've changed it since I left, but they do offer a six month contract option in addition to the year long contract. They also offer a free trial to check the place out, which I'm sure hasn't changed. Yes, they might be more per month than other places - but the quality, variety and frequency of training available there can't be beat, certainly not in the immediate area.
    I'm really glad to see you had such a positive experience. Not only have I been training full-time at BJJ United since 2005 (though I initially met Jared at Maxercise back in '99 or so), but I'm also one of the muay Thai coaches. The only real difference since you left would be the MMA class has been dropped and more jiu-jitsu classes have been added. I believe the prices have pretty much stayed the same.

To the OP, BJJ United has a thirty-day trial period, so I'd recommend you come in and check it out, especially since you're so close. I doubt you'll ever run into anyone that would say Jared and Wilson Reis (head jiu-jitsu instructors, though there are other browns and blacks covering various classes from time-to-time) are anything but legitimate black belts. It's a really friendly atmosphere, and of course I'd recommend it as a student and an instructor. I'd also never badmouth another area school and I'd recommend you check out Semper Fi, too.

I am currently training in Thailand at the moment (Sinbi Gym in Phuket) and I'll be here through November 8th, so hopefully you'll be around when I get back. I've got a guy filling in for me, but obviously I'd much prefer if the classes were judged based on my instruction.

If there's anything else I can answer for you, let me know, but due to the time difference, it may be a little while before I get back to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2010 4:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well you guys have given me a positive view of the class. what is the price of unlimited classes if I sign a 1 month contract and what are the terms for cancellation on terms of injury. (if you happen to know)

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/24/2010 6:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to the school or call them. Good lord all your threads and posts have you asking people to do the work for you. A one time trip is not going to kill you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 12:15am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    well you guys have given me a positive view of the class. what is the price of unlimited classes if I sign a 1 month contract and what are the terms for cancellation on terms of injury. (if you happen to know)

I would love to go clothes shopping with you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Go to the school or call them. Good lord all your threads and posts have you asking people to do the work for you. A one time trip is not going to kill you.

your point is 100% valid. I'll be calling them this thursday.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12