Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 6:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^
    Sure, if you live in rural Alaska and can't find a BJJ instructor, go for it, some is better than none, but if you look at their site there are Gracie Garages all over, in places like where I live, where there are tons of BJJ instructors.

Reading the blurbs for the individual garages reinforces my opinion that a large percentage of the people going for this stuff are Ke?po/Krotty/Kung Fu-ers who can't stomach going to a grappling school and being a newbie who gets constantly owned all over again.

I suppose it IS a little more difficult for someone with a lot of prior MA experience, perhaps used to being top dog in their gym, to bite that bullet than someone who never really reached an advanced level in anything, but regardless all MA preaches emptying your cup/humility/being a student forever/etc. etc. and you should walk the walk.

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 6:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in San Diego, we have some freaking awesome BJJ gyms around.
    Dean Lister at throwdown, Saulo & Xande Ribeiro at University of Jiu Jitsu, the Lions den, Fabio Santos, Roy Harris, and of course some pretty decent Judo clubs as well.
    I do BJJ here so I see where you are coming from.
    But I can see someone who likes doing <insert striking art> may not want to shell out an extra $100 a month to round out their game. They may also may not have an interest in taking things beyond a blue belt level. Frankly I feel a blue belt will serve most people well enough for most self defense purposes.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 7:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    ^
    Sure, if you live in rural Alaska and can't find a BJJ instructor, go for it, some is better than none, but if you look at their site there are Gracie Garages all over, in places like where I live, where there are tons of BJJ instructors.
    This is the basic context I had when I read goodlun's post.

They may also may not have an interest in taking things beyond a blue belt level. Frankly I feel a blue belt will serve most people well enough for most self defense purposes.
    Right but, an online university and videos is not the way to go for the average Joe. That's why this was culled because, people are starting to argue something entirely different than MCdojo or bullshido video program.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/22/2010 7:07am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12