See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 8:39am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskymma View Post
    Any tips for sparring/fighting lefties? I lose my strongest weapon, my jab, when sparring lefties. I am stuck countering jabs and throwing weak straight rights off it or throwing rear leg thai kicks.
    Here is the tip I give to any rightie that I spar:

Stand there and let me punch you

Really. It is the best option for everybody. Think of all the people suffering in the world. All of the chaos and war. All of the atrocities committed on behalf of religion, nationalism, and personal vendettas. All of the natural disasters that have happened and are forthcoming.

While you think about all of that, I'll be punching you in the face.

Thank you for your continued cooperation in this matter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 10:25am

Style: muay thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Here is the tip I give to any rightie that I spar:

Stand there and let me punch you

Really. It is the best option for everybody. Think of all the people suffering in the world. All of the chaos and war. All of the atrocities committed on behalf of religion, nationalism, and personal vendettas. All of the natural disasters that have happened and are forthcoming.

While you think about all of that, I'll be punching you in the face.

Thank you for your continued cooperation in this matter.
    A stunning strategy. I will have to test this out tonight.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskymma View Post
    Any tips for sparring/fighting lefties? I lose my strongest weapon, my jab, when sparring lefties. I am stuck countering jabs and throwing weak straight rights off it or throwing rear leg thai kicks.
    Iíve tried using my left palm to do a small inward parry against the right jab, and as soon as itís not going to hit me, throwing the left jab over the top at the face (likely the left eye area because of where the punch starts), then lateral movement to your left. It's like the only way I've been able to jab a southpaw without ending up with a right fist looping around to my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 12:18pm

Style: Generic MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again Mr Lawson. I love this older stuff. We've almost lost much of the early 20th century American stuff due to plain old neglect & I'm grateful to the few out there that go out of their way to preserve it.

I thought this guy was "Jem" Driscoll. I'm fuzzy on it though. "Peerless Jem"? Either he or Johnny Dundee was said to be able to stand on a handkerchief & not be hit by punches thrown at him.

Is there any chance of you being able to make a physical copy of Dempsey's exellent book? I'd pay a good chunk of cash for a copy & I've noticed that it seems to be an underground hit on several martial arts forums in it's PDF form.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep smirking when reading advice about ball-punching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 2:36pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I keep smirking when reading advice about ball-punching.
    Makes ya giggle, I know. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffphansen77 View Post
    Thanks again Mr Lawson. I love this older stuff. We've almost lost much of the early 20th century American stuff due to plain old neglect & I'm grateful to the few out there that go out of their way to preserve it.
    My pleasure. One of the things that keeps me at it is all the positive feedback I get.

I thought this guy was "Jem" Driscoll. I'm fuzzy on it though. "Peerless Jem"? Either he or Johnny Dundee was said to be able to stand on a handkerchief & not be hit by punches thrown at him.
    He had several nicknames. "Peerless" was an American one, but "Jem" was (ims) a British one. In his home area they called him "The Prince of Wales" iirc.

Is there any chance of you being able to make a physical copy of Dempsey's exellent book? I'd pay a good chunk of cash for a copy & I've noticed that it seems to be an underground hit on several martial arts forums in it's PDF form.
    If you look around, you can sometimes find an original on ebay. The PDF was made by a friend of mine who wishes to remain anonymous (no, not me). I think it's still under a limited copyright or the family holds the CR and doesn't want to repub themselves or something complicated like that.

I may have to look closer into it, but I really haven't had a strong incentive to do so because my friends PDF is so readily available and I have such a backlog of other books which don't have electronic versions at all.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 7:19pm

Style: muay thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dempsey's book can be found here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QKL2MYYD

This was actually posted by user Lord Asia a few years back. Enjoy.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 10:07am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You are thinking of "Peerless" Jim Driscoll. In 19th C etc, Jem more usual than Jim, which gained currency in 20th C. in England. He was a notably elusive boxing master.

Johnny Dundee was World MW Champ and with known Mafia connections. Yep, he was Italian. He took the "Dundee" from Vince Dundee - an early 20th C fighter, who was also Italian. Chris & Angelo continued the tradition by adopting "Dundee" as their business names. Again, Italian extraction.

Johnny Dundee lost his World MW Title to The Great Harry Greb, who had given the impression that he wasn't taking his preparations too carefully by being seen in various Bars. Of course, this was just a ruse but even so he needed to be careful of Dundee whose "friends" might have wanted to make an objection to the loss of the title.

For Kirk. Sir, I salute you (and I've taken a copy). I love the cover, price 1 shilling and sixpence. Yes, I remember the pre-decimal currency.

You're a Gent.:toothy5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    For Kirk. Sir, I salute you (and I've taken a copy). I love the cover, price 1 shilling and sixpence. Yes, I remember the pre-decimal currency.

You're a Gent.:toothy5:
    Yeah, groovy ain't it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast