Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 8:03pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The kids that really do have ADD really do need the meds. It is a life changing and positive effect for the ones that really do have ADD not just slightly hyper and undisciplined.
    I don't know what your experience with ADD is, Goodlun, but here's mine:

It's certainly a life changing but not all positive. I spent years on the stuff. Suddenly it was easy to sit down and get homework done. My grades were nearly flawless all the time. Then in high school I started refusing to take them any more. Why? Because every evening when the meds started to wear off I was angry for no good reason. Why was I angry? Oh yeah, the drugs I was addicted to were wearing off. I also didn't like having to force myself to eat since I was never hungry but knew I needed to eat and the insomnia wasn't too great either.

Which do you think is the better overall option? Medication, likely for life or learning how to deal with the ADD without the medication? Hell, I'd even accept drugs as a stop-gap with some sort of after school training program as an answer to this, with the drugs being gradually tapered off but drugging them and then keeping them drugged forever is not a good option.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 7:19pm

Style: Itinerant Wanderer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've taught lots of kids martial arts. They're fun, by and large. The only ones who frustrate me are the ones who don't want to be there, and half-ass it. I generally make them do kata by themselves. Eventually, they get sick of the repetitiveness, and shape up to work with real people. OR they give up and leave. Either way, I am free to focus on the ones who want to be there.

My latest little charge is not an ADD kid, but he has issues with control. Mostly they stem from him pushing boundaries with his father deployed. Now that his dad is back, I'll be interested to see how his behavior has modified.

Anywho- in one of his first sessions with me, he was up to the normal hyper tricks: not listening, gaze and attention wandering, fidgeting, getting bored and wandering off. I won't tolerate that from an 8 year old. So, lots of corrective pushups. Then, right in the middle of me showing him a kick or something, he walks up and grabs the ends of my obi, and yanks on it for all he's worth. Having had enough of this, I picked him up like a sack of 'taters. With a mighty kiai, I body slammed him into the mat. Except- I stopped about 6 inches from the floor and plopped him down gently on his back.

His eyes were about the size of saucers as he finally realized that his continued existence depended entirely on my good graces. He will dutifully tell you now that if you attack sensei when he's teaching, he'll body slam you to show that it's a bad idea. And he listens pretty well now.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 8:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I don't know what your experience with

Which do you think is the better overall option? Medication, likely for life or learning how to deal with the ADD without the medication? Hell, I'd even accept drugs as a stop-gap with some sort of after school training program as an answer to this, with the drugs being gradually tapered off but drugging them and then keeping them drugged forever is not a good option.
    When I say ADD I mean the kids that simply are incapable of doing it with out the drugs because the brain chemistry simply isn't their. I have seen kids that have great parents that did everything right with their kids instilled discipline understood positive and negative reinforcement had 4 other great kids that all excelled. One kid in the middle that simply could not focus for more than a couple of minutes and would bounce off the walls. They tried everything they could before putting him on meds. After the meds the kid was more or less back to normal still had a harder time focusing than his siblings but was at least now functional.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 8:45pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    It always bothered me that the reporters knew that Kane's dying words were "Rosebud" even though he was completely alone when he kicked the bucket.
    Haven't seen it in awhile, but didn't he have a bedside nurse or something who heard it?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345