Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st vid: Did he just give that guy a noogie?

2nd vid: Whaaaa? My drop seioi isn't well suited for the streets??? Srsly though, as usual in these types of vids, the guy waaayyy over states the difference between sport v street. Of course, there IS a difference, and you should practice throws without the gi, with various grips, and against strikes every once in a while. But that Harai Goshi he pulled off in the begining looked fine to me and would end the fight pretty quick. And there are other throws that are even better suited to street fights. Osoto gari with an over wrap and a palm heel to the chin will work wonders.

3rd vid: Ha ha! Awesome.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 12:52am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    YouTube - Water fight turns into judo match judo for the mean streets guys.
    damn, big daddy has some judo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 1:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    damn, big daddy has some judo!
    I am genuinely suprised that he didn't get up and did a "who'z yer daddy" thing on him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 1:58am

Style: BJJ, striking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is some interesting stuff. Cool finds.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    Wearing regular cloths and working on judo like this for a street scenario is something I would love to try.
    Yes, why wear kit designed for training in comfort and safety when you can cut your eye open on jeans studs and break your fingers off in belt loops.

Keepin' it real.

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    Yes, why wear kit designed for training in comfort and safety when you can cut your eye open on jeans studs and break your fingers off in belt loops.

Keepin' it real.
    Hey Mr. Buzz Killer...let the kids go out and rip up their favorite shirts and hoodie sweaters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 2:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do no-gi once a week but it's still for sport. Wearing regular cloths and working on judo like this for a street scenario is something I would love to try.
    I think that the derision that this comment inspires is due to the fact that Judogis are made of the thick cloth they are, not because you can't use a lighter garment for an effective grip, but because you don't want to be buying a new T-shirt every training session.

Your no-gi stuff will stand you in good stead when fighting those who favour nudity. In all other cases, you will be augmenting your throws with the psychological damage of fucking up some ************'s favorite threads.

Why not add insult to injury?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 3:18am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be interested in a class that demonstrated the tweaks and application of th3 d3adly judo while wearing regular cloths (including shoes). Going through the tweaks with a good instructor at the pace of those videos (nice and slow and controlled) would be very interesting. I certainly wouldn't want to go to a class and get my elbow snapped before getting thrown onto my face... Just saying, I could imagine more non sporting people getting into judo if they were introduced to it through a self defense class. A lot of non MA types that I have spoken to are of the opinion that it's a sport only and isn't an effective fighting style.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 3:33am

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of non MA types that I have spoken to are of the opinion that it's a sport only and isn't an effective fighting style.
    Most people I know that are not martial artists and a large part of the traditional martial artists that I know think that if a martial art is considered a sport, then it must not be very effective on the deadly streets. You can argue with them all you wish but they do not comprehend the idea that sport martial arts have been pressure tested and that they work, which is one reason as to why they are used in a sport setting. Rules or no rules, Judo is an effective martial art and those that practice the style should be competent to defend themselves on the deadly streets.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo works just fine on the street without any modifications in the style, the only thing that needs adjustment is the practitioner's mindset, ie deciding whether or not to follow him down to the ground, should you pin/submit or get up and run
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast