Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 7:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there is also the issue of overconfidence in your cardio. you can run 3 miles a go and still feel good enough to hit some weights? good for you, but that doesn't translate directly into having wind for grappling.

the use of so many different muscles all at once, plus carrying someone else's weight, plus wearing the oppressive gi that you aren't used to, plus excitement/panic breathing like white shark said, all adds up to you getting gassed.

just know that, in time, these issues have a way of working themselves out if you pay attention.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 7:35am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I have noticed that some newbs "panic breathe" when they are in a tight spot. The breathing pattern is like one step slower than hyperventilating. This is obviously not effective. RELAX and calm your breathing especially when you are in a rough spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by STB'A View Post
    there is also the issue of overconfidence in your cardio. you can run 3 miles a go and still feel good enough to hit some weights? good for you, but that doesn't translate directly into having wind for grappling.

the use of so many different muscles all at once, plus carrying someone else's weight, plus wearing the oppressive gi that you aren't used to, plus excitement/panic breathing like white shark said, all adds up to you getting gassed.

just know that, in time, these issues have a way of working themselves out if you pay attention.
    Very important points here.In my own experience I've seen the single biggest problem with people gassing out when rolling is not their cardio. Its their breathing. I've seen this in beginners and I've seen it in semi-pro cage fighters too. When a person is put under an exertion or stressor they tend to brace. When you brace you hold your breath. This is something pretty much everyone does until they are trained not to do it.

Once you are holding your breath you are in trouble. What happens next is you are gassed and sucking in air. Only problem is you are already done at that point. The other problem is that when you are trying to suck in as much air as possible you are also inhibiting your lungs from releasing the used up air. The result is a breathing pattern like Whiteshark described.

Exhale thru tension while you are rolling and you will not gas out. I've rolled for a half hour non-stop in this way. Conserve your energy and control your breathing. Also a note on strategy; you can actively seek to cause these problems in your opponents. Ride the diaphram and keep them compressed and stressed. Even when they are on top if you can keep pressure on the diaphram you can break down their game.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 7:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow thank you all, that bit about bracing was very helpful I think that it very well maybe some of the root cause of the problem. I also have to admit even when I was did a semester of yoga through the local JC I had a hard time breathing through more than a few poses so I am just going to have to really focus on breathing in a major way. This sounds silly but seeing how I had a hard time of it even in yoga does anyone have any advice or tricks that helped them vastly improve their breathing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 8:11am

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that breathing in comes pretty naturally, and I only brace when I have a good amount of air in my lungs. To make sure I am breathing during class, I exhale whenever I am exerting more force for something, just like in weight training. Usually punches or kicks are accompanied by a small exhalation, while a takedown or grapple maneuver usually gets a more robust breath.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 9:29am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming competitively for 15 years helped me.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 9:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some exercises in systema that were good for getting used to someone weighing down on you. Partly because there was an emphasis on breathing and relaxation, and partly because of, well, you know how the systema jokes go. Things like having your partner sit on your stomach while you breathe out entirely, then try to re-establish comfortable breathing. Sometimes you may start to clench your fist or other area, and your partner will tap that area so you know to relax it. Good concepts, but I think it’s more useful to develop this by actually grappling with people and getting comfortable with the idea of someone trying to manhandle you.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 9:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Swimming competitively for 15 years helped me.
    lol here is the funny thing while I have never done competitive swimming I was a life guard in the boy scouts and have done tons of swimming in fact swimming has to be my favorite workout. I use to swim a mile once a week. Yet I still suck at breathing out. No problems with taking air in my biggest issue by far is breathing out.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 11:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread as made me open my eyes to the fact that I really have a hard time exhaling in general and under duress it is nearly impossible. I do believe being just aware of this will be quite helpful and give me something to continue to work on.

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 11:19am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yet I still suck at breathing out. No problems with taking air in my biggest issue by far is breathing out.
    Than you know what you need to work on. Congrats half the battle is over. :ninja2:

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I roll with beginners half of the time I say. Breathe, relax, slow down. The more you think about breathing and relaxing in the beginning the easier it gets to calm down.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast