Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 5:02am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    When you're training for strength, never go to failure, and certainly don't add negatives and statics to a post failure set.
    Could you put a reasoning behind it because I am just curious why?
    I have been doing a HIT workout (more to Mike Mentzer philosophy) in which such a workout is core to it.

Also in the article I posted he mentions to multiply your weight by 0.9 for some reason, could someone explain this? is it 90% of the weight? as if I am using 100 pounds for x I would use 90 pounds in the prescribed way?
    Last edited by 94m; 10/21/2010 5:27am at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 5:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 8:11am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Cressey article is very sophisticated and way, way more complex than you likely need. You probably don't need undulating periodization. That's not a beginner program!

What is your training age (how long have you weight trained), weight, approximate BF%, and 1RM on some of the big lifts (e.g., Squat, Deadlift, Bench).

Unless you're a weight-class athlete, I'd just do something like stronglifts 5x5 or one of the other good canned beginner programs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 10:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo,pancrace

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    No protein? Clearly you are not an expert.
    if you take protein powder your gonna gain weight.but the guy just want to be the strongest possible for his weight like bruce lee.i dont think bruce lee was taking proteins powder creatine and all that stuff but im just a noob so what i say is ****

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 10:40am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by smartangel View Post
    2x8 and 8x2 It take the same time ( work/time ) .The result in power would be the same.
    I think it is time to get your acess restricted.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post
    I have been doing a HIT workout (more to Mike Mentzer philosophy) in which such a workout is core to it.

Also in the article I posted he mentions to multiply your weight by 0.9 for some reason, could someone explain this? is it 90% of the weight? as if I am using 100 pounds for x I would use 90 pounds in the prescribed way?
    HIT is in no way, shape or form a strength building routine. It is purely bodybuilding, and Mentzer's is only going to be effective for a chemically assisted genetic superfreak beacause of the insane volume and wear and tear on the CNS it encourages due to the absurd training styles.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fedorovsky View Post
    if you take protein powder your gonna gain weight.but the guy just want to be the strongest possible for his weight like bruce lee.i dont think bruce lee was taking proteins powder creatine and all that stuff but im just a noob so what i say is ****
    Stop posting.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 11:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 94m View Post

Because getting strong is not about making yourself tired and then continuing to damage your muscles. Getting strong is about lifting something heavier than you lifted the day before.
    If you are panting and sweating like you just ran 5 miles after you get done lifting weights then you are doing it wrong. Gymnasts, who are some seriously strong people P4P lift using high weight, low rep programs when they lift and that's the sort of think you'll eventually want to be doing.

The SIMPLEST route would be to start an already established program like the Stronglifts 5x5 recommended previously. It's proven, it works, if you follow it you will get stronger. After you spend a year or so doing Stornglifts you might change it up for a program that is more specific to your needs. I switched to the Wendler 5/3/1 program which is a tiny bit more complex that stronglifts, but not by much. The program YOU mentioned is hideously complex by comparison and unless you've been lifting for many years and know exactly WTF you're doing probably isn't actually helping you. Keep it simple. Lift heavy things, rest, lift slightly heavier thing.

I weigh just under 150lbs and right now my stats are Bench 195, Squat 215, Deadlift, 260, and OHP 120. That's after about a year of stronglifts 5x5 and a couple months of fapping about with benchpress, and a month of 5/3/1. In that time I added 60lbs to my bench, 30 to my squats, 80 to my deadlift, and 30 to my OHP. Those are some really fucking good improvements and if I make the same kind of improvements over the next 12 months I'll be ecstatic.

Trust me, a solid, simple, established program is what you need.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 6:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    The Cressey article is very sophisticated and way, way more complex than you likely need. You probably don't need undulating periodization. That's not a beginner program!

What is your training age (how long have you weight trained), weight, approximate BF%, and 1RM on some of the big lifts (e.g., Squat, Deadlift, Bench).

Unless you're a weight-class athlete, I'd just do something like stronglifts 5x5 or one of the other good canned beginner programs.
    I've been weight training for the last three years, but usually sports all seasons except summer have gotten in the way for me to be constantly doing it. I looked into the stronglift 5x5. found this, http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/ looks like a very good program, I will be mixing it up with Cressy's article though. I like the idea of lifting the weights fast to enhance the neurological connection

My bench is 205 squat is 255, for deadlifts I have not done my max but I try to rep at least 225. I weight 170 last time I got it I was 16%BF but I have lost 15 pounds since then so I am guessing around 9-12%. Also, I usually do wrestling, but because I had mono I couldn't do it this semester.

HIT is in no way, shape or form a strength building routine. It is purely bodybuilding, and Mentzer's is only going to be effective for a chemically assisted genetic superfreak beacause of the insane volume and wear and tear on the CNS it encourages due to the absurd training styles.
    Ha, maybe it's not the best idea to follow a man who was flying high as a kite on amphetamines his last years of bodybuilding.

Thanks for the input so far

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 7:02pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure stronglifts5x5 will be your best option if that is what you are already squatting, unless that is your 1RM. Also, stronglifts advocates lifting the weight quickly, so read deeper.

If you can easily do 255 squats at 170 for 5 sets of 5, you may want to check out the stronglifts intermediate program or even another one that I think Emevas does or recommends, correct me if I'm wrong, bro, but is it Pavels?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast