Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    Beer sounds good - I was getting quite into real ales last time I was in Cornwall. P.S. Im dew from the judo forum - Im guessing you are the same judoka Uk ? anyway must get on with some work !
    Yeh I already worked out it was you, Dew. There aren't too many Hosaka educated Judoka living in South America, lol.

What's with the ninjutsu and chun in the style field? Please don't tell me you've gone from Judo under a Kodokan 8th dan to chunning and ninjering.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:50am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Yeh I already worked out it was you, Dew. There aren't too many Hosaka educated Judoka living in South America, lol.

What's with the ninjutsu and chun in the style field? Please don't tell me you've gone from Judo under a Kodokan 8th dan to chunning and ninjering.
    Its called "having too much rtime on your hands" - I am trolling the MMA forums by pretending to be a ninja. Its quite fun actually and provides and excellant distraction from the long and boring Phd applications I am wading through....

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 11:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    Its called "having too much rtime on your hands" - I am trolling the MMA forums by pretending to be a ninja. Its quite fun actually and provides and excellant distraction from the long and boring Phd applications I am wading through....
    Lol good stuff. I guess all the cheap beer, beef and lovely ladies out there in Argentina are taking up the rest of your time.

Good luck with the PHD applications.If they're for UK universities Oxford, Imperial, Bath and Edinburgh all have good Judo going on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 3:56pm

Style: Judo noob, BJJ uber noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol good stuff. I guess all the cheap beer, beef and lovely ladies out there in Argentina are taking up the rest of your time.

Good luck with the PHD applications.If they're for UK universities Oxford, Imperial, Bath and Edinburgh all have good Judo going on.
    Which one of them is you then? I had you placed somewhere in the midlands but I can't imagine you not whoring yourself out with a plug :P

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 4:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have given myself a plug.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 4:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice discussion of postive gripping. There are things that everyone needs to know about how to holdthe judogi, how to position the hands, elbow control, etc. I've found that drilling simple grip sequences with emphasis on sleeve control works pretty well for some yonkyu and certainly by sankyu (for teens/adults). I think the whole move/grip/move/throw sequence is very important to have ingrained at an early stage of training, even if it is simplified version. This can go hand in hand with normal technique training, and be added in stages as appropriate for skill level at throwing and moving.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 7:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Nice discussion of postive gripping. There are things that everyone needs to know about how to holdthe judogi, how to position the hands, elbow control, etc. I've found that drilling simple grip sequences with emphasis on sleeve control works pretty well for some yonkyu and certainly by sankyu (for teens/adults). I think the whole move/grip/move/throw sequence is very important to have ingrained at an early stage of training, even if it is simplified version. This can go hand in hand with normal technique training, and be added in stages as appropriate for skill level at throwing and moving.

Ben
    You just can't stop following me around can you? This is supposed to be about me and Dew tentatively feeling our way towards setting up a date, with Judo as a cover story, spoilsport.

I totally agree that core skills of how to grip and use the jacket are key from day one. I don't think I've ever drilled move-grip-move-throw. I mean I've done stuff like in a contest scenario rei, circle, grip, break grip, move, T-up, throw etc...

Lol, in fact a while back we had a European medallist in as a guest coach and our main coach was there as well, the european showed a grip break, move, t-up, throw sequence and some of the guys were struggling so I helped them out. My coach was passing and as I finished demoing the sequence he muttered, 'not bad that'. I told him it had never really clicked before today and that the guest coach had a really good way if explaining things, just to wind him up, lol.

Anyway the normal drills I've done are grip break/ grip set, move, t-up, throw. Although we don't drill that as much as I think we should because a lot of the people don't train often enough/ seriously to do that kind of training and so need constant reinforcement on the basics.

I might start doing it more in the advanced sessions I run, because its a really useful drill.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234