222266 Bullies, 3385 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I still owe Skippy a prize

So, Bullshido user Uncle Skippy won some DVDs and an M-1 t-shirt and didn't respond to my PMs as to where to send them to. So, I figured I'd let him know when he wants it.

Now, to make this more thread-worthy, I've been thinking on how to handle one issue. We got a new kid training with us that claims all kind of experience while his performance indicates that he has none at all. He wants to compete MMA and says he left his last school because he wasn't one of the golden boys but still wants to compete.

A common story but his skills would indicate that he lied a lot about how long he was at the last school before deciding they weren't giving him the training they promised.

The kid seems to be athletic and willing to do the work, but he has problems with both skills and crumbling when he's getting beat. He may also be a little stubborn but it's hard to tell if he's not trying to make corrections or if they are just not sinking in, since he will adjust when you tell him to do something then just sort of fall back to the spazziness he was previously doing.

Now, normally this is just the coach's problem, but given a recent and unexpected expansion in regular class attendance I may be working with him, at least on his hands, a lot. Without beating him to a bloody pulp (sorry guys), does anyone have any suggestions on how to work with this kind of personality?

The Third Man

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 11:03am

Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you tell this little asshat that if he doesn't stop acting like an stubborn ass, he's going to the "punishment room" to get....errr, I mean you should teach him with the love and care Mr. Miyagi did with Daniel-san.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It shouldn’t take beating him to a bloody pulp for him to realize that he’s not as good as he thinks he is, but it may take some lesser level of beating. I think getting some video of him sparring and then bluntly reviewing it with him may be a useful tactic, with liberal use of rewinding and pausing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 11:53am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old is the guy?

If he's older than 15, tell him to man the **** up and start training seriously if he really wants to get into MMA.

If he's younger than 15, he must have Daddy issues, so you should **** his mom.

Actually, in either case: Have sex with his mother. Preferably anal.

The Third Man

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 11:58am

Style: Isshin-Ryu Karate,JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quickly, before Helmutlvx does.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 12:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    So, Bullshido user Uncle Skippy won some DVDs and an M-1 t-shirt and didn't respond to my PMs as to where to send them to. So, I figured I'd let him know when he wants it.
    DO WANT. DO WANT. PM got buried somehow. PM was sent back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Without beating him to a bloody pulp (sorry guys), does anyone have any suggestions on how to work with this kind of personality?
    This is a problem for the instructor/coach. Train how you need to train for you to get something out of it. If that means beating him to a *near* bloody pulp, then that is what you need to do for *you*. Don't sacrifice your mat time. The coach/instructor should address any issues. In short, it isn't your job to hold his hand.

I've been teaching for 5 years now. That doesn't make me an expert in any sense of the word, but I've seen very common themes time and time again. The people who come in with little/no instruction will follow one of two paths:

Group 1: They take feedback, try to correct, take subsequent feedback, the technique finally 'sticks' and they improve.

or

Group 2: They take feedback, do it once, then revert. Repeat that 3,4,5,10,20 times then complain that they aren't progressing then quit.

I explain to both people that we have to 'take them back to zero' (no power, no speed, just technique) and then build them back up. People with ego issues (group 2) don't stick around for the process. Oh well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 2:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where/what did the kid used to train?

Also how often? Because he could have been somewhere for years, but only going once a week.