Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/19/2011 10:21pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we re-post all the finalized details?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/20/2011 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Can we re-post all the finalized details?
    Yeah, I totally suck at event planning....

We're meetin' up at the YMCA - South Miami Version:
    link to gym's page with directions, etc.:
    http://www.ymcamiami.org/LocationSouthDadeYMCA.aspx

Hopefully, I can bring guests in on my wife's membership (I've never actually set foot in a Y). If not, there's freebie passes here:
    http://www.ymcamiami.org/uploads/pdf/YMCAGuestPass.pdf

As HPR pointed out, they didn't update the coupon which expired 12/31. So, I figure if they won't let us in, we'll just roll in the parking lot?

I'm planning to be there about 2 pm, Saturday, 1/22/11. Since it's not my home court, so to speak, I guess others can show up whenever. HPR will be right up the road, and has transport, so there's definitely opportunity to meet up before my sorry ass gets there (Saturdays I spar 12:15 to 13:00, then I have to drive 45-ish miles). If you want to arrange something with him ahead of 2 pm, send him a PM. He's in transit now, I think, so give him until Friday-ish to respond (dunno if he has Internet in transit).

If you're serious about showing up, PM me and I'll shoot you my cell # so that we can better coordinate.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/21/2011 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At Miami right now. I've got transport and laggy net so I'm somewhat on the map. Pm me if you want to arrange something earlier, otherwise I'll be there at 14.00. I'll check my messages later today.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/22/2011 11:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TD/meetup complete.

All you wusses totally missed out. The Y was an awesome choice of venue; besides being free (-ish, I guess my membership counts as paying), there was enough room for - well - for one person to roll by himself, if he was a midget. Plus, the mats were made of high-quality asphalt, the kind usually reserved for superhighways. Lesson learned.

I know I don't draw the ladies and especially the trannies like Lebell does, but actually it was a good thing that nobody else showed up; besides the poor space, the locals were sorta lookin' at us funny (or trying not to look at us) as they got what must have been their first in-person glimpse of teh ghey.

Seriously, though, hpr was a great sport about my novice grappling and my poor choice of venue. He's a super-nice guy, all you South Florida basterds missed out on meeting him, to your detriment. Shame on you all!

Thanks, hpr, and have a great rest-of-the-vacation.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 12:01am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry man. Too short of a notice :(
    next time if I get at least 2 weeks before times are finalized, I'll make it.
    I may organize another TD in north central florida, and make it a hardcore SE regional TD.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 8:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    TD/meetup complete.

All you wusses totally missed out. The Y was an awesome choice of venue; besides being free (-ish, I guess my membership counts as paying), there was enough room for - well - for one person to roll by himself, if he was a midget. Plus, the mats were made of high-quality asphalt, the kind usually reserved for superhighways. Lesson learned.

I know I don't draw the ladies and especially the trannies like Lebell does, but actually it was a good thing that nobody else showed up; besides the poor space, the locals were sorta lookin' at us funny (or trying not to look at us) as they got what must have been their first in-person glimpse of teh ghey.

Seriously, though, hpr was a great sport about my novice grappling and my poor choice of venue. He's a super-nice guy, all you South Florida basterds missed out on meeting him, to your detriment. Shame on you all!

Thanks, hpr, and have a great rest-of-the-vacation.
    Hehe. Daddykata is correct -- the venue was.. interesting. But we showed those giving us long sneaky glances: true men make do with what they have.

It was fun, though. I'm hesitent about trying to teach anyone anything about grappling since I'm crappy myself, but we went through some ultra rudimentary basics and sparred a bit. We got some sweaty, steamy action going and gave the onlookers something to ponder about, so I'd say mission accomplished.

Big thanks to daddykata for organizing this. He turned out to be a really nice guy and not a serial-killer / maniac my travelling companions thought he might be, although the first sight with him looking all James Hetfield -like with his shades on gave them a pause :).

I would have been happy to roll on the grass as long as I get to spar someone. Shame we didn't really have any room or the mats for stand up at all, otherwise Shooto D(C?)-rules style sparring would have been really fun.

PS. Daddykata is twice the man compared to any of you wussies. He took my extra hot turkish pepper salmikki candies like a man, never flinching and lying like a pro. Then again, maybe he's just crazy enough to actually like Finnish candy.

PPS. "unfortunately" no footage of our grappling, since there was only us there and I don't think the onlookers would have wanted to take part in the gayness that was happening in their sanctuary of healthy, hetero self worship. Got a few pics afterwards though :)

Anyway, we're off to the Caribbean. What's that I see in the horizon? .. OH YEAH, RUM!
    Last edited by hpr; 1/23/2011 8:46am at . Reason: typo fixing

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 8:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Sorry man. Too short of a notice :(
    next time if I get at least 2 weeks before times are finalized, I'll make it.
    I may organize another TD in north central florida, and make it a hardcore SE regional TD.
    Gainesville->Miami would been a bit of a hike for you, anyways.

We should have a Bullshido@Disney meetup; all the cool groups go there. In fact, we should plan it to coincide with International Food & Wine Fest, so we can get fed and wasted after sparring.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 8:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    He took my extra hot turkish pepper salmikki candies like a man, never flinching and lying like a pro. Then again, maybe he's just crazy enough to actually like Finnish candy.
    These are yummy. Ate some more on the way home, and after dinner.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 9:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    These are yummy. Ate some more on the way home, and after dinner.
    You'll have to send me your address after we get back home, I can be your international supplier ;)

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 6:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    You'll have to send me your address after we get back home, I can be your international supplier ;)
    I read this morning about how they crush them up and drop them in a bottle of Vodka to make the new Finnish national drink - so, I'm certain to need at least one more bag.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123