Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 5:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Yeah neither of you tried for many takedown as a BJJ Purple belt I expected a lot. That's why I was wondering if it was rules related.

LOL, Never mind I skipped the whole first half of the video the first time I watched this. I just now realized it was multiple fights.
    well, you kinda have a point in that i actually didn't score any takedowns, but that was part of the plan.

my strategy was to make them chase me around and hurt them standing, make them want to give up striking and go for the takedown. then i'd sprawl down on them, or if i ended up on my back i was pretty confident i could pull off quick subs, as i was expecting that my ground work would be better than most people entering the comp. basically i wanted them to expend more energy than me everywhere.

the other thing was that they tend to stand people up a lot and you don't get points for position.

so that all worked for the first 2 guys. got 2 subs off their frustrated takedown attempts.

my final opponent won his first 2 matches within about 30 seconds each by submission, he was MUCH better than my other opponents. when he took me down in the last few seconds, i was actually pretty comfortable being there and looking forward to setting up a sub, but didn't realise i was about to run out of time. also in the second half i'd hurt my right ankle, which made me reluctant to move and kick. oh yeah, and my balls hurt.

there are a couple of things i'll do different next time, i enjoyed it and i may enter a few more.

EDIT - well, i scored one takedown in the second match, but my opponent practically gave it to me so it doesn't count in my mind.
    Last edited by danno; 10/18/2010 5:36am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 5:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Is this rule set a common thing in Pantration, is that suppose to be pankration or am I confusing the two?
    someone just sent me a PM asking a similar question, so i'll just post my response:

the people who ran the comp are here:

http://auspankration.com/

here's the ruleset i fought under:

http://auspankration.files.wordpress...es-summary.pdf

no points are given for position, and standups are pretty common. if you want to pull off a sub, it has to be quick.

they're affiliated with these people:

http://www.fila-grappling.com

they hold world championships and so on, which is great. it's possible to represent your country in it!
    Last edited by danno; 10/18/2010 5:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 1:30pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy fucking ****, you went fucking airborne dude! Damn. I got one not nearly as bad as that and got a bad fucking bone bruise (not boner bruise). I don't wanna know how that felt/looks now...

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 1:56pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just quickly, at judo a few months ago I tried the groin first strategy on someone's rising knee during newaza. Obviously not as devastating a strike as yours, danno, but I wasn't wearing a groin guard and it soon turned from "what just happened?" to "oh ****, *dry reach*, oh **** **** shhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit". The guy calmly made me turtle and booted my coccix (I think that is how it is spelt, the tail bone) a couple of times. I thought he was adding injury to an already insulting injury, but almost immediately the pain dissapated. Apparently it is an old soccer trick, as soccer guys know all about the male groin area.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 2:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've had to abort a triangle in a BJJ comp because one of my nuts had popped up towards my abdomen. really frigging uncomfortable. managed to pop it back down during a pause in action though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 2:44am

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some sweet leg kicks too.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 4:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So did Joe Rogan show up and insist that he be allowed to watch the replay over and over again?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "let's see that again... OOH! now from a different angle... DAMN! right in the pills man. look at that. that's gotta affect his performance from now on. and again... OUCH! this happens like 4 times every UFC man..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 5:48am

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is why I switched to high end hockey cups a long time ago, its one of those things I don't mind spending a little extra for quality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 8:30am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    i've had to abort a triangle in a BJJ comp because one of my nuts had popped up towards my abdomen. really frigging uncomfortable. managed to pop it back down during a pause in action though.
    This **** happens to me to :D
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123