Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My Workout

Hi, I thought I'd post the workout we (myself and fellow pre-season condo) people have been going through and hopefully get some general advice and opinions, as well as some answers to some questions I have. We have been roughly training for a month and a half.
    This is what our general plan looks like: Monday:Speed and Agility drills, lifting. Tuesday: Workout with coach (usually not in gym, but may use medicine balls and weights). Wednesday: Plyometrics and lifting. Thursday: Workout with coach. Friday; Speed and Agility (generally on the track), lifting.

This is the workout that we have gone through for the last two weeks or so. Keep in mind that last friday and this monday there was no school or training.
    Also, I am doing this condo for either hockey or wrestling.

My questions are the following: I feel that there is not enough ab workout, should I do abdominal exercises on my own? If so which ones do you recommend and how many?
    On saturdays and sunday's should I do a routine of my own? An easygoing one? General one? What exercises, how many reps? Or should I rest?

Here is the actual workout:

Friday October 1
    800 meter sprint. (8 sets) 400 meter sprints, (6 sets) 300 meter sprints, (4 sets) 100 meter sprints. Lifting follows, 8 exercises, 3 sets of each. General workout concentrated around legs. (lots of squatting).
    Run 1.3 miles to dojo. 1 hour 30 min, of jiu-jitsu training, with intense warm up and open mat afterwards (sparring). Run back.

Saturday October 2
    Run 1.3 miles to dojo. 1 hour 30 min, of jiu-jitsu training, with intense warm up and open mat afterwards (sparring). Run back.

Monday October 4
    (30 meter sprints) Roughly 30 of them. Lifting follows, roughly around 8 different exercises concentrated around the legs, 3 sets of each exercise.

Tuesday October 5
    (2 sets) 12 pound med ball throw as high as possible against wall then squat down, 50 meter sprint, run up 20 stairs, pull on rope holding 100 pounds, extend rope re pull until edge is reached (roughly 50 yards), run back to other side while pulling weight behind. 65 pound weight, lift up on arm until completely vertical (15 each arm), 50 sumo lifts with 80 pound weight, 10 squats each arm with 75 pounds while holding weight up.

(1 set) 50 quick horizontal ball tosses against wall while squatting. Pull 100 pound weight 50 yards while running backwards, pull it 50 yards back while holding rope under legs and back in a horizontal position. 100 yard walk (per weight) with 65, 75 and 80 pound weight (alternating hands every 50 yards).

Wednesday October 6
    250 squats from different positions. (3 sets) 15 jumps on vertomax machine. (3 sets) 20 jumps on box, 10 from each perpendicular direction. (3 sets) 1 min of jumping on roughly meter high box.
    Lifting follows, roughly around 8 different exercises concentrated around the legs, 3 sets of each exercise.

Thursday October 7
    (Roughly 50 steps) (5 sets): 1 foot each step. Skip 1. Skip 2. (3 sets each leg) 1 legged hop. 10 sprints up steps, 30 second rest between each.

Friday October 15

Saturday October 16

Tuesday October 12 (Supposed to be a "mental" workout, in essence trying to show us that we can push through anything if we want it enough)
    Push ups with feet on top of partners neck, forming a square. (10 sets) 20 seconds with 2 actual push ups in the 20 seconds, rest just holding position. (10 sets) 50 yard sprints.

5 Burpees, 10 push ups, 15 air squats, 50 yard sprint. (5 sets)

Wednesday October 13
    45 pound bar with 20 pounds of weight on it (Exercise with partner, rest period is time it takes partner to finish) (5 sets total):
    10 Dead lifts. 8 Similar to dead lift, but weight is picked up, slightly bent knees and then back straightens up and chest out. 10 Rows with back bent almost horizontally. 8 Power cleans. 10 Lifting bar over head from power clean position. 6 Bar over head lunges. 10 Squats with bar behind neck.

8 sets for each exercise, 20 seconds per set, 10 second rest between set. Burpees (jump up, reach up), Air Squats, Push ups, Curl ups.

Thursday October 14
    Steps (roughly around 20 of them):
    (5 reps each), 2 feet per step, 1 foot per step, Skip 1 step, Skip 2 steps, Skip 3 steps. Bunny Hops, Bunny Hops skip 1, Bunny Hops skip 2, Bunny Hops skip 3. 10 reps going as fast as possible.

Medicine Ball (20 pounds) (Each rep was approximately 20-30 secs):
    90 degree angle knees, back against wall, slamming ball to each side (4 reps)
    Touching lower side then touching upper opposite side of wall. (Diagonal) (2 reps each side)
    Slam ball under feet then over head, standing close but not touching wall (4 reps)

Repeat all exercises alternating between standing only on left and then right foot. (2 sets per foot)

Sit on floor with feet against wall, slam ball too each side (Russian twists) (2 sets)
    Repeat exercise but slam ball against each side then wall. (2 sets)
    Repeat but slam ball between ever side slam (2 sets)
    Arms extended upward throw ball against wall, catch and stretch back (15 degrees from vertical) then re throw. (2 sets)

Thanks in advance for any tips and help. Sorry for the wall of text :P. Sorry if this type of post is not allowed.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Umm, you left out one very important thing.
    WTF Are your training goals?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad, training goals are to be overall stronger, have better cardio and hopefully lose some weight in the process (will probably be replaced with muscle weight). We stretch everyday so better flexibility for Jiu Jitsu/Hockey goalie is included. Basically anything that will help me become a better athlete.

Also I have scholiosis however the doctor said that the curve is not increasing so it does not need to ber operated on. I was told that the only way it would affect me would be that I would never be able to lift as much weight as someone my size would (obviously same conditioning). Is this all I should be worried about? Or is there a possibility of certain exercises increasing the curvature? (Dead lift?)

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:40pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that. I've had scholiosis for 20 fucking years and I deadlift like a madman. Just means a I have one side of my back way overdeveloped because it picks up the slack for the fucked up side.
    I stretch it properly like my doc told me to do, and I don't have troubles. Lifting weights has reduced the amount of back pain I have in general.

Your goals are all over the place though. It's REALLY hard to train for 4-5 goals at the same time. Also, your goals are vague. "Overall stronger"? Compared to what? "Better cardio" better than what?
    As an example of concrete goals:
    My current long term goal is to have a combined Bench+Squat+Deadlift of 900lbs. In the short term that means I've got to get my squats up from 190 to 300 and my deadlift from 250 to 400, and my bench has to get the last few lbs up to 200. I have a program in place that, if I stick it it, will get me there over the next 12-18 months.

You need specifics so that you can measure progress and see how effective your training is for your goals.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok good too know about the scholiosis.

I realize that my goals seem very broad but when I am training for hockey or wrestling I feel that they are justified in the sense that both sports require a lot of different muscle groups and overall conditioning/flexibility/coordination.

We did initial testing, so I have my initial mile time, dead lift, bench press, squat, pull ups, sit ups, push ups and sprints. I'm hoping to increase all of these by the end of the season. I know for a fact that I've increased most of them, I just feel that as far as the sit ups go I am lacking. I did around 10 on initial testing, not because I was completley out of shape, but simply because they were done with my legs on the ground and there was no one standing on my feet. I feel that I have very big legs, due to being a hockey goalie and have huge difficulties in getting over 15 if my legs are stuck to the ground. However when we switch to crunches, etc I can usually out preform other people who do more of the "traditional" ones.

So I guess to summarize the purpose of this thread is what do you guys think overall of my current workout with my goals being increasing my cardio times, and my strength. And what do you think about the sit ups, should I do more on other days, how often? Finally should I be training on weekends as well, light or heavy?

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:13pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Jiujitsu itself is a lot of core work, I rarely find a need for supplemental core strength workouts. When I do I add the specific movement I feel like I need more ab strength for into my warmups. Example, if I feel like I'm not getting a strong enough situp sweep in jits because my abs aren't strong enough, then I'll put situp sweeps into my warmup and do 20-30 each side.

I used to do a lot of core work with an Ab Wheel (AKA Evil Wheel) though. Adding some core work to your warmup won't hurt you, but you are doing a LOT of stuff right now, rest is JUST as important as exercise. So make sure you are getting plenty of rest. I'd skip lifting on the weekends, give your body time to recover and adapt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 1:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, thanks I appreciate the help. One last thing. What is a good rest period between exercises 1-2 days? I'm thinking of doing bicycle crunches or something along the lines of that when I finish a workout, however I've been told that you should not work on the same exercise group everyday, yet I've been told that this is not true by other people as well... It makes sense that the muscles need time to recover, however how much time? 1 day on 1 day off?

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 2:33am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You dont wanna be doing LOTS of cardio before you're lifting as you will not get the same gains if your muscles are already fatigued.

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 6:19am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your abs are one of the muscles you can work every day and not really worry about it.
    If you're young a day between exercising the same muscle group is probably enough, as you get older or start lifting heavier you'll want to increase the rest time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 6:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok as far as ab exercises go should I just do 1 or multiple? What are some good ones that work out the whole abdominal area including the obliques? Should I do sets or go 1 set until I can do no more?

Thanks for the help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast