Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, if you want to explore being a switch fighter go for it.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:49pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything to make training more interesting.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 5:19am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a TKD guy, I have a tendency of switching stances a lot. It is just something that has been kind of ingrained in me from the start. It makes for a good head game when fighting point style, as that is how most of those guys play and it allows for setups of varying leg techniques and counters.

I have a tendency of fighting southpaw for a couple of reasons, but still using switch stances.

First, when sparring I like to be in a stance where I can get kumikata comfortably. I train throwing both sides in judo, but being a righty, I am more comfortable southpaw.

Second, my right leg is my stronger leg, and it is faster. I like to use front leg kicks if at all possible, because they are faster, and less telegraphed IMHO, than a back leg kick. I will switch stances depending on what my sparring partner is doing or if I am working on a counter leg technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 7:25am

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because of Krav's Idea of continuous combat motion. I don't really switch stances, but if I end up in an opposite stance I will fight from it. (I'm right handed btw)

For example I like to throw a right push kick and instead of putting the foot back, I come forward (which would put me in my opposite stance) and jab with my right. It's something I like and try to work on a lot.

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 9:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I'm not saying switching stances is bad, but I don't really get the need for training in the opposite stance. [...] Drills, like doing combinations where your rear foot lands forward after a kick are great, but that's not really the same as training in the opposite stance.
    For firing off attack combos no, but it's important to drill your reactionary/defensive drills in the opposite stance if you want to fight from it, not just continue to attack after taking a full step.

You line up differently trying to deal with punches from the opposite side and I doubt things like pivots and sidesteps will feel natural on that side if you don't drill them from it.
    Last edited by maofas; 10/15/2010 9:35am at .

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 1:11pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 8:11pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really depends on what you are going for in your training, and the type of fighting you plan on doing.

In my class we work both sides. Being basically a southpaw, I tend to fight in said stance. However, when I started my training my instructor only worked in "normal" stance (he was a gold gloves boxer before MA). This, IMO, slowed my learning curve. I was working against my bodies natural tendencies. There was a period of time I went almost strictly southpaw. Now I fight however my feet end up, some times I will switch deliberately to get the better of my opponent or make them work from there "wrong" side.

When talking about self defense, you need to be able to strike with speed and power from virtually any position. Hence the need to be comfortable in either stance.

Everyone has a stronger or preferred side, work that side, but I think a well rounded marial arts fighter will be able to fight comfortably from either side. Boxing different story.

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 9:54pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm torn on switch-hitting, its one of those things you should either do well or not at all, and the vast majority of people i see are doing it poorly.

Training in orthodox stance for a few months (i'm a natural southpaw) has improved my game a fair bit. Oddly enough although my intention was to become a switch hitter what really improved the most was my southpaw versus southpaw game. Once you learn the different angles, combinations and counters it transfers rather easily back to your other stance.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2010 2:26pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing that I was thinking of, is that if you do something that
    landed you in the opposite stance, knowing to fight from it would be advantageous. Normally if I throw a right push kick, land forward, right jab combo. I follow with a retreating jab. However, if I could work angles and defend myself from my reverse stance, it would mean I would not have to give up space gained or spend time adjusting my stance.

Posted On:
    10/16/2010 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NGNK if you continued to attack after the 2nd jab and took a step forward, you'd also wind up in your normal stance and not have to give back space.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast