Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:58am

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    I really don't see the need for specifically training for stance switching. If you have a natural, balanced posture, you should be able to proficiently strike for any position.
    One of my coaches is an ex-kyokushin (www.dragonmma.ca). Told me when he competed Kyokushin guys seem to use it when one side is injured to protect it. Atleast thats his experience.

Of course, the rebuttal is that you will just get the other side hurt if you are not as good leading the other stance, as you got your ass kicked with your prefered side forward, you probably wont do any better with your bad side leading.

Im sure we can make this as long as the other threads though argueing. Meh.....

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46 View Post
    One of my coaches is an ex-kyokushin (www.dragonmma.ca). Told me when he competed Kyokushin guys seem to use it when one side is injured to protect it. Atleast thats his experience.

Of course, the rebuttal is that you will just get the other side hurt if you are not as good leading the other stance, as you got your ass kicked with your prefered side forward, you probably wont do any better with your bad side leading.

Im sure we can make this as long as the other threads though argueing. Meh.....
    I'm not saying switching stances is bad, but I don't really get the need for training in the opposite stance. There will be circumstances where I will strike with my lead foot back, and it's good to be able to do this since your feet will not always be where you intend, but I've never bothered with this way. Drills, like doing combinations where your rear foot lands forward after a kick are great, but that's not really the same as training in the opposite stance.

I have my students do a lot of these types of drills to promote good balance and flow.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 11:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Switch stance and see if you get your ass kicked. If you do you weren't ready yet. Switch back.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 11:29am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Switch stance and see if you get your ass kicked. If you do you weren't ready yet. Switch back.

No. Bad Shark.:violent1:

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying switching stances is bad, but I don't really get the need for training in the opposite stance. There will be circumstances where I will strike with my lead foot back, and it's good to be able to do this since your feet will not always be where you intend, but I've never bothered with this way. Drills, like doing combinations where your rear foot lands forward after a kick are great, but that's not really the same as training in the opposite stance.

I have my students do a lot of these types of drills to promote good balance and flow.
    Ah i hear ya. Point well taken.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 12:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Thread won....

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 1:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't see the need for specifically training for stance switching. If you have a natural, balanced posture, you should be able to proficiently strike for any position.
    This.

I occasionally switch stances so I can take a bigger step forward or if I'm moving forward while employing head movement, and although never traininf southpaw I've never found myself incapable of throwing strikes from those positions.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 2:52pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If something feels awkward you should train it. and then try it out in sparring with a partner who will work with you. Kid Spatula taught me that there are times to spar just to develop techniques and times to spar where you just wanna have a fun fight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    This.

I occasionally switch stances so I can take a bigger step forward or if I'm moving forward while employing head movement, and although never traininf southpaw I've never found myself incapable of throwing strikes from those positions.
    Either im over thinking it or I should just TRAIN THE **** MORE!!!! BLAH!!!!!

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It always comes down to that doesn't it....
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast