Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 7:18pm

Style: Hop Gar/CLF/Balintawak

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jamal Al Bakkar Lama Pai and Hung Gar manuals

Anyone familiar with the training manuals associated with Jamal Al Bakkar or his publishing house(Hung Gar forms/history and Tibetan Lama Pai)? I am curious as to the content of the manuals and if any valuable information is contained within, they tend to be very expensive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 9:04pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has Anyone Seen This Book On Lama Pai? - Kung Fu Magazine Forums

This might help you out.

I wouldn't bother, if this is what I think it is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 10:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    Has Anyone Seen This Book On Lama Pai? - Kung Fu Magazine Forums

This might help you out.

I wouldn't bother, if this is what I think it is.

I checked out this website and I took note of the comment that the manual(referring to "Secret Sects of Tibetan Lama Kung Fu" authored by Dorje Dradul and Jamaal Al Bakkar) was written like a grade school student essay, contained articles from old martial arts magazines, and also contained some "gems" of information. With that said I was curious for other opinions if anyone has read or is in possession of copies.
    I also have seen on the internet a copy of a manual supposedly authored by Hop Gar Sifu David Chin entitled "Hop Gar: Tibetan Lama Kung Fu" published by Jamaal Al Bakkar. I do not know David Chin personally, but he is respected in the Hop Gar community, hence my question about the content of the manuals.
    All said, the "Secrets Sects..." manual goes for $222 and $350 from bookstores selling out of print books. So the gems better be in carats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2010 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you happen to study Hung Gar or Hop Gar? I'm sure that whatever you get from your sifu and USE PERSONALLY TO FIGHT will be a lot more important to you than what some other dude put in a book so many years ago.

For the prices you quoted, I'd really not bother with it. I doubt anyone here would.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2010 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    Do you happen to study Hung Gar or Hop Gar? I'm sure that whatever you get from your sifu and USE PERSONALLY TO FIGHT will be a lot more important to you than what some other dude put in a book so many years ago.

For the prices you quoted, I'd really not bother with it. I doubt anyone here would.
    With respect to your first question, I do train in Hop Gar.I agree, my primary teachings come from my sifu and my own experience. The experience part also relies on listening(or reading) to what others have to say about the style that I train in, absorb what makes sense and discard what doesn't. Also if the information contained in the manual is false then this a great forum to expose the truth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2010 11:57am

Style: This and that.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought "36 Fist Styles of Hung Gar" some time ago and I rather wish I hadn't.

The book itself is very sketchy, with some vague Hung Gar exercises. The pages are only printed on one side, bound together in a plastic spiral notebook fashion.

Nothing noteworthy about the information contained therein.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2010 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Yun View Post
    I bought "36 Fist Styles of Hung Gar" some time ago and I rather wish I hadn't.

The book itself is very sketchy, with some vague Hung Gar exercises. The pages are only printed on one side, bound together in a plastic spiral notebook fashion.

Nothing noteworthy about the information contained therein.
    Thanks for the heads-up. I got my hands on a copy of the Hop Gar manual.. I will write a review in the book section.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured the book wasn't worth it.