Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 11:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Remember that infamous 'womens' self-defense neck break' video?

Well, I went to find it on YouTube again this morning, thinking of linking it in this site's video section - basically for the lulz.

This is it, for those who don't know it:
    YouTube - Women's Self Defense for Rear Assaults : Women's Self Defense Neck Break
    (I don't think that this is from the Aikido curriculum - though if Hugo or someone wants to correct me on that... nor can I say that it's definitely anything to do with the teachings of the following guys)

Watching again, I found myself thinking that this is perhaps the second most irresponsible and ill-informed self-defence video I've ever seen (first in line was a guy who was telling kids to stand their ground against adults in an attempted abduction situation and apply wristlocks to subdue until help arrived) and I considered for a while whether it was worth opening up a MABS thread about this lady (Mallory Senne - Shodan in aikido and kyusho, according to the video description). However, I could find no reference online to her actually teaching in the real world, so I cooled on the idea.

However, I did find out the name of her teacher. This is he - Mr. Gary Boaz (Ms. Senne is also a uke in some of his expertvillage Aikido videos, FWIW).

YouTube - Gary Boaz Kyusho knock outs
    YouTube - Gary Boaz 2006 IKC France
    YouTube - Gary Boaz 2006 IKC France part 2

...and following it upstream, this would appear to be *his* teacher, Mr. Evan Pantazi - http://www.kyusho.com/

YouTube - Evan Pantazi
    YouTube - Master Evan Pantazi
    YouTube - New Knockouts
    (there's loads more stuff on YouTube)

...and then I found myself thinking that this all seemed rather silly and difficult to take seriously at all. Actually, I felt like banging my head on my desk for a moment at the very idea that people *still* believe that this sort of thing will work as seen in the demonstrations against people who aren't prepared to 'go with the flow'.

Anyone know anything about these folks? From what I can gather, Pantazi was one of Dillman's students (colour me surprised!) at some point.

So that's what I've been doing with my afternoon.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I still to this day demonstrate the "two way action" whenever I talk about BS in martial arts. She also has a horrible video on how to defend a front choke that will get you killed. Good job finding this stuff, it sure is a long line of craptastic teachers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have found that two way action only works in sex.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:02pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A wonderful way of turning 'self defense' into 'attempted murder'. That is, if it works in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:14pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    A wonderful way of turning 'self defense' into 'attempted murder'. That is, if it works in the first place.
    Well, if it works then it would be murder, right? It's only attempted murder if it DOESN'T work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:14pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tantivy22 View Post
    I have found that two way action only works in sex.
    I think we have a winner, gentlemen.

I'm also refusing to get into a "Do pressure points work?" discussion. But an "Aikidon't Sucks" thread sounds good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 2:19pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fail to see how tapping with her knuckles is going to break that grip.... or why someone would then hold their hand up just so to get grabbed, heh... What does she think she is doing??

I tried to use a pressure point on my sensei once. He laughed and took me down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 3:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    You know I still to this day demonstrate the "two way action" whenever I talk about BS in martial arts. She also has a horrible video on how to defend a front choke that will get you killed. Good job finding this stuff, it sure is a long line of craptastic teachers.
    Is this the one

YouTube - Women's Self Defense Against Frontal Attacks : Self Defense Against Two Hand Chokes

Also I find it funny that the comments on those videos are either a) "This sucks/wouldn't work" or b) "omg I would have with her teh secks".

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 3:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't those the only two valid replies to that video? It's not like there's going to be a lot of testimonials regarding the use of the knee break as a choke defense. Unless it's in third-person or as a post-mortem kinda thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 3:30pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    b) "omg I would have with her teh secks".
    I wouldn't do it.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast