1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 9:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

AR15 22LR conversion reviews?

I'm seriously considering getting a 22LR conversion for my AR so I can get more rounds through it at an indoor range. So I have a couple questions about them.

1) Is there a overwhelmingly favored brand?
    2) Do you have one, do you like it?
    3) Will sighting in at 25ish yards with 22LR be even close for the real ammo?
    4) I've heard 22LR is dirty, how dirty is dirty?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 9:30am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Is there a overwhelmingly favored brand?

I had a Spike's Tactical for quite a while and it was amazing, but I needed some cash and had to sell it. I want to get another one or a CMMG. They are both very good. I would avoid the Ciener, it is not quite as good, but iis still workable

2) Do you have one, do you like it?

Had one and loved it. Super cheap way to go, but now there are other options available(M&P 15-22).

3) Will sighting in at 25ish yards with 22LR be even close for the real ammo?

I sighted mine in at 50 and it did not kill my sighting with my standard 5.56. It should not be a problem. If it is, then get a Smith and Wesson.

4) I've heard 22LR is dirty, how dirty is dirty?

Dirty may be a bit of an understatement. Mine was just plain filthy. I got some cleaner that was designed for the GAU-8 and used that to clean it. Be prepared to scrub that thing down.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 11:58am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as dirtiness goes, this weekend I ran about 100 individual swabs through the barrel of my .22lr rifle before just giving up on getting all the carbon out from shooting about 50 rounds through it.

Why not just get an AR pattern 22lr? There are tons of them on the market at the moment. Example:

http://www.hyattgunstore.com/smith-w...-15-rifle.html

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 12:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly because $150 < $500
    But also my goal is to not feel guilty about never using the damn AR15 I built. Getting a new gun won't make me feel better about the gun I already have and don't use.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 6:58pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sell the AR and get a 22lr version. I am doing that at this very moment. I am selling my 24" barrel AR and planning on buying a 22lr version.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2010 12:17pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I have to throw my two cents in. Sorry.

.22 converstion kits cause training scars! If you don't train the way you fight, you are doing yourself a great diservice. I have a Spikes Tactical kit, and it works great. However, these kits are good for trigger work, and that's about it. If you're training with your AR, you should be doing all of the things that you will do in a fight. You should be doing reloads, malfunction clearance, and all other firearms manipulations.

Recently I bought a S&W AR15-22 ($380), and I must admit, this gun is the best for training! It does all the same stuff your full size AR will, and that is consistency in training. The best part is the mag shoots out the mag well. This really excites me, as I will launch a mag down the firing line!

Also, conversion kits won't allow you to lock the bolt to the rear. The S&W AR15-22 will. The mags I have for the conversion kit won't drop or "shoot" out of the mag well like the S&W will. These are two very important parts of training, as you need to see your gun run dry, and have the bolt lock to the rear. When the bolt is locked to the rear, you need the mag to drop free, because you don't want training scars in the form of always having to strip the mag out. The S&W mags slide right out, making speed reloads possible.

Bottom line is, get this S&W, it's worth the money, and it won't cause training scars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/17/2010 6:02pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the S&W mp15-22 is receiving great reviews on forums with real shooters. there some areas were you should be shooting your AR in training and otheres were you can sub in the M&P

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 2:13am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    As far as dirtiness goes, this weekend I ran about 100 individual swabs through the barrel of my .22lr rifle before just giving up on getting all the carbon out from shooting about 50 rounds through it.
    Boresnake. fin.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 5:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, those drop in .22lr conversion kits are...awesome. .22 ammo is as cheap as your mother, and just plain fuckin' fun to shoot.

Thing is, and this is from experience, son, you ABSOLUTELY MUST shoot JACKETED .22LR ROUNDS THROUGH IT. Hell, you should do it for any gun that isn't A) Piston operated or B)bolt action. Well, you should do it anyway, because unjacketed rounds will foul the fucking **** out of your barrel.

So here's the thing, if you put unjacketed rounds through that sexy mofo, the gas port will get clogged with lead, the barrel will foul to the point where its "smoothbore" ;) and the conversion kit can actually get "welded" into your rifle. Trust me, all of this happened to me.

SO yeah, my conversion kit is the ****, and I love it. Just make sure you're putting jacketed .22lr through it.

also, .22 ammo is a dirty, nasty little girl. You know, its the kind of girl you love to **** because she's real nasty, easy and great in bed, you just wouldn't do it without a condom.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey