Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 10:31am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Risuke Otake has been publishing on the Tenshin Shoden Katori ryu since 1967. His three volume book series Diety and the Sword is a bi-lingual publication which was co-written with Donn Draeger. His 2009 publication Katori Shinto Ryu is a condensation of the original three volume set.

Considering this, it may be possible that Otake would discuss some elements of training with someone he considered credible and interested.

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 10:38am

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This whole Cummins story is a train wreck -- and I can't look away.

I saw his Hattori Hanzo book and Shoninki translation (using the term loosely) advertised on Amazon and I was genuinely excited.

Then I began to see some initial feedback on his books and thought, "You know, I've spent enough money on crappy ninja books already in my life. If this is going to be just barely above the level of an Ashida Kim book, I think I'll pass. Let the Naruto-loving kids read it."

Then I saw his "teacher," Bartram, and I thought, "That's the kind of Booj training I'm trying to move away from. I'm glad I'm passing on this."

Then I saw him dodge questions on MAP and thought, "He's the second coming of Ralph S3v3r3!"

And finally, I saw the video and thought, "Dear God! What is he doing with that pig?!" This is exactly the kind of stunt that keeps credentialed academics away from anything to with Ninjutsu.

As a hypothetical, I could see a gifted and dedicated amateur producing quality research. However, Mr. Cummins has not engaged in any behavior that encourages me to take his work seriously. Although he is touting his efforts as casting a spotlight on Ninjutsu, I believe he is doing far more harm. (I realize many here will think Ninjutsu's reputation couldn't possibly be any worse.)

In retrospect, the idea of a paperback Shoninki is probably slightly less absurd than the notion of a paperback Necronomicon. I shouldn't have been so optimistic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 10:51am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

As a hypothetical, I could see a gifted and dedicated amateur producing quality research. However, Mr. Cummins has not engaged in any behavior that encourages me to take his work seriously. Although he is touting his efforts as casting a spotlight on Ninjutsu, I believe he is doing far more harm. (I realize many here will think Ninjutsu's reputation couldn't possibly be any worse.)
    I agree and don't think they have to be gifted just be gracious and logical. A few respected or gifted researchers earned that title after pursuing a hobby.

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jujutsu Judo Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Antony cummins is a total nutbag, to be honest with you guys i dont even thing he has all the qualifications he claims to have. What i do know about him is that he trained in the bujinkan for 10 years and he got mad cause he didnt pass 5th dan. This was the begging of his BS. Then he went back again and hatsumi borught up the fact that he owes the bujinkan lots of money and he threw a fit and hatsumi sent him home for the day.

Then he moved on to the genbukan in which he didnt last a very long time due to the fact that he pissed off tanemura. His research group consists of yoshie which a lot of people seem to think its his Gf (which by the way was the one who pushed him to do what hes been doing ) like writting books on a matter he isnt qualified on!

The other part of the group is a bunch of internet youtube trolls who are from japan but none of them practice any martial arts. He likes to listen to them and if anyone suplplies any other prove against what hes saying he will ignore it and continue talking no sense. Honestly to me its a marketing strategy to move his books considering he has zero credibility in England and this was said by a friend of his.

He just added steven Nojiri to his "research team" if you guys arent familiar with him he was genbukan and got kicked out after fighting his instructor. Hes been banned from ebudo and MAP for lying and saying he lived in japan. Also for posting anti bujinkan claims and such. He said a few times he had ties to the fukushima ryu ninja family and hes scrolls got taken away by the iga ninja museum. LOL veryh ninja like. In addition he took over his wifes lastname to he seems japanese when hes a white guy from baltimore. LOL

He also tried playing the role of his brother sayin it was his brother was the one poasting stuff under his account . Then joined again forums saying it wasnt him and saying togakure was real and trying to fish information so he could learn....

Anyways guys i hope you guys enjoy i will keep coming back with more info

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 3:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post

Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū.

(I still have to cut+paste that)
    Or you could type it if you read Japanese - 天真正伝香取神道流 :-)
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassai View Post
    Lol , i've actually started dabbling in a bit of booj , hence reading the thread.
    If they ask you to punch them, just be sure it's a shift-in reverse punch to the face from a realistic range and not one of those super long lunging vertical fist ninjer punches, or my ghost will haunt you forever.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 6:12pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    If they ask you to punch them, just be sure it's a shift-in reverse punch to the face from a realistic range and not one of those super long lunging vertical fist ninjer punches, or my ghost will haunt you forever.
    Oh,that was one of the very first things i done when i got there,the look of bewilderment was priceless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 6:15pm

Style: shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodhonortruth View Post
    Antony cummins is a total nutbag, to be honest with you guys i dont even thing he has all the qualifications he claims to have. What i do know about him is that he trained in the bujinkan for 10 years and he got mad cause he didnt pass 5th dan. This was the begging of his BS. Then he went back again and hatsumi borught up the fact that he owes the bujinkan lots of money and he threw a fit and hatsumi sent him home for the day.

Then he moved on to the genbukan in which he didnt last a very long time due to the fact that he pissed off tanemura. His research group consists of yoshie which a lot of people seem to think its his Gf (which by the way was the one who pushed him to do what hes been doing ) like writting books on a matter he isnt qualified on!

The other part of the group is a bunch of internet youtube trolls who are from japan but none of them practice any martial arts. He likes to listen to them and if anyone suplplies any other prove against what hes saying he will ignore it and continue talking no sense. Honestly to me its a marketing strategy to move his books considering he has zero credibility in England and this was said by a friend of his.

He just added steven Nojiri to his "research team" if you guys arent familiar with him he was genbukan and got kicked out after fighting his instructor. Hes been banned from ebudo and MAP for lying and saying he lived in japan. Also for posting anti bujinkan claims and such. He said a few times he had ties to the fukushima ryu ninja family and hes scrolls got taken away by the iga ninja museum. LOL veryh ninja like. In addition he took over his wifes lastname to he seems japanese when hes a white guy from baltimore. LOL

He also tried playing the role of his brother sayin it was his brother was the one poasting stuff under his account . Then joined again forums saying it wasnt him and saying togakure was real and trying to fish information so he could learn....

Anyways guys i hope you guys enjoy i will keep coming back with more info
    Can you back any of this up ?
    Especially the failing 5th dan and Hatsumi kicking him out incidents.

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 9:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassai View Post
    Can you back any of this up ?
    Especially the failing 5th dan and Hatsumi kicking him out incidents.
    You wont find this type of info online but people like Greg Chapman (bujinkan) in England can comfirm this ....also a bunch of bujinkan shihan knows about it....check out his youtube channel people throw that in his face all the time and all hes says is i trained with denis for 10 years as a matter fact 4th dan was given orally too acording to the sources ....also he ows money to the bujinkan?

Posted On:
    1/10/2011 9:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodhonortruth View Post
    You wont find this type of info online but people like Greg Chapman (bujinkan) in England can comfirm this ....also a bunch of bujinkan shihan knows about it....check out his youtube channel people throw that in his face all the time and all hes says is i trained with denis for 10 years as a matter fact 4th dan was given orally too acording to the sources ....also he ows money to the bujinkan?
    And yes he was sent home by hatsumi.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast