Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Here's MacYoung's site: http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/
    His fighting technique I would not know. But his self awareness thingy is interesting. Any experienced opinions on him?
    Well I've got an opinion anyway.

Mc Young's point appears to be that fighting and self-defence have very little to do with one another. So from that point (which I agree with) the site is very good.

I would, however disagree with his views on learning to fight. He appears to be one of those guys who entered TMAs already able to fight (ie. with an effective delivery system) and was therefore able to add some "tricks" to what he already knew. This gave him the (probably correct) idea that these systems could not teach someone who could not fight, how to fight. He has many of the same criticisms of TMAs/RBSD that I have seen from people here. The problem is that, whilst he advises against people taking his route to achieving functional skill, he does not really offer an alternative path.

So:

Good: Offers practical advice on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of violence. Also good advice on legal issues surrounding violence.

Bad: Missed the "aliveness" train when it left the station.

Ugly: Yes, he is.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 8:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Well I've got an opinion anyway.

Mc Young's point appears to be that fighting and self-defence have very little to do with one another. So from that point (which I agree with) the site is very good.

I would, however disagree with his views on learning to fight. He appears to be one of those guys who entered TMAs already able to fight (ie. with an effective delivery system) and was therefore able to add some "tricks" to what he already knew. This gave him the (probably correct) idea that these systems could not teach someone who could not fight, how to fight. He has many of the same criticisms of TMAs/RBSD that I have seen from people here. The problem is that, whilst he advises against people taking his route to achieving functional skill, he does not really offer an alternative path.

So:

Good: Offers practical advice on how to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of violence. Also good advice on legal issues surrounding violence.

Bad: Missed the "aliveness" train when it left the station.

Ugly: Yes, he is.
    I've spent a fair bit of time on his site over the years. Always thought that his risk-avoidance stuff and his thoughts on the different types and stages of violence (not all physical) one might encounter or inflict (perhaps unwittingly) upon another sounded useful and sensible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    I've spent a fair bit of time on his site over the years. Always thought that his risk-avoidance stuff and his thoughts on the different types and stages of violence (not all physical) one might encounter or inflict (perhaps unwittingly) upon another sounded useful and sensible.
    Me too. Just think a lot of his stuff on MMA is...um.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/MMA.html

Whilst I would definitely agree that anyone who thinks every streetfight is going to (or even should) play out like a cage match, is a douchebag, I don't know anyone who is more than an armchair fan who thinks that is the case.

As far as the whole "defeat shoot with neckbreaking elbow" thing, this is the whole "sport vs street" thing that Kano disproved over a century ago. If you can't practice it safely, you won't be good enough at it to be able to do it under pressure.

So yeah. Very good overall. He just seems to miss the point where MMA is concerned. As I said, he missed the "aliveness" train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 11:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "They are not combat, nor are they self-defense."

Wow. He has summed up MMA in one simple sentence.

Good for him.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/MMA.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 11:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "That is because mixed martial artists tell themselves that they are such big bad fighters because they play in such a rough sport they are functionally blind to weaknesses of their system. And unlike other systems, you can't prove them wrong without seriously injuring them."

"Self-defense is what you have to do when someone is coming in with the intent to physically hurt you!"

The quotes keep getting better.......

I think I have found something to do today afterall......
    Last edited by SaintHamish; 10/12/2010 11:56pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12