Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Keysi Fighting Method Discussion

Alright then!

I've been training in the Keysi Fighting Method (KFM) for nearly year now and I've seen a lot of feedback online that, even though it reflects concerns I had going in to it, it doesn't match up with my experience of the style overall. So I figured I would start up a thread to share my thoughts on it and I'm happy to try and answer any questions people might have.

For those not familiar with it, it's a style developed primarily for street fighting, particularly multiple attackers. Essentially trying to deal with the kind of brawl that happens when a bunch of aggressive assholes spill out of bar looking for a stranger to smash.

One of the main criticisms aimed at the KFM organisation in general is their bizarrely mysterious positioning and hilariously contrived marketing. I can't argue with anyone on that point because it's retarded. Regardless of whether or not it's effective, I struggle to even figure out the demographic they're going for. But I found the actual instruction to be refreshingly pragmatic and realistic overall by comparison.

The methodology used to teach it is pretty unusual. The program is broken up into 7 grades, with the first three introducing basic techniques, which are then developed upon in the next three grades, as well as introducing more advanced tools. The final grade focuses on scenario work, applying the techniques and principles in dozens of different situations.This covers about 4 years of regular training, with room to develop after that. A typical class will open with shadowing stuff that that you've already been working on as a warm up, and then introducing a new technique or two, which will typically be developed through shadowing, with one and two partners all the while incorporating it in combination with previous work.

Although individual classes are quite technique based, it does become apparent over time that the style is very much based on certain essential principles, with the techniques and drills facilitating ability and understanding of your main goals: protect your head, stay close (important with multiple attackers), stay on (or get to) your feet as much as humanly possible, and hurt everything you can get your hands on.

With regards to the aliveness of the training, this is something that increases as you progress through the grades, but at the stage I am at, I couldn't call it fully alive. There are generally set routines to work through, but there is pressure put on when working with two partners (the main focus of training and gradings) as there is constant (padded) striking from all angles to deal with, as well as being pulled and pushed in different directions, being knocked to your ass/knees, etc.

The style doesn't particularly focus on "professional" situations (i.e. Police/Bouncer work that would prioritise restraining attackers, etc.) It is pretty much based on connect, damage what you can and GTFO as soon as possible. I've been training BJJ for the same amount of time, so if I was in a situation with one opponent that demanded some restraint, I would focus on my grappling, but I would still see useful applications of KFM. Also, weapons defense isn't really covered as part of the program, but I'm personally inclined to see most approaches in that area as BS.

Overall, it's a very aggressive and unorthodox style, but I find it quite effective. That said, my instructor is a very "No Bullshit" kind of guy with 15 years kickboxing and boxing experience and is always focused on practical application. As with any martial art, the quality of instruction is gonna decide whether you get anything out of it so, if you're interested, make sure you get a chance to talk to the instructor, watch a class if you can, and decide from there.

Sorry for being long winded, but if anybody has any thoughts/questions, go nuts!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I knew the threads were there, I asked in the Newbie forum, and they suggested I open a new thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:49pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    owned my friend
    do you really think what i the guy doing at :14 would work?
    YouTube- Keysi Fighting Method Self Defense

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:49pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and the website owner told you what?

Hence why I showed you the multiple threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Thread necro is perfectly fine, encouraged even; especially if it's about the exact subject as the existing thread.
    owned my friend
    Yes, you wish.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Yes, you wish.
    Hey fool that was a complement to you not an insult, maybe if you weren't so defensive all the time you'd see that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:58pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    Hey fool that was a complement to you not an insult, maybe if you weren't so defensive all the time you'd see that.
    If you weren't such a terrible troll I could take your posts correctly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    If you weren't such a terrible troll I could take your posts correctly.
    excuses excuses

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 4:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    excuses excuses
    Yes, I know:
    ^^^That is exactly what I noticed about this post.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 4:04pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did they one guy punch that other guy IN THE SHOE? I am so confused... Is this the same thing that has the breakdancing epileptic ground fighting?
Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast