Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 6:42pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Me, my missus and Pilates

Tonight I am going to Pilates with my fiancee. She seems to have this idea that I am not keen but truthfully, I am and for a number of reasons:

1) I haven't done it before, nor have I done any research and therefore don't really know what to expect other than it is a good form of meditation. Is it slow transitions to positions and holding them like yoga, or is it flowing forms like tai chi, or am I barking up the wrong tree on both accounts? I probably am, seeing as though I have done neither of those exercises in the first place.

2) My missus reckons when she used to do pilates (she did it for a few months last year) her orgasms with me were longer, stronger and more "whole body". I understand that this is not just a female phenomenon and am hoping to achieve "the ropes" again (if you know what I am talking about, then you will know why I want them again).

3) Since hitting the gym and neglecting Judo due to my knee, my flexibility has suffered. I understand that pilates assists with flexibility. Will I be hindered due to hitting the gym the day before? Or is that a benefit? Is there an optimum time to do pilates?

4) I also understand that with that flexibility comes strength, as in it is not just flexible, but strong at the peak of flexibility.

5) It is a good activity to do with the missus.

It may seem like I am merely making statements, but as you can see they are very broad. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this form of exercise and if you can comment with any depth on the five above points. Also, if you have any other benefits to add, please let me know.

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 8:17pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1)It's more like a series of exercises done in a certain order, although honestly it depends on how "orthodox" the instructor is. I haven't had formal instruction in years and I just do the mat exercises in the straight order Joseph Pilates originally had it. There's all kinds of wacky "modern" Pilates stuff floating around with different stuff you use (google Pilates Cadillac, it looks like a damn torture rack).

2) No idea. My gunk's the same as ever. Considering the female O is 90% psychological there's no telling what's happening there.

3) My flexibility has improved, but it's not really the main focus. Regular stretching and Pilates are better than just Pilates by itself if getting more flexible is your main focus.

4) My core strength has improved since starting it. The whole reason I got into it was because of a back injury several years ago that was likely cause by a strength imbalance (according to my physical therapist and two different doctors at the time). Doing it for several years now, I've had NO back pain since.

5) Pilates classes are a definitely one of the better things to do with your girl. Girls dig it because of the rep it got after the New York Ballet picked up on it and guys dig it because it's a different way to do core work and from my experience, the **** works.

I like it. I honestly I think it had more to do with my recovery from that injury I had than literally everything else I did. Keep in mind Joseph Pilates was a cigar smoking boxer and the German government tried to get him to teach it to the German army prior to WWII. It actually had a pretty manly rep back in the day. I do it 3 days a week on my cardio/MA training days. It's low impact and doesn't really wear you out, so hell, do it whenever. If you have a regular core workout, try it in place of it or in addition to it.
    Last edited by War Wizard; 10/10/2010 8:24pm at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 8:39pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I just remembered that this IS Bullshido, I will of course add a competing viewpoint:

Pilates is in fact complete horseshit and a complete waste of time. You should be ridiculed roundly for even considering doing it and your sexuality is in desperate need of questioning. No points for you and may the gods have mercy on your soul.

Also:

SQUATS AND MILK!
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 9:10pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Already do squats three times a week (stronglifts5x5) and am looking to ease back into judo this Wednesday, one day a week. Also, looking to do swimming as summer increases intensity. Basically I figured pilates would be a good thing for me and the missus for all of the above and also to give me a light exercise on my alternating stronglift days. I appreciate your first post, War Wizard, your second post, well, it is bullshido as you pointed out.

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 12:05am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do a pilaties yoga hybrid thing every second week or so. Kettle bells before and jits straight after.
    cleans my back up which I like. Alot of the stuff looks like the martial arts warm ups we do anyway and can be quite hard.
    Well worth doing.

Ours is mostly flow and movement rather than static.
    Lots of planks ,lunges and slow hindu pushups
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 10/11/2010 12:09am at .

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 12:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My understanding of pilaties is that it is hardly slow nor meditative. It is one seriuos core work out that will kick your butt if your new to it.

Posted On:
    10/11/2010 12:14am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a good accolade, gregaquaman, considering your success on the Fat Knackers thread. Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 7:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its alright battlefields you have an excuse. You dont need to rationalise the reasoning behind going to pilates with the missus.

I understand.

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 7:49pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers, sainthamish. I'm glad you recognised my cry for acceptance.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/18/2010 7:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaah, the things we do for love...

(Scariest Jaime Lannister voice.)

Naah, pilates = good. Most guys' training is just set up to get them bigger.
    This training makes you stronger, and will let you lose weight.

I an aerobic and yoga enthusiast, FWIW.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast