Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Of course I could also probbly find a whole heap of vids where people get ambushed and bashed with no chance to retaliate and therfore prove martial arts in general is a chocolate teapot.
    {broad brush stroke}
    Dude you would not be wrong... martial arts that are billed as "for self defense/street" ARE chocolate tea pots.

There is not much you can do when ambushed or taken by surprise by a single unarmed person except be tough and conditioned enough to take the initial onslaught of ass kicking.

Two-three hours a week of air kicking, scripted drills, nunchuk, katana, and the end of class game of slap and tickle isn't going to get you there.

Add weapons or multiple attackers and you are even more fucked.

People will not admit or accept this for some reason I am assuming it is an ego thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePaiedra
    Conversely, people with a real FMA lineage are more likely to be knowledgeable about the advantages of a big knife and are more likely to own a few very good fighting knives.
    To me medium length blade means less than about 24" of blade but more than 10".

In other words I was trying to say they work effectively with blades other than swords better than most other styles
    {/broad brush stroke}{/sleepdeprived}
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:07pm

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Nahhhhh not what you were saying before man.

You defended the concept of dead drills and the idea of trying to "win" a knife attack or gun threat. You even defended the whole bare hand vs automatic rifle bit. When people laughed at it.

That **** gets people killed.

Self defense against a knife is a battle to control the blade and survive. Period.

You are not kicking/chopping/slapping knives out of hands or neatly turning your shoulders to let a #1 thrust to the chest slide by. **** is going to be crazy, messy, cluster fucked, and over about the time it starts.

If you are drilling and working with knife defense with a magic marker, no script, and no limits on where the fight goes or stays (standing or ground) you are doing it right.

Just about anything else and you are just trying to fool yourself.

Not me mate, I think you got me mixed up with someone else. I do KM but I've pointed out shortcomings before as well as defended arguments based on my experience.
    I've always thought KM pistol defense was a bad idea, its not done very often in Europe anyway beyond the odd seminar, mainly because there aren't many guns in circulation.
    Re knives, I never defended static knife techniques anywhere. I hate static training. There is some static training in KM buts usually followed by live drill that involve you being chased around by someone with a rubber knife. If you can apply some elements of the technique then great, the point is about not getting stabbed somewhere fatal
    If I could do Kali for knife fighting I would but its nowhere near me, my real reason for doing KM is multiple opponent sparring though, not knife and certainly not firearms. If I could drill that at the MMA club I do BJJ in then I'd do that instead but that's not part of the training.
    I think we debated multiple attacker training recently but I certainly never defended choreographed training or said KM was the best or most effecrive for weapons defense.
    If anything I would have a very open mind about about what's good and bad in KM . I do BJJ and Judo in an MMA club and lots of guys have the same opinion as you do about KM without ever having trained it and that's fine.
    I look at it as filling in some of the holes from regular training plus it gives a good workout.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    To me medium length blade means less than about 24" of blade but more than 10".

Now THAT's a medium length blade.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am actually going to nap now.

P.V. it is likely I do you have you confused with someone else, there are a number of Krav practitioners and Krav trolls here and sometimes on I do confuse the two...

I am sure there are good Krav schools, just like there are good Hapkido and Karate schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the article
    "A local cafe owner identified as "Kadri A" burst into the shop wielding a large bread knife following a series of rows between the pair."

I really would be interested in finding out more about the details that lead up to this as it isn't exactly an unprovoked attack by some crazy guy. It was a deliberate assault on the guy at the register unfortunately with some innocent bystanders around as well.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I really would be interested in finding out more about the details that lead up to this as it isn't exactly an unprovoked attack by some crazy guy. It was a deliberate assault on the guy at the register unfortunately with some innocent bystanders around as well.
    I don't know about that. He didn't go right for the guy behind the register- he cut the other guy's throat first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odacon View Post
    If I'm honest I'm worried that if a situation like that unfolded in front of me I might freeze or run away instead of helping.
    It certainly makes me feel better to see I'm not the only person who thinks this.

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 4:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I don't know about that. He didn't go right for the guy behind the register- he cut the other guy's throat first.
    Yes this to me is the most horrific part of all of this by far. For what ever reason he also assaulted the other guy who of course most likely had nothing to do with the beef the two guys where having.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 4:15pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any word on if the guy who had his throat cut survived?

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 4:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Any word on if the guy who had his throat cut survived?
    Well according to the article that guy with the knife is being charged with attempted murder so I am going to assume so.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast