10/07/2010 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Chi used to fight a biker in a boxing match

YouTube - Troy Roy fight at East Bay Rats Club

I was pretty impressed by this.
    Troy Roy is 5.11 170lbs and the other guy is over 6ft and over 200 lbs.
    Ive never seen Tai Chi used like this before, I appretiate its not NHB or against a trained fighter (i think) but it was still effective.
    King without a crown

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's not hard to reduce the quality of a video before uploading.

i can't read the text, the video is in stop motion, the fat guy is obscuring most of the action anyway; how is anyone supposed to see what's going on?

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 9:52am

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How were you impressed by that? You couldn't see anything! Showing it in slide show format can really change the perception, too.

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 9:56am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Still photos in a slide format and you are impressed? Please tell me this is a joke thread. I'm already thinking of moving this to YMAS.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 9:59am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Still photos in a slide format and you are impressed? Please tell me this is a joke thread. I'm already thinking of moving this to YMAS. Next time please read the actual video Troy is Tang Shou Tao student.

Guess what their main style for striking is?

Troy was a member of the Tang Shou Tao from 2002 til 2007 and is a veteran of their annual full-contact Hsing-I tournaments.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from his Facebook (the pictures are better quality there) and there was also an article i saw where he did a narrative with the Tai Chi techniques.
    But i cant find it at the moment (i will do)

"So, I've been training pretty intensely for a few years now in the combat aspects of the Chinese martial art of Tai Chi Chuan and I've been wanting to test myself against a strong, determined opponent who would truly be trying to knock me on my butt.

Therefore, on June 11th, I went to a full-contact fightclub event held by the East Bay Rats Motorcycle club and stepped into the ring. I'm 40 years old, a little over 5 ft 10 inches tall and weigh 170 lbs. My opponent was a very tough, strong, fast brawler in his mid 20s who was over 6 ft tall and weighed over 200 lbs!

I used my Tai Chi "empty-body" skills training to either neutralize or entirely evade about 90% of my opponent's attacks while landing about 90% of my own effective strikes and combinations on him myself.

Though I ended up winning the match, the ending was a little disappointing as I tripped on the loose canvas covering the floor of the ring and my opponent hit me as I was getting back up, getting himself disqualified. But overall I was on my way to beating him anyway, so it's not too disappointing."

The reason it impressed me is because rightly or wrongly I expected Tai Chi to do poorly in this kind of scenario.
    Here is a place it could recieve more educated opinion and so thus i posted it so i could observe said opinion.
    King without a crown

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 10:37am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right but what comes out during stress? 2002-2008 he practiced and competes in Let Tai and the USKF using Xingyi. Now, in two years he wants to call what is obviously Xingyi Tai Chi?

He may be using Tai Chi aspects but, I can see crushing, Drilling, some of the xingyi 12 animal, and other aspects.

Go look up empty body skills. I always find it funny when people try to make something more than it is. Like the chunners who use BJJ to submit an opponent and say Wing Chun wins again.

This is the exact same scenario. You do notice he says empty body skill and separates it from his strikes.

So, please do find the original break down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 10:44am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I reading that correctly when it says the Tai Chi guy won by his opponent getting disqualified?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 10:51am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it says he was punched while down after he tripped when the guy crashed into him.

Posted On:
    10/08/2010 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Troy a little—posters may remember him as the guy who wrote and self-published that Count Dante book. I met him for coffee once, before this event—he was talking about going to it, and how in a previous year his gf had talked him out of it. (Mostly we talked about Lovecraft, actually—he makes his living selling collectible books on eBay.)

Troy's a pretty interesting fellow, in shape. He has a fair amount of experience: he was an army MP for a while, did tons of Hsing-I as Fake mentions, but is also utterly wrapped up in the martial version of CMC's Yang taiji these days (though he does teach Hsing-I privately to a single student). He approaches them both with all the live training and such that we recommend.

I found the stills pretty silly as well, though I doubt Troy cares very much about the bout now that it's done. A number of folks on RSF offered to fix the video for him; I don't know if there was any follow-up. I doubt he cares about anyone's opinion other than the RSFers and his own. But you know, he is a pretty easy person to get a hold of if anyone has questions about the bout.

The event in general is pretty interesting; it's just a toughman-style thing with various bouncer-shaped bikers whaling on one another. Certainly a form of pressure-testing and with some pretty, you know, casual refereeing. A lot of them look kind of like this one, but with fat dudes instead of women:

YouTube - East Bay Rats Fight July 11, 2008 GIRL FIGHT! 1
    Last edited by Rivington; 10/08/2010 1:15pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast