Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Eddie Hardon is definitely the boxing scholar.
    Indeed..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are no slouch yourself, Ozz. You should post up about your "claim to fame"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 10:50am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are several posters around here that know their boxing pretty well, including you Snake.
    'Claim to fame' ..all I did was get schooled at the Kronk .lol
    It was a great visit and I am glad for the experience. The big thing I learned was what a huge difference there is between amateur boxing in Canada VS. the USA. The sport is just so much bigger down there and even the amateurs live and breathe it in a way that some of the top Canadian amateurs do not.Its just not a big sport up here and it is hard to find gyms with really good trainers and dedicated coaches. Due to the lack of interest, most fighters from Canada who have serious potential bolt for the USA asap..or even the UK - as in the case of Lennox Lewis. THAT really bothered me , because he trained in the city of my birth for many years, fought in the Olympics as a Canadian..we paid for all his training and travelling and then he bolted for the UK and became 'Britain's Champion' instead of representing Canada and Canadians.
    I was so upset by that ..and when I had the chance to shake his hand and get an autograph when I spotted him out X-Mas shopping with his mother at a local mall - I walked away instead. That was about 3 years before he won the title.
    I respect the fact that he was born there..but he BECAME a boxer in Canada. At the same gym that produced the Johnson brothers,Fitzroy Vanderpool and Billy Irwin.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 3:06am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    There are several posters around here that know their boxing pretty well, including you Snake.
    'Claim to fame' ..all I did was get schooled at the Kronk .lol
    It was a great visit and I am glad for the experience. The big thing I learned was what a huge difference there is between amateur boxing in Canada VS. the USA. The sport is just so much bigger down there and even the amateurs live and breathe it in a way that some of the top Canadian amateurs do not.Its just not a big sport up here and it is hard to find gyms with really good trainers and dedicated coaches. Due to the lack of interest, most fighters from Canada who have serious potential bolt for the USA asap..or even the UK - as in the case of Lennox Lewis. THAT really bothered me , because he trained in the city of my birth for many years, fought in the Olympics as a Canadian..we paid for all his training and travelling and then he bolted for the UK and became 'Britain's Champion' instead of representing Canada and Canadians.
    I was so upset by that ..and when I had the chance to shake his hand and get an autograph when I spotted him out X-Mas shopping with his mother at a local mall - I walked away instead. That was about 3 years before he won the title.
    I respect the fact that he was born there..but he BECAME a boxer in Canada. At the same gym that produced the Johnson brothers,Fitzroy Vanderpool and Billy Irwin.
    The KRONK! WOW, I'm impressed.

Gentlemen, I honour you both.

Minor point on Da Kronk. Manny Steward came over to London with Thomas and Marvin to form an alliance with the St Pancras Amat Boxing Club in (roll of drums) Kentish Town, Ole London Town. This is now sited in a pre-fab right behind my old house. Good Lord. I truly wish I'd been there that day. Hagler was Great, though I loved watching Tommy for the sheer excitement he generated - and waiting for THAT punch. A quality bloke.

Thanks for your kind words. (The Kronk. Effing hell!)
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567