Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 2:07pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me become a boxing fan!

I have a bit of a problem. I like the idea of boxing a lot, it's a sport i enjoy watching when i catch it on and would love to train. However, I know absolutely nothing about boxing history, boxers and their styles, who to watch these days or what classic fights were significant.

I've had a great deal of success in the past around here asking for videos in threads so here it is:

Who is your favorite boxer, and why?

What boxers, fights, and highlight reels should i watch?

And is there another thread around that would serve as a basic 'boxing fan primer' that i totally missed with the search function.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love boxing !

I can't watch it on T.V.(internet) tho... it bores the hell out of me.

If you want to become a bigger fan I would suggest actually DOING boxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 2:37pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by danniboi07; 10/07/2010 2:47pm at .
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was kinda fortunate in as much as I was a kid when Ali was still fighting and my dad got me into boxing. As a teenager, I would go to CCV (closed circuit) broadcasts of Duran/Hagler/Leonard/Hearns with my dad. I went to a couple of Hearns' training camps and got a chance to watch him work out for his title defense with Mark Medal and James Schuler and watch Leon Spinks train for his loss to Dwight Muhammad Qwai.

I was privileged to see, in my opinion, one of the golden ages in the Lightweight and Middleweight divisions during the early/mid/late 1980s...with solid fighters fighting solid fighters, so bear this in mind with my suggestions.

I loves me some Tommy Hearns and Greg Haugen. Hagler/Hearns is just a monster fight so watch that strictly for sheer dominance of Hagler. Technique goes out the window and Hagler just swarms and overpowers Hearns. Hagler/Leonard shows a master strategist (Leonard) staying away from arguably pound-for-pound the best fighter of that time and winning through a better fight plan. Leonard was out of the game for a few years and people thought he was going to go blind from taking one punch from Hagler. His speed and brains and underrated chin won that fight with the 10 sec. mat-slap end of the round flurry.

If you can find Haugen/Pazienza 1 and 2 (not so much 3) these are tough 15 round fights between guys who legitimately hate one another. Guts and brawl and flat-out toughness against speed and technical skill. Great fights. Those guys were some fucking tough tough SOBs.

Stevie Cruz/Barry McGuigan was a harsh fight, watching Cruz, a hispanic texas native taking out the Irish McGuigan OUTDOORS in LAS VEGAS in JULY in 120+ degree heat...but my dad took me to this fight so I have a soft spot for it.

Gabby Canizales/Richie Sandavol was a brutal fight that ended Sandavol's career. We were at a CCV broadcast for this fight and the entire room went silent until they got him out of the ring. Bob Arum gave Sandavol a front office job if he promised to quit boxing after that KO.

You can't go too wrong with any of these guys:

The 1980s Middleweights with Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Iran Barkley, Robbie Simms, Doug DeWitt, michael Nunn, Michael Olajide Jr., Milt McCrory all had good fights with each other.

The 1980s Lightweights with Haugen, Jimmy Paul, Pazienze, Julio Ceaser Chavez, Edwin Rosario, Cornelius Boza Edwards, Boom Boom Mancini, Macho Camacho, Jose Luis Rameriez, Freddie Roach, Azumah Nelson, Pernell Whitaker...all produced some great fights with one another.

Posted On:

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wilfredo Benitez you can google video to see some of his fights

Posted On:

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and, if you have an hour to burn, enjoy this classic.

Evander Holyfield - Riddick Bowe 2

EDIT: Ignore that puppy

Classic_Fights - Bowe vs Holyfield 2#
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 2:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn this made me remember an article about Donnie LaLonde when he was getting ready to fight Sugar Ray for the Lt. Heavyweight title at Caeser's Palace. He always had a problem with his *right*(?) hand, he got a deep tissue massage and a "flood of emotions from being beaten by his stepfather" got released from the massage and he was able to throw it again.

need to find that article, I had forgotten all about it.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tyson fights. Just watch them.

Never have I seen such great head movement used so aggresively. plus watching guys make that OMFDZWTFOMGOMGOMG face when they get hit never gets old
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 3:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to edit, but can't. Found the article from 1988:

http://www.people.com/people/archive...100396,00.html

Then a collection of injuries stopped nagging and began to shout. Lalonde's left shoulder had a pin in it from an old hockey wound, and the muscle had so tightened around it he could hardly move his arm. He also had migraine headaches, a kink in his neck and lower-back trouble; his knees were so shot that he couldn't run more than two miles; and he had tendinitis in one elbow.
    it was his left, not his right
    Balson used his hands to dig into bound-up ligaments and scar tissue, supposedly enabling blood to flow in and the injured areas to heal. "It was incredible," Lalonde says. "I felt like I was 17 again."
    "Suddenly, I had all these emotions," says Donny. "I wanted to cry, but I was too embarrassed. I just told Ken to stop. He said, This is emotion coming through. It's been locked in the tissue and is now being released. When was the first time you felt it? Probably when you were 11 or 12 and were beaten by someone you wanted to respect you.' "
    This just always stuck in my head from reading it. It is probably utter and complete shitte, but this always fascinated me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 4:02pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read 'Unforgivable Blackness: the rise and fall of Jack Johnson / A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the roaring 20's / The Fight by Norman Mailer.

Watch the Gatti v Ward trilogy / When We Were Kings / Benn v Eubank.

Train boxing to appreciate the skill, hard work and subtleties.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast