Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 5:49pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Insightful. I'm glad you added that.

On a further note, there has been a bit of outcry about media coverage over here in Australia, in that we focus on Australian athletes and the top of the medal tally, where we invariably sit. Personally I wonder what the **** these complainers are on about, I'm an Aussie and I couldn't give a rat's arse about any other country's tally/ athletes unless we are trailing/ competing against them and even then I only care until we inevitably surpass them. I hate to be insensitive, but if you are over here and you want to see some obscure country and its athletes perform, look it up on youtube. We can't broadcast everything, ****, nobody is watching as is.

To those in the Commonwealth, does your country's media broadcast mainly your athletes and focus on your country's success, or is Australia's media (and by extension, me) selfish and you see a broad range?

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 6:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Canada seems to do a mix of Canadian athletes and whoever's actually winning.

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 6:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: American style Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate when the SKY commentators in the UK say when a pro boxer is fighting he has won a medal previously in the commonwealth games. It means shít, it is only really England, Scotland, Wales, sometimes Australia and India who actually have decent boxers. No other country's in it give a shít about boxing.

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    To those in the Commonwealth, does your country's media broadcast mainly your athletes and focus on your country's success, or is Australia's media (and by extension, me) selfish and you see a broad range?
    Not really much watched much of the Commonwealth games, but what I have seen is mainly of British athletes and some of those from the English speaking commonwealth countries - Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

To be honest outside of the UK and Australia the quality of athletes is pretty poor for most sports. The major exception being the Caribbean and West Africa for the sprint events and East Africa for the long distance running events.

Also the Commonwealth games mainly seem to be a B team set of events for the major players like Australia and the UK where people who wouldn't make the Olympics or win world championships get to have a crack at international competition.

Posted On:
    10/10/2010 6:52pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see it less like a B-team event (I'm pretty sure we send our top athletes to CG), but more as a trial and preparedness for the World Championships and Olympics. It is an internationally recognised medal, but not a universally recognised indicator of international superiority.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12