Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    3/01/2004 3:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gouging, biting, pulling hair and scratching:

All the talk about biting, scratching and whatnot on another thread reminded me about this great article that someone posted a link to some time ago. I forget who posted it. Anyway, I thought I'd make a new thread dedicated to it.

* Biting noses off, gouging eyes, etc .....

"I would advise you when You do fight Not to act like Tygers and Bears as these Virginians do Biting one anothers Lips and Noses off, and gowging one another that is, thrusting out one anothers Eyes, and kicking one another on the Cods, to the Great damage of many a Poor Woman." [EN1] Thus, Charles Woodmason, an itinerant Anglican minister born of English gentry stock, described the brutal form of combat he found in the Virginia backcountry shortly before the American Revolution. Although historians are more likely to study people thinking, governing, worshiping, or working, how men fight -- who participates, who observes, which rules are followed, what is at stake, what tactics are allowed reveals much about past cultures and societies.

http://ejmas.com/jmanly/articles/200..._gorn_0401.htm

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    3/01/2004 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how they make it sound like a developed "style", when in all actuality it was probably just two guys flailing at each other until one got on top of the other, and then proceeded to bite his face off.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    3/01/2004 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jethro Juitsu!

I just thought the stories were interesting. Like the one about the guy who got both his eyes gouged out and his lip bitten off and kept fighting. I have never seen anyone walking around with their nose bitten off .. that would be crazy. I guess they'd stick it back on there with modern surgery .. unless the guy kept it. If anything, this article makes me not want to get into a fight with anyone in the back woods of Virginia or Kentucky. You might win the fight but still lose three teeth and a nose and get your cousin pregnant.