Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 4:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Since you're patrolling around in abandoned buildings you should carry something for SD that could conceivably have been picked up at random during the scuffle (a perfect excuse) from the shitpile of stuff that I'd imagine lies around there. How about carrying around a shitty old mop handle or a dusty pipe?
    I do have a Pvc pipe that I have stashed in a fire cupboard. but I just need the torch anyway to prevent walking into snakes and spiders. And I now have a couple of super bright ones.
    I should mention again that I am safer if I can spot a problem from a distance and deal with it intelligently (call backup/cops) rather than be walking around a corner and suddenly see a bad guy.

The torch does this really well.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:25am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iniquity View Post
    I don't know if they've changed the 4D Maglite construction or not, but I had one maybe 15 years ago and it destroyed both the bulb in the head and the spare in the bottom with a single hit. "Shock Resistant" doesn't mean baseball bat.
    Three words: LED Conversion Kit.
    Well, two words and an acronym. Whatever.
    They should be better in an impact than traditional bulbs.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Three words: LED Conversion Kit.
    Well, two words and an acronym. Whatever.
    They should be better in an impact than traditional bulbs.
    I dropped my LED 4D Maglight and blew the globe

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 7:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does anybody know anything about Lumiens? I read these on the side of the packets all the time to explain how bright the torch is I was just wondering are they acurate or is it a mesurment that can be fiddled with. Also is 100lumens twice aqs bright as 50 lumens.
    And
    I read this as an advantage for LED lights. I just dont think it has any practical merit.
    LED Light is Faster.

In a conventional flashlight, the illuminant is a glass bulb with an electrically heated filament. Since the filament has to be heated first, approximately 0.2 seconds elapse before the lamp actually emits light. LEDs are faster. They only need the 70th part of a second to light up. So, the difference amounts to about 0.2 seconds. That doesn't seem much.

However - while the light bulb is still warming up, the light of the LED has already covered a distance that amounts to one orbit around the Earth! This may not be important for a holiday-maker on a camping ground, but it provides professionals like police officers or action forces with a potentially decisive advantage.

Posted On:
    11/10/2010 2:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Picked up a new tac light for bouncing. I have been using a pretty crap one and saw this in the shops and had to buy it. The fact it had a strobe function pretty much sold it to me when I thought how much fun I could have blinding drunk people.

LED lenser again,but that is the only high end lights that are sold up here and you know what? It is really good.

Compaired to most surefires of the same type it shoots out more light, has longer lasting batteries which are AAAs,a focusable beam and a glass breaker on the back.

It comes with all sorts of weird play functions including the self defence strobe a dimmer mode and for some reason it can be made to blink SOS.

Had it for 2 weeks now and couldnt be happier with it.

And it is really fun to blind drunk people with.

Last edited by gregaquaman; 11/10/2010 2:36pm at .

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 11:20pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flashtime! Favorite Flashlights Thread:

It just sort of donned on me that I haven't (at least to my memory) seen a good thread for flashlights. With Camp Skeletor 2011 coming up I'm sure more than a few people are looking into good flashlights, and even more than a few surely must have been into high quality lighting products to begin with. So what lights are your favorite and what are their intended uses? Weapon lights? EDC lights?

To get things rolling, I've carried a Streamlight Stylus Pro in Black for the last year or so. Before that I only carried a light on my keys, a mini maglite keychain, and I have been extremely happy since the switch. With the Streamlight Stylus Pro running only 20 bucks with some pretty decent output, there's really no reason for anybody not to have at least one light on them at all times IMO.

As for weapon lights, I'm very fond of the Streamlight products in this category as well. I really like the TLR-1, which ran on my Glock 23 for quite a while before I sold both to get money for a SIG. I also bought a TLR-3, which I liked the size and weight of much more, but the TLR-1 had a wider throw that I tended to lean toward more.

And finally, after selling my old weapon lights, I picked up a Fenix LD20 instead. Being the stupid person who trades things way too often that I am, I have to admit that the LD20 has impressed me more than any light on the market. Throws out a whopping 205 OTF lumens on highest setting and has an extremely easy to access strobe mode, plus different light settings that include an automated S.O.S. beacon. I intend to have another of this light very soon. Only runs about 60 dollars and puts to shame every light of it's type (2x AA LED) that I know of.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pffft. Now I feel silly. Thanks for the merge, mods. How did I miss this?

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greg, Lumens are a measurement of wavelengths of light and are meant to measure the effect of those wavelengths on a human eye. Things like watts reflect the overall power emitted which is a bit different. The standard form of measurement for lumens is the ANSI measurement which are generally the most accurate measurement, but other forms of measurement can be very accurate as well. OTF lumens are out the front lumens when talking about lights and I believe they only refer to the max lumens in the throw. Basically, they're sort of like measuring feet or inches but with light, so 100 lumens is twice the amount as 50. I'm not totally sure how much difference you can percieve, though.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 2:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool thanks.

By the way. I have dropped thown and basicly mishandled those LED lenzers and they are still going.

Tough little buggers.

Oh and strobe for self defence. Really hit and miss.

Posted On:
    1/17/2011 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LED Lensers are some of the best lights in the industry hands down. I just wish they had some of the features I look for in an EDC light (i.e. Pocket clips, thinner bodies [I like penlights]). I actually just placed an order for a 4Sevens Preon 2 which is a penlight that dishes out a whopping 160 Lumens in it's high setting running on only 2 AAA batteries. Next I might just have to pick up one of those MT7s though. I didn't even know they made that model. Had to look into it. The lock/unlock feature is awesome and it's got some insane looking brightness. The model I was looking at before was a P7.

By the way, are you sure that's a glass breaker? From my understanding, those features are there to allow you to stand the light up from it's button side without it falling while still allowing you to have a click button.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast