233597 Bullies, 3712 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 46
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Cassius is offline
    Cassius's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,004

    Posted On:
    10/04/2010 7:03pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overseas, 80% or more of my work is at night, so I rarely am without a headlamp. Though I actually wear it around my neck. Much more convenient, and less prone to blinding people.

    The current one I have:

    http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/head...ies/tikka-plus

    I've had other models, but this is the one that has lasted the longest without being stolen or misplaced. Probably due to the fact that it's not particularly tacticool.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  2. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,590

    Posted On:
    10/05/2010 7:30am

    Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Well...if you can't carry a knife or a gun, how about a stick with nails in it, a hatchet, or a tomahawk? Those would likely suffice if you can't put a sword in your hands.
    You have to think sideways with self defence in Aus. The rule of thumb is that if you carry something with the intention of hurting somebody with it it is an illegal wepon. You can carry knives etc but you need to have a reason to do so.
    Torches are good because they can sit in cars(in case of breakdowns) or pulled out if you hear a noise in the dark. Security guards for example never carry maglights because you can hit somone with them. They are carried because they are durable, will fit on a belt and produce a lot of light.
  3. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134

    Posted On:
    10/05/2010 10:18am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Security guards for example never carry maglights because you can hit somone with them. They are carried because they are durable, will fit on a belt and produce a lot of light.
    You're not making sense.

    First you say maglites never carried, but then say they are carried because they are durable ?

    A torch isn't a weapon PERIOD.. it's a torch, that's what it was made and intended for. What the person does with it makes it a weapon (or not) don't confuse the two issues.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  4. money is offline
    money's Avatar

    Flyweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,580

    Posted On:
    10/05/2010 1:48pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Rocas View Post
    You're not making sense.

    First you say maglites never carried, but then say they are carried because they are durable ?

    A torch isn't a weapon PERIOD.. it's a torch, that's what it was made and intended for. What the person does with it makes it a weapon (or not) don't confuse the two issues.
    It's plausible deniability. He's saying he can't carry the maglite with the primary intention of using it as a weapon, just like he couldn't be carrying around a baseball bat on patrol. However, if he happened to hit somebody with it to defend himself then that's okay.

    As for myself, I keep a Surefire 6p in my messenger bag. I also have a Streamlight TLR-1 that I put on my 9mm or my AR15 as needed.



    Last edited by money; 10/05/2010 1:56pm at .
  5. Wounded Ronin is offline
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar

    ...is THE PENETRATOR

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,818

    Posted On:
    10/05/2010 2:28pm

    supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carry 2 flashlights if you remotely think you might have to use one as a club.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg
  6. wetware is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,132

    Posted On:
    10/05/2010 11:07pm


     Style: BJJ/MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone have any experience with those strobing high lumen lights? I would imagine that they are extremely effective hippie mace but have no evidence.
  7. gregaquaman is online now
    gregaquaman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,590

    Posted On:
    10/06/2010 7:17am

    Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Carry 2 flashlights if you remotely think you might have to use one as a club.
    I am +1 on that. I was going to mention it when the idea of the asp baton/taclight idea was floated.

    I am just not a fan for a whole heap of reasons.

    one of which is you cannot see the guy you are trying to hit when you take your torchlight off him and have a chance of blinding yourself.

    I go through a couple of buildings that tend to scare the **** out of me and will usually go through with big torch and little torch.

    I am not alowed to carry a bat though.
  8. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134

    Posted On:
    10/06/2010 3:37pm

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    It's plausible deniability. He's saying he can't carry the maglite with the primary intention of using it as a weapon
    Yeah I understand but my statement still stands.

    A torch isn't a weapon by any definition therefore if you're carrying a torch justifiably - because it's dark or, because you may work within a low level light environment, later using the torch as a means of self defence because it was in your hands or, about your persons isn't an issue.

    Regardless of intent, (unless you are stupid enough to advertise the fact) carrying a torch with the intent of possibly having to use it as a means other than illumination would be a very difficult thing to prove in a court of law.

    Say I was carrying a men's fitness magazine from the mess hall and got jumped on my way back to work, am I not allowed to defend myself using reasonable force to do so ? Therefore using the rolled up magazine (because that's how I'm carrying it) and smashing it in the face of the perp as part of my "reasonable force" defence is quite justifiable.

    When I'm asked why I was carrying said magazine, I have a perfectly acceptable defence.

    Carrying a large, well built and somewhat reliable torch on duty at night etc is likewise just as a "reasonable" defence. There doesn't need to be any deniability.

    Why were you carrying that torch ?

    Because I work in the dark and needed to see what I was doing

    Why did you crack the skull of the person who assaulted you using the torch ?

    Because it was in my hand at the time and I had no other course of action available to me as I feared for my life. I only hit the perp enough to stop the attack.



    Dave
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 10/06/2010 3:41pm at .
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  9. 3moose1 is offline
    3moose1's Avatar

    United States Marine.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    9,527

    Posted On:
    10/06/2010 10:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move out of Australia.


    Get a "tactical" pen.

    Just carry a bigger goddamned flashlight. I've got a stinger, with a $30 dollar LED bulb upgrade and rechargable batteries. Thing is as solid as my cock, and bright as ****. Why do I carry such a big ass flashlight? Because it is bright, reliable and comes with a warranty.

    ...and its heavy and solid enough I can beat the **** out of people with it.

    But seriously, killer, its not like you light up someone with the beam, the you take it off them to hit them, and all of a sudden they're wearing harry potter's fucking invisibility cloak. You'll be goddamn fine.

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
  10. 3moose1 is offline
    3moose1's Avatar

    United States Marine.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Clemente
    Posts
    9,527

    Posted On:
    10/06/2010 10:24pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, move out of australia. Seriously. It has been scientifically proven to house 500% of the world's most deadly animals, and you can't even carry **** to defend yourself.

    PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58


    Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.