Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 12:21pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Handgunners: Preferred Aiming Method?

I've heard many different approachs on the subject. "Don't let the sights spoil you, shoot quick and focus on the target", "focus on the target as you draw and catch the front sight as it comes into view then switch focus to it as you prepare to fire", "let the target blur completely and focus on the front sight only while aiming for a small area such as a button on the shirt of the target", etc... I'm just curious as to how the rest of you train. I've always been partial to the second method here.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 1:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm at a loss as to how you can focus on the front sight while you are aiming at a button.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 1:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You missed the blatantly obvious choice #4 - laser sighting. Yuk yuk (imho, laser sights are good as a training aid for the trainer, e.g. the person *not* shooting).

Seriously, though, the front sight method you state is how I've always trained, varying focus from front sight to target - I usually switch back to the front sight as I fire. I'm not sure if this is a bad habit I've developed, as I don't recall being taught to do this.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 2:29pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I'm at a loss as to how you can focus on the front sight while you are aiming at a button.
    It's the aim small miss small mentality. With practice it works pretty well from what I understand. Not how I train, but its the idea that if you aim for a large target and miss, you just plain miss, but if you aim for something small and miss by a bit you have a greater chance of hitting the threat. Something about the size of a button. Can be an imaginary button even. I may be slightly off on this idea or mixing two ideas, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:05pm

Style: BJJ, MT, MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally prefer "intuitive" shooting. In the academy they pushed us to get a round off as fast as possible and we heard "stop looking for that damn sight" a LOT. In a SD situation you need to hit the target as fast as possible. Again we're talking center mass targets at 7-10 yards with a hit from holster. Anything farther than that and you'll need at least soft sights on it, but anything farther I'll be switching to the M4gery anyways.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My brother has instilled in me that Point shooting is where it is at.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I fired a rented GLOCK 19 I used the front site method with great effect, but doing so on my 1911 (with tiny A1-style sights and a flat mainspring housing) was far from fruitful. My next trip to the range, I'm going to point shoot for at least 50 rounds (at no more than 10 yards) and see how it turns out. With an arched mainspring housing in my Rock Island GI, I "point" so naturally that I can't wait to see the results on paper.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not big on the whole point shooting / intuitive shooting thing - I believe that spending the extra fraction of a second to place your shot effectively is the only way to train.

@toyamabarnard - which academy is this? And, are you making a distinction between a self defense scenario and a law enforcement scenario? I don't understand in what situation you wouldn't want to hit the target as effectively as possible *and* as fast as possible.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @dk, they teach something similar here:
    http://www.koaservicesinc.com/personnel.htm
    edit: The point shooting comes in the 3rd class
    "Defensive Handgun III "The Interior Work"

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 3:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    I'm not big on the whole point shooting / intuitive shooting thing - I believe that spending the extra fraction of a second to place your shot effectively is the only way to train.
    Frankly I do not have the expertise enough to actually debate this. What I do know is that it seems that at a close range and under a certain amount of stress I can see how relying on muscle memory as advocated by John D. Luthy makes a certain amount of sense.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast