Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last

Style
    Goju Ryu, TKD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with and De-escalating Conflict when Switched On

New article on "Dealing with and De-escalating Conflict when Switched On". After the large amount of comment my last article received, I finally had the courage to dip my toe in again!

I have written before about violent conflict and the story of a crime, a true crime, and its martial consequences. In that instance the consequences for those who attempted to mug a kung fu expert acquaintance of mine. That’s the result of attacking the trained man; however, for most of us without the training the outcome will be quite different.

That is what happens in this story. It is true and relayed as it was told to me by those involved.

Brian is not a violent man, far from it. He’s a gentleman, a thinker and an intellectual. He’s the sort of guy who has a ready wit, a sharp mind and is very articulate. While Brian is not a small guy, and has the shaved head look and wide shoulders of someone who could “handle themselves”, I believe Brian would always try and talk his way out of violence, as he is not naturally aggressive.

Ask yourself this: what does that mean, “Talk his way out of violence”? In this unfortunately hyper-violent world saying that someone would rather “talk his way out of it” than fight could be taken as an insult, but it really isn’t and shouldn’t be scoffed at. For example the military do this all the time. They are not only trained in fighting and combat, they are also heavily trained in what is better called “de-escalation”. De-escalation is the useful ability to reduce the conflict pressure in a situation and stop the violence before it starts. To “talk your way out of it”… It’s a skill that saves lives every day and is the way of life to soldiers who deal with angry people all the time while deployed in Peacekeeping. De-escalating calls for a cool head, the ability to under-react to aggression and the sort of understanding that comes only from comprehending the other man’s point of view. But, the military are as specially trained in that as they are in violence and when the untrained public think they can “talk their way out of it”, sometimes they will be right…

…sometimes they will be wrong.

Continues here: http://www.outsidecontext.com/2015/0...n-switched-on/

Regards,

Basho

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Basho View Post
    New article on "Dealing with and De-escalating Conflict when Switched On". After the large amount of comment my last article received, I finally had the courage to dip my toe in again!

Regards,

Basho
    Do you want to discuss your article here ?

Being able to "deescalate" was not an issue in the situation at hand.

Soldiers are armed and have backup (their squad/patrol mates) and rules of engagment. Apples and oranges...

In any case, your "kung fu expert" needs more training in personal awareness and readiness.In fact, his expertise in "kung fu", was useless because of his lack of awareness of his surroundings and for want of a better term, "selective paranoia". He was walking around in "white" mode, sound to me like.

Oh, and he should get plastic glasses lenses.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way deescalating is like fighting. What works for you may not work for me. Case in point a mate of mine who was 6 foot something deescalated people by telling them to " **** off" worked better than my attempts quite often and I considered myself pretty good at that kind of thing.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Basho View Post

Regards,

Basho
    Hmmmm..... so this guy pushes my pregnant wife and then swears at her? And then..... waits for us as we are getting off train?
    Well here is the problem with this scenario. This guy is clearly a bad person. To be rough with a pregnant woman is low. You should now know what he is.
    You don't talk to these type of people. Period. No scolding, or informing them of their mistakes. They know what they are and they think they know what you are too. They think they smell bitch.
    I don't participate in any kind of even exchange or social display of dominance with those types, such as pushing or name calling. Lions don't roar at zebra, they just eat them.
    Soldiers didnt "de-escalate" at Osama Bin Laden's compound. They knew what he was and dealt with him accordingly. Some times it's time to talk and sometimes it's time to **** **** up. If you can't win then it's time to avoid conflict, as in don't go near the person. You Find another route.
    Last edited by Raycetpfl; 9/25/2015 3:30pm at .

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This article http://www.outsidecontext.com/2010/0...e-harsh-judge/ referenced at the beginning seems like bullshit:
    Raymond was walking through his local town of Brixton, London. As he walked down a quiet street near the park, three large men approached him from the front. Raymond didn’t totally ignore them and walk straight into the situation, but he was not instantly aware of the danger either. They closed on him and formed a semicircle that blocked the street ahead. Raymond looked up to see the man in the middle pull out what he later described as, “the biggest knife I have ever seen”. The knife came up threateningly and moved towards his midriff. It looked as though these guys were going to mug another helpless victim and escape into the park. However, this time they had made a huge mistake because Raymond is a professional martial arts instructor.

“As soon as I saw the knife, I just started moving. It was instinctive,” he told me. “It was like a sudden shock and my body took over, it was so fast.”

Indeed the entire episode was over seconds later. Raymond turned his body so the knife passed by his stomach. He then covered over the knife arm with his hands and slammed his hip against the man’s elbow. The move was textbook perfect and the knife man’s arm was dislocated instantly. The second man moved in to strike Raymond. Without letting go of the first man’s arm, Raymond kicked out with the classic downward sidekick to the knee. This missed its intended target and his heavy shoes crashed into the second man’s shins, breaking through his leg with a sound Raymond described as, “a sickening crunch”. As the second man fell down, Raymond pulled the first man’s arm around and disarmed the knife by pushing it towards the man’s face making him let go of the blade that passed into Raymond’s hand. Another textbook technique, except as Raymond was describing this to me I saw a look on his face; a look of self-reproach.

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Hmmmm..... so this guy pushes my pregnant wife and then swears at her? And then..... waits for us as we are getting off train?
    Well here is the problem with this scenario. This guy is clearly a bad person. To be rough with a pregnant woman is low. You should now know what he is.
    You don't talk to these type of people. Period. No scolding, or informing them of their mistakes. They know what they are and they think they know what you are too. They think they smell bitch.
    I don't participate in any kind of even exchange or social display of dominance with those types, such as pushing or name calling. Lions don't roar at zebra, they just eat them.
    Soldiers didnt "de-escalate" at Osama Bin Laden's compound. They knew what he was and dealt with him accordingly. Some times it's time to talk and sometimes it's time to **** **** up. If you can't win then it's time to avoid conflict, as in don't go near the person. You Find another route.
    Absolutely... great post... and the guy who got his face cut is already a big scary looking dude... so the ruffian should have been trembling in his boots already, right ?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    This article http://www.outsidecontext.com/2010/0...e-harsh-judge/ referenced at the beginning seems like bullshit:
    I didn't bother to read anymore of the guys website other than to scan the topics... airsoft fascination and military simulations were enough of a hint for me...

And yes, that read like the equivalent of a MA Penthouse Letters entry...

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Yep, sounds like the intro to just about any article in Black Belt or Inside Kung Fu in the 80's.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Absolutely... great post... and the guy who got his face cut is already a big scary looking dude... so the ruffian should have been trembling in his boots already, right ?
    Since the aggressor just assulted and insulted his wife and unborn child it was pretty clear he was not a man of action.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Do you want to discuss your article here ?

Being able to "deescalate" was not an issue in the situation at hand.

Soldiers are armed and have backup (their squad/patrol mates) and rules of engagment. Apples and oranges...

In any case, your "kung fu expert" needs more training in personal awareness and readiness.In fact, his expertise in "kung fu", was useless because of his lack of awareness of his surroundings and for want of a better term, "selective paranoia". He was walking around in "white" mode, sound to me like.

Oh, and he should get plastic glasses lenses.
    Are you getting the two articles confused?

The first one was about a kung fu guy without glasses defeating a knife wielding attacker and his pals.

The second one has a guy with no training getting his eye cut and glasses smashed after his hormonal wife started **** with some hooligans. You said it, de-escalation was futile.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 9/25/2015 10:10pm at .

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... Last