Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 6:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

muy thai training@ mma gym vs muy thai gym

Muy thai is the style that I haven't really messed with. I've boxed in two different boxing gyms, also had a two hour lesson in thai land. In all 3 cases the coaches would stand there and watch you hit the bags or have hit the mitts, and get on your case on every little detail of technique until you had it down.
    I've trained in a two mma gyms and the muy thai is always done as one big group and it seems the trainees get away with improper techinque, because one guy is watching 30 plus people at once.

So my question is are all mma gyms teaching muy thai in this manner? Did it work well for you? Or should I look for a pure muy thai gym? Or pay for private lessons.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are tendencies with certain types of places, but none are a hard and fast rule. MMA gyms often have a much more casual approach to teaching muaythai, not really getting into the nitty gritty details of the technique of the sport. Often the instructors aren't all that experienced at muaythai themselves and certainly not the fine craft of coaching muaythai fighters. But then again, you have Lumpinee stadium champions who've wound up teaching out of MMA gyms because they're simply much more popular than straight muaythai schools. I think things are a bit different in other countries, but in the US, muaythai is typically just seen as a supplemental training for MMA.

It is a pretty solid bet that if a school is muaythai focused school, the coach is going to care more about the sport of muaythai and being strict about solid fundamentals.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 12:50pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a person who teaches Muay Thai at a MMA gym let me tell you this: You'll get that training at either. There are holes in both ways of training and scenerios. I won't go into detail. Every once in awhile I am asked to teach somebody in pure Muay Thai. Very few times do I get people who like it. Muay thai is similar to boxing. The moves are simple yet complicated. It takes a lot of repetition in order to get the body moving correctly.

Private lessons won't do you any good until you pass a certain juncture in your training. As soon as you're done with the physical and cardio conditioning and you've got the moves down then you can move on to privates.

Let me put it to you this way my typical first lesson lasts about an hour and it's just learning to throw your hip into your kick. So think about doing the same thing over and over for an entire hour. You'd be lucky to start sparring within the first month after training 4 days per week.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 10:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Let me put it to you this way my typical first lesson lasts about an hour and it's just learning to throw your hip into your kick. So think about doing the same thing over and over for an entire hour. You'd be lucky to start sparring within the first month after training 4 days per week.
    I have a martial boner now.