Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 6:41pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We only have 1 "that guy" where I train. I actually like everyone else, which says a lot since I'm generally an antisocial prick.

This guy has trained off an on (mostly off) for a couple years with us. One of his favorite things to do is to say "let's go 40 or 50%", then proceed to go balls out like his life depends on the outcome of the roll. He also loves to give color commentary on his own performance after a roll. If you tap him, you were lucky. If you don't tap him, it's because he was defending well and he's getting much better.

That's annoying, but I really don't give two shits about that. If he wants to think he's awesome, that's fine. What has really been pissing me off is that he tries to cherry pick all his rolling partners to be as inexperienced as possible. I've actually interceded and rolled with the newer guys myself and warned them to stay away from him. He did crank a newb a couple weeks ago, but I didn't witness that one.

The worst by far with this guy happened last month. We were training the situation where you're turtled after a failed shot with your partner sprawled on top of you. Bottom person wraps over their partner's arm and sits out to dump them over. Me and the only woman in our school are partnered up and he joins us since he's odd man out. Me and her do the move and it's his turn. He sits out as hard as he can and lands on her hard enough to fracture her collarbone and dislocate a ton of stuff in her torso. She listed all the injuries, but I didn't understand all her fancy medical terms. Bottom line, this jackass really messed her up bad not during sparring nor even drilling, but just practicing technique.

His later apology to her was "sorry you fell wrong."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 7:02pm

Style: Isshin-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    We only have 1 "that guy" where I train. I actually like everyone else, which says a lot since I'm generally an antisocial prick.

This guy has trained off an on (mostly off) for a couple years with us. One of his favorite things to do is to say "let's go 40 or 50%", then proceed to go balls out like his life depends on the outcome of the roll. He also loves to give color commentary on his own performance after a roll. If you tap him, you were lucky. If you don't tap him, it's because he was defending well and he's getting much better.

That's annoying, but I really don't give two shits about that. If he wants to think he's awesome, that's fine. What has really been pissing me off is that he tries to cherry pick all his rolling partners to be as inexperienced as possible. I've actually interceded and rolled with the newer guys myself and warned them to stay away from him. He did crank a newb a couple weeks ago, but I didn't witness that one.

The worst by far with this guy happened last month. We were training the situation where you're turtled after a failed shot with your partner sprawled on top of you. Bottom person wraps over their partner's arm and sits out to dump them over. Me and the only woman in our school are partnered up and he joins us since he's odd man out. Me and her do the move and it's his turn. He sits out as hard as he can and lands on her hard enough to fracture her collarbone and dislocate a ton of stuff in her torso. She listed all the injuries, but I didn't understand all her fancy medical terms. Bottom line, this jackass really messed her up bad not during sparring nor even drilling, but just practicing technique.

End him.

:suicide:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 7:29pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this kind of reminds me of bm dueling in rpg games. It doesn't matter if your loosing as long as you can make your opponent feel that he is loosing. ofc.. your fucked if you start behaving like this in real life :D

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That's actually actionable. She doesn't have to sue the school if she doesn't go with the insurance company. You would be the star fucking witness.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:42pm

Style: muay thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Seriously? This guy deserves a 5 minute round of nothing but knee rides. This should be followed by a bull in the middle session. This class should only have high ranking members. He stays in the middle till he pukes. Then he goes back in.

if you have some type of striking class he should be beaten mercilessly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:44pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's pissed as hell obviously, but I don't know if she'd want to go that far.

I haven't seen "that guy" in a while, but I don't know if it's part of his usual cycle of not training or if he's gone for good. I'm hoping for the latter, but as I always say "Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which piles up faster."

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hurt him then tell him if he ever crosses the line and unnecesarily injuries a woman for his own gratification again he will be going home with his limbs in a sling.

Its that simple, that kind of bully behaviour against women can only be corrected through force and punishiment. There's no point in trying to 'talk it out' or whatever, you kick their arse as brutally and as excessively as you can and then you drag their manhandled body into a corner and give them a completely un-ambiguous dressing down. If they leave and never come back then great you've protected the welfare of your students and eliminated a problem. If they reform and sort their life out even better and you must then support and encourage them. If they continue being a dickhead then make sure the instructor is aware or if you are the instructor just ensure that the dickhead keeps having his practices picked for him and that he keeps getting matched with the hardest practices and isn't allowed anywhere near the beginners or women and that the hard practices know that their job is to put the idiot through the mill.

We practice combat sports and sometimes you have to emphasise the harsher aspects of combat over the more gentiel. I have personally stepped in to randori to deal with students who I thought weren't treating female practice partners properly and then. afterwards, given them a talking to on how much of a fuckwit they were being, it solved the problem.

As an instructor the safety and wellbeing of your students is a primary concern and it is a reality that women due to their inherent physical inferiority to men are more susceptible to being abused or bullied in this manner. As such instructors should have an absolute zero tolerance of abuse/mistreatment of women in their classes and take very seriously steps to remedy and erradicate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 8:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is the instructor aware of this ****? As Crappler has said, he is potentially exposing himself to legal action by not reining him in.

This goes way beyond normal levels of "that-guy-ism". This prick is a danger to everyone around him. Fair enough if some **** happens in randori, that's life. If you are uke in a drill, however, you are putting yourself in a compromised position to enable someone to learn a technique. This requires a level of trust he clearly does not deserve.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what your problem is, guyz?

Someone like that trains with me, he is either going to have a little accident,
    or I am going to call him out in the open.

It's your trainer's fault if mutual respect is not enforced, and you should comment to him on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 11:28pm

Style: Watching from the stands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use the same line next time you're practicing rolling into an arm bar and his elbow pops out of joint.
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast