Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 5:35pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Jason Chambers is not "that guy", but Bill Duff might be the ticket:

Besides, at least Jason Chambers is dreamy.
    Incorrect. Bill Duff's ignorance is a pass for his lack of skills. He also doesn't run his mouth as much.

Every single one of the "technique demonstrations" with Chambers' lovely narration as a bonus, in my mind, makes him incredibly well-qualified to be "That Guy".

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Every single one of the "technique demonstrations" with Chambers' lovely narration as a bonus, in my mind, makes him incredibly well-qualified to be "That Guy".
    I give him a break on that because
    1. he's hosting a TV show with extensive CG technique breakdowns that aim to overanalyze every technique.

2. He's 18-5-2 in MMA and a brown belt under Eddie Bravo (and a JKDC instructor), so it's not like he's some noob acting like he knows what he's talking about.

3. When he talks crap about Bill's performances, it seems like the producers wanted that buddy angle so he tries to give him a good-natured ribbing for the show, but they're not really old friends so it seems forced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 5:47pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your logical arguments cannot pierce my blind rage.

Chambers is really 18-2? Wow. I thought it was more like 4-1 or something. Regardless, I still hate him.

So. Onto my #2 choice.

Jason Stork.

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 5:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    18-5, with most wins by submission.

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope that guy is right here
    YouTube - Clueless football player beats Ninja at his own game
    One Bruce Applebee(sp?) I mean can we find any more of a that guy then him?

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 6:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit, I can't find any pictures of Creole with his dumb hat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 7:06pm

Style: Watching from the stands

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Nope that guy is right here
    YouTube - Clueless football player beats Ninja at his own game
    One Bruce Applebee(sp?) I mean can we find any more of a that guy then him?

Did that guy really call out "Ah, you're dead!" when the football player rolled for his weapon? OMG, he just disproved his own MA!!

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 8:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappyhead View Post
    Did that guy really call out "Ah, you're dead!" when the football player rolled for his weapon? OMG, he just disproved his own MA!!
    No actually I think that was Jason Chamber yelling that out

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 8:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    someone asked for more "that guy" stories. i will deliver.

back in my senior year, i was very close to receiving my black belt, was about to hit wrestling season, and got to do BJJ on the side about once a week.

a good friend of mine was a 2nd degree black belt and a junior. he had gotten his black belt when he was 14 and his second degree when he was almost 16. he then decided that TKD was crap and took up wing chun.

now, at the time this guy was a really close friend and we spent a lot of time doing chun v. tkd sparring and wrestling drills. he also helped me catch up on my forms as well as teaching me chun forms. also, we did BJJ together.

by winter break, he decided he would join the TKD class as his regular extra curricular activity so that he could spar multiple people without getting into trouble, as well as go to competitions to do forms (he thought for sure his chun forms would win at tkd comps)

so, it comes time for his first day in class. i'm excited, he's excited, and the other students already knew and liked him. however, we had no idea that he was about to turn into the ultimate that guy.

first, he showed up in his chun uniform (pants from his chineese pajamas, a white tshirt, and his white wing chun sash)
    while we were all stretching he went into a long speech to everybody about the superiority of chun ranking. white sash for everybody learned the core system (none of these foolish color belts for his "superior" system) black sashes for those that had shown full competence with the core system, and black sash with red tips for instructors. he also said, at least 3 times, that his 2nd degree black belt meant nothing to him anymore, because all it did was instill bad habits that were holding him back in the chun.

keep in mind, this was shocking to me. he had never acted this way around me or my other TKD friends before. in fact, he was usually quite modest and kept his ranks to himself if he could help it.

he then started in on the superiority of chun sparring as it allowed for more aggression, wider choice in targets, and more realism. he was starting to rant about the benefits of chi sau when the instructor came in.
    once the instructor greeted us, my friend whispered to me "introduce me to instructor cunningham, and make sure you tell him i'm a 2nd black belt."

i looked at him funny, but agreed. i take him up to the instructor and introduce them, but i don't tell his rank. the instructor asks, "do you have any martial arts experience?" my friend says, "yes, i'm a kung fu student currently, but i'm also a 2nd black in TKD".

so, now the instructor has him line up at the front of the class, which pushes me into the second row. i'm pissed because i worked my ass off to get to the first row, and he just took my spot.

i decide i'm being childish and i should put it out of my mind. it's just a position for warm ups, and bowing out after all. it's not a rank in and of itself, who cares right? i had a hard time convincing myself of this.

after warm ups were over without incident, we went to the heavy bags for kick drills. beginners had to call one kick and perform it on the bag, intermediates had to do the same with two individual kicks, and advanced had to call and deliver a 3 kick combo move.
    i went with my sparring super move, middle round/high round/slider side kick.

my friend called out some retarded chun twist kick, low thrust kick, ax kick. upon delivery of the ax kick, the bag swung right into his leg as it started on it's way down, threw him off balance, he fell on his ass with a resounding thud, and twisted his ankle a bit.

nobody laughed at him. not outloud at least.....
    instructor cunningham was very disappoint

then we did some punching drills with focus mits, which went off without incident. i figured my friend had learned his lesson about showing off. i was wrong.

when class was nearing the end, instructor cunningham said "if you guys hurry with your sparring gear, we have time for 2 or 3 rounds. we all rushed to get our footies, gloves and head gear on, shoved our mouth pieces in and crossed our fingers that we would get picked to spar. i went in the first round with another student. then two more people came out for the second round; so far, it was just typical in class sparring. then instructor cunningham said "we have just enough time for one more, and then bowing out". he called my friend out to the center and said that he would give him a middle ranked student to see just where he was with sparring. he picked a green belt girl who was known for being hella fast, even though she didn't have many techniques learned. she won significantly more often than she lost.

my friend got scored on twice with side kicks, got pissed, did an ax kick, and gave her the nastiest black eye i've ever seen on a girl.

after he got a stern lecture, and the "son you disappoint" look from everybody (including me) class was dismissed. as we were getting our bags and putting on our shoes, a few people approached him and said "maybe next time you should line up in the back, you know, earn your way to the front like everybody else". he didn't say anything. he looked genuinely upset by everything that had happened. he didn't say anything to me on our way back to our dorms or during free time. he avoided everybody from TKD. i figured the problem was over.

i thought wrong.

the next day, he was back in the same spot, pulling the same dumbass ****, talking the same bullshit game about chun v. tkd. trying to get people to do chi sau with him, and only using chun in sparring (he was actually somewhat successful; i stole some techniques and greatly improved my point sparring game with them) but generally, he was just pissing everybody off on a daily basis and cementing his role as "that guy". also, he continued wearing his kung fu uniform, and told instructor cunningham that changing uniforms or wearing his black belt would be disrespectful to his sifu.

oh, and he often interrupted the instructor to ask, "how would that work against this fill in the blank chun technique?"

fortunately for us, about 3 weeks after he started, he got into a fight in the dorms one night against some fat kid over the tv. the school then forbade him from taking TKD or wrestling for the rest of the academic year for breach of the no fighting contract that our school made all it's students who were enrolled in tkd sign.

even after that happened, the next day, we didn't get to have a normal TKD class, instead we got an hour long lecture about not fighting while we did calisthenics. instructor cunningham said that while my friend got into his own fight, all of us were going to do what should have been his punishment had the headmaster not banned him from TKD so that we would learn not to be like him.

even after getting expelled from TKD, he still "that guy'd" us.
    Last edited by omoplatypus; 10/05/2010 8:33pm at .
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    something all "that guys" need to see

YouTube - Star Size Comparison HD

also, my entry for the "that guy" image

Last edited by omoplatypus; 10/05/2010 8:46pm at .
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.