Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 10:37pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jake8267 View Post
    Thanks guys, especially JAFMAS there's some good info on that site. I pretty much knew the problems he's causing himself, the trick is proving it to him.
    Here's a good article summarizing a few of the studies out there. The main couple being dehydration and delayed reaction times, especially note the delayed impaired motor skills which would certainly impact training.

http://www.nutritioncheckup.com/docs...erformance.pdf

John

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 8:09am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jake8267 View Post
    I'm looking into the longer term affects of heavy binge type drinking on fighters performance. Does anyone know of any legitimate sources that I can take a look at? Obviously I'm not looking for the normal, damage to the liver etc... More of what happens when a fighter is out partying 2-3 times a week for a couple months and then lays off for 30 days prior to a fight. Is that 30 day period enough to remove all of the affects or does the alcohol still impact his performance?
    Lew Jenkins, World LW Champ pre-WW2. He was known as the "Sweetwater Swatter". He had a marked alcohol problem and was asserted to actually have a bottle of whiskey/whisky secreted in his spit bucket when he was actually fighting. He had a dynamite punch which helped him to ring success. Ultimately the drinking ruined him yet he attained redemption in the Korean War as a serving Sergeant. He eventually dried out and gave up the drink.

Yes, a Boxing World Champion undone by alcoholism.

He's also featured in a book by Peter Heller "In This Corner". I already knew of him long before the book.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12