Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 7:04pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another vote for stronglifts. The good thing is it starts out light which sounds like it would benefit some of your injuries.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after reading that entire article, i'd have to say that sounds like a solid plan.

Starting over with just a bar is going to be a major shot to the ego...but i think it'll be for the best. It'll be a major test to see how my elbows and shoulders can handle the bench and overhead pressing anyways.

I think i'll start that program tomorrow, and get rid of almost everything else for now that i was doing at home (almost), and see how it goes for a while :)

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 12:27am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, you are doing a lot at the moment, so do MMA and stronglifts and forget the rest. Six weeks in, check your progress, report back. Encounter problems, post here.

And **** your ego. Your ego at the moment is a **** and stopping you from training right. Tell your ego to meet you in six weeks, stick to the program then when your ego sees you then, slam him to the mats and punch him in his fucking face for calling you throughout the six weeks to say stupid **** like "man, 30kg squats, what are you a *****?" and "60kg deadlifts, man up, you little bitch". Because by then you'll be like, "ego, I'm lifting more than you could've dreamed and my MMA skills have gone through the roof, **** you".

Soon you'll realise your ego is just an illusion. Woah, deep.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Look, you are doing a lot at the moment, so do MMA and stronglifts and forget the rest. Six weeks in, check your progress, report back. Encounter problems, post here.

And **** your ego. Your ego at the moment is a **** and stopping you from training right. Tell your ego to meet you in six weeks, stick to the program then when your ego sees you then, slam him to the mats and punch him in his fucking face for calling you throughout the six weeks to say stupid **** like "man, 30kg squats, what are you a *****?" and "60kg deadlifts, man up, you little bitch". Because by then you'll be like, "ego, I'm lifting more than you could've dreamed and my MMA skills have gone through the roof, **** you".

Soon you'll realise your ego is just an illusion. Woah, deep.
    *holds up a lighter*

lol. I think the biggest issue is i am always looking into the past, saying "man i could do this before i got hurt, man i was this fast and could punch this hard before this or that or blah blah blah." I just need to suck it up and realize this isn't then, this is now, and i'm not 18 anymore and i can't work out like i did when i was 18, so i need to just pretend like now is the first time i've ever done anything, and not be concerned with "man this is 30 pounds less then i used to do in this".

I read the article a few times now, and i just wanted to confirm something in it.

I see that the goal is to increase 5 pounds total each workout in each thing, that's fine, but i wanted to be 100% sure this applied to bodyweight excercises (the pushups and pullups/chinups) too. I've been looking over it one more time to confirm and it doesn't seem to say that any one thing shouldn't be progressing with added weight, i just wanted to confirm since you guys seem to have done this in the past.

With that said, i guess all i have to do now is go to bed (my other issue is i don't rest enough, i used to work midnights and i still to this day can't shake this god damned sleep schedule that it gave me ugh) and wake up and get to the gym tomorrow after i renew my license (i forgot i had to do it before my b-day...and today is my b-day so i hope they don't charge me extra), get a haircut tomorrow and then hit the gym, and then eat like a mofo.

Gonna feel so weird just lifting a bar and doing some regular old pushups and what seems like simple ab work compared to what i usually do...but we'll see how it goes, and besides, each workout will have me increasing by 5 pounds so soon enough i'll have some actual weight back on that bar ^_^ Sure will be nice if i could do military press and bench press again without horrible pain, so maybe this'll fix that for good.

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blood riot iori View Post
    i'm not 18 anymore and i can't work out like i did when i was 18, so i need to just pretend like now is the first time .
    Now those are wise words. I have discovered that after turning 30 that my recovery time after exercise seems a lot longer than in use to be. But hey that is how it is. I rolled with a 60 year old guy tonight I can't imagine how hard it is on him but the other side of the coin and one I see even more as I get older is how hard it is on you when you don't exercise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Now those are wise words. I have discovered that after turning 30 that my recovery time after exercise seems a lot longer than in use to be. But hey that is how it is. I rolled with a 60 year old guy tonight I can't imagine how hard it is on him but the other side of the coin and one I see even more as I get older is how hard it is on you when you don't exercise.
    ya, it's something i've been struggling with for a while. I used to be in retardedly good shape, i was super strong, super muscular, super fast and could hit super hard, and i could workout in ways that i know people that are 18 or so now could only dream of :( But that was then this is now. Injuries and real life often cause us to not be able to do these things anymore, and i guess we just have to adapt. I also have THE WORST workout ADD of anyone i've ever met lol, but i must put that aside and remember i just have to stick with this for a while whether i like it or not ^_^

Ya there's a guy who's in his late 50's in our mma gym, everyone always picks on him but he tries his hardest no matter what, even if it's not as hard as one of us, he still tries as hard as HE can and i respect that alot.

Now off to bed before i change my mind and sit up till 4am -_- lol.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *holds up a lighter*

lol. I think the biggest issue is i am always looking into the past, saying "man i could do this before i got hurt, man i was this fast and could punch this hard before this or that or blah blah blah." I just need to suck it up and realize this isn't then, this is now, and i'm not 18 anymore and i can't work out like i did when i was 18, so i need to just pretend like now is the first time i've ever done anything, and not be concerned with "man this is 30 pounds less then i used to do in this".

I read the article a few times now, and i just wanted to confirm something in it.

I see that the goal is to increase 5 pounds total each workout in each thing, that's fine, but i wanted to be 100% sure this applied to bodyweight excercises (the pushups and pullups/chinups) too. I've been looking over it one more time to confirm and it doesn't seem to say that any one thing shouldn't be progressing with added weight, i just wanted to confirm since you guys seem to have done this in the past.

With that said, i guess all i have to do now is go to bed (my other issue is i don't rest enough, i used to work midnights and i still to this day can't shake this god damned sleep schedule that it gave me ugh) and wake up and get to the gym tomorrow after i renew my license (i forgot i had to do it before my b-day...and today is my b-day so i hope they don't charge me extra), get a haircut tomorrow and then hit the gym, and then eat like a mofo.

Gonna feel so weird just lifting a bar and doing some regular old pushups and what seems like simple ab work compared to what i usually do...but we'll see how it goes, and besides, each workout will have me increasing by 5 pounds so soon enough i'll have some actual weight back on that bar ^_^ Sure will be nice if i could do military press and bench press again without horrible pain, so maybe this'll fix that for good.
    You do not add weight to the bodyweight work in the routine. These movements are designed to build up work capacity and hypertrophy, which will benefit your strength training by allowing you continual progress without stalling.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya, it's something i've been struggling with for a while. I used to be in retardedly good shape, i was super strong, super muscular, super fast and could hit super hard, and i could workout in ways that i know people that are 18 or so now could only dream of :( But that was then this is now. Injuries and real life often cause us to not be able to do these things anymore, and i guess we just have to adapt. I also have THE WORST workout ADD of anyone i've ever met lol, but i must put that aside and remember i just have to stick with this for a while whether i like it or not ^_^

Ya there's a guy who's in his late 50's in our mma gym, everyone always picks on him but he tries his hardest no matter what, even if it's not as hard as one of us, he still tries as hard as HE can and i respect that alot.

Now off to bed before i change my mind and sit up till 4am -_- lol.

You just need to learn that a hard workout does not necessarily equal an effective workout. Programming trumps intensity in terms of progress, and usually the best way to get results is to reduce the volume rather than increase it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will tell you what I sure hope that when I am in my late 50's I still have the drive to still do some form of combat sport.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    You do not add weight to the bodyweight work in the routine. These movements are designed to build up work capacity and hypertrophy, which will benefit your strength training by allowing you continual progress without stalling.
    but what about this?

"When and how should I add weight on Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Push-ups & Inverted Rows?
    As soon as you can do 15 reps with good technique on your 1st set. Then start adding resistance
    and do 3 set of 5 reps, adding weight each workout.
    Copyright"

it then goes on to say that 2.5 pound increments on this is the way to go.

I r confused :/

Also, seems that unless i'm reading something wrong, you start with 80 pounds on deadlifts as opposed to 45. This is good, because it'd take ages to increase the deads if you started on 45 pounds, were only doing 1 set of them 1-2 times per week, and were only increasing by 5 pounds lol.

And to your other post i agree. I used to think that just because i was working hard, i was working smart, but it seems that wasn't the case. I just have to get through these first few weeks without really any weight (my 70 year old mom can lift the bar on it's own lol) but after that the weight will start coming on there so it's all good ^_^

Yup me too goodlun. My dad is nearly 70 and he's out running almost every other day, he STILL has to work too, and he does incredibly hard and taxing home repairs that people in their 40's have a hard time doing alone. I hope i'm in half as good of shape as him when i'm his age.
    Last edited by blood riot iori; 10/01/2010 11:59am at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast