Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 1:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP,

This is not you asking for opinions, this is you justifying an idea before yourself.

So, in short:

1. You DO train the way you describe it in your first post, or you PLAN to?
    2. How long do your training sessions last?
    3. What was your rank in shotokan when you quit training?
    4. Why exactly can't you join a gym, or a fitness club, where you could learn the basics?
    5. What would be so wrong about using an established training program? Isn't something being called "established", or "good by general consensus" good enough for you?

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    OP,

This is not you asking for opinions, this is you justifying an idea before yourself.
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Also seems to be one of those things keep happening to me sort of people with no idea that he was most likely part of the problem. Hopefully I am wrong maybe he had no responsibility in being asked to leave to dojo, the freak accident, the series of injuries, being mugged, ect ect ect.
    I want to be clear I am not slamming the OP just pointing out that he may need to do a little self examination.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP,

So, in short:

1. You DO train the way you describe it in your first post, or you PLAN to?
    2. How long do your training sessions last?
    3. What was your rank in shotokan when you quit training?
    4. Why exactly can't you join a gym, or a fitness club, where you could learn the basics?
    5. What would be so wrong about using an established training program? Isn't something being called "established", or "good by general consensus" good enough for you?

1. I have been as of late, but i haven't done it for very long yet, i was posting it to see others opinions on it before i delved too far into it, and the general concencus seems to be that it's too much.
    2. The gym sessions last roughly an hour and 15 mins give or take, depending on how long the 300 workout was taking me. The mma classes were give or take 2 hours, and i would workout at home for w/e period of time i felt like on any given day, sometimes a while sometimes not.
    3. High purple, about to test for low brown.
    4. I do belong to a gym, and i am more then proficient in the "basics". As i said i have a plethora of injuries that have prohibited me from working out the way i used to, so i was working with what i was able to do (i.e. can't do heavy movements anymore with things like bench press or military so i've been working pushups and kettlebell clean and presses alot for example).
    5. I have no problem with this so long as it doesn't involve something that's going to re-aggrivate any of the injuries i've obtained or anything like that. And i haven't checked the link the other guy posted yet, so unless something is on there, i haven't yet seen any "established program" yet, only people saying "your program now is bad, cut back and rethink your goals".

goodlun:

i was asked to leave my dojo because i was accused of something that i didn't do, and i had to learn the hard way that sometimes the people you look up to the most and trust (i.e. my sensei and my ex best friend) are the ones that **** you over the worst in the end.

the freak accident i'm refering to involves the t-bar at my gym. They decided one day it was a brilliant idea to instead of having it in a hole in the wall (which worked perfectly fine for years), that they should have a metal plate put in where the whole used to be, one that the bar can "slide into", well that didn't work particularly well, and when i went to row my normal weight, the bar came up and folded me in half and i got pulled down by 5 plates of weight, needless to say my lower back didn't handle that very well, nor did my knees handle it well when i had to dive sideways on the floor to catch my grandma (who we lived with up until she died taking care of her) and having her entire weight bend my legs 90 degrees to the side.

the injury to my elbow occured when i went to a very shitty (did not know it at the time) mma gym several years ago because i thought "oh hai kewl, mmaz is here i'm gonna go try it), and the first day of class one of the douchebag students decided to "help work with me" by putting me in an arm bar and continuing to hold it for a good 5 seconds after i tapped out, mind you having never done a single bit of ground work prior to that and having no explination prior either. Needless to say i didn't go back there after that but the damage was done.

and lol really? does anyone ever have "responsibility" for being mugged? A guy wanted my money, i didn't want to give it to him, he attempted to take it and i beat the **** out of him for it. There's nothing fancy or no deeper meaning to that, it's just the way it happened and if i knew why i certainly would have stopped and asked the person "hey, why iz yew robbing mah moneyz?!?!" before he tried :P

I've done more self examination then you would think, believe me, and i've overcome more problems and things holding me back then most of you combined. As i said in my first post, i'm simply gathering as much information and reasonings as i can behind what people are saying before i decide to commit to any one thing :)

Wow...typing all that made me sound very emo :emo:

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once again I am not trying to insult you it has just been in my experience that people who keep having things happen to them are not aware of some habit that they have that happens to get them into trouble.
    Usually some type of awareness that is lacking.
    They very well can all be stuff 100% out of your control but I have found in life most of the time I have control over most of the things around me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to quote two things for you:

These are two entirely different goals that you've grouped together.
    Now they are applying this to specific points but, they are grasping an important tone to your current posts.

You are doing this all through the thread. You take two concepts and erroneously try to make a forced correlation or application to justify how or what you are training.

If you want to learn you should stop doing this and listen.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 9/30/2010 2:58pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, cut out all the made up work outs the shotokan and any of the parts where you think you know better than your coach. Then just go live at the gym. Every successful fighter I've ever known has just constantly hung around the gym. You take every class you can you help in the kids class you roll in classes you aren't taking when they have an odd number of people. Then in between classes you hit the bag and do drills and ask dudes who come early to light roll with you. In short live and breath fighting and you will be a fighter. Short of that you should change your goals and accept that you aren't a fighter and aren't willing to live like one.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Once again I am not trying to insult you it has just been in my experience that people who keep having things happen to them are not aware of some habit that they have that happens to get them into trouble.
    Usually some type of awareness that is lacking.
    They very well can all be stuff 100% out of your control but I have found in life most of the time I have control over most of the things around me.
    and once again, i don't feel insulted :) I haven't viewed anything you've said as an insult and believe me, i've dealt with more then enough people who have done exactly what you've said, and i've done it myself at times in my life, i was just making a point that the specific things i was talking about here were beyond my control ^_^ I had absolutely no idea that what i got accused of was coming at me, as again it was not something i had anything to do with, but they refused to accept it, so i politely told them to **** off and left after they told me i didn't belong there because of blah blah random bullshit blah blah.

Definitely couldn't control the t-bar or the falling injury either :( Had no idea i was going to a place where their idea of "teaching" was to permanently damage someone's elbow on their first day lol. Mugging is well....mugging, can't do much about that either. It wasn't even in a place where someone could say "oh well you could see that place looked like bad news, you should have gone a different way". Again i respect what people are saying and i don't take many things as insulting unless they're outright doing so, which you are not :D

WhiteShark:

that's what i'm trying to say dude. I've already accepted that i don't have any desire to be a "fighter" in the context i go regularly fight matches and make money doing so. All i want to do is improve my skills and train in a manner i enjoy, i have no desire to get the **** kicked out of me on a regular basis, i don't think i ever gave an indicator in this entire thread that i did. I like being able to defend myself and i like being strong and fit, that's about as far as that extends. Does this make me bad? I don't think so. Does it make it the reality of what i want? Yes.

I guess i should have chosen my words more carefully then what i did, i should have said "I do shotokan and i'm working on expanding out into mma, what kind of workouts should i be doing for this while trying to maintain and expand the muscle mass i already have", rather then made "fighter" comments. I'd prefer to be a guy who can fight very good rather then a "fighter" if that makes any sense.

It Is Fake:

that's a good point, i guess i haven't seen myself doing that as much as you guys are pointing out.

I will attempt to listen better then.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, then...

- What about keeping your training schedule for a time then, and evaluate YOURSELF how you progress, instead of discussing something you have barely even tried?

- Why do you try an highly intense training if you yourself say your injuries might impede full commitment?

- MMA classes? Just to clarify, are you attending any MMA or other martial arts classes at a gym or dojo right now?

In any case, I can only echo what the others said:

Get a gym, train hard, and focus on your training THERE rather than elsewhere. Everything else will probably make you a better athlete,
    but not a better fighter.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 3:25pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, then...

- What about keeping your training schedule for a time then, and evaluate YOURSELF how you progress, instead of discussing something you have barely even tried?

- Why do you try an highly intense training if you yourself say your injuries might impede full commitment?

- MMA classes? Just to clarify, are you attending any MMA or other martial arts classes at a gym or dojo right now?

In any case, I can only echo what the others said:

Get a gym, train hard, and focus on your training THERE rather than elsewhere. Everything else will probably make you a better athlete,
    but not a better fighter.
    - i suppose i might just do that. Like others were saying, people lose a ton of weight doing this stuff, i guess i just have to come to grips with the fact if i continue this, i'm not going to be as big as i was, it just can't happen. And like i said before, i haven't done this specific type of training before, so i wasn't sure how to go about it, i was taking what i know about working out from shotokan and weight lifting, and trying to compliment it into the other. But i guess you're right, i just need to try things out for a while and figure out what works.

- well that's the thing, they aren't really impeding THIS training, what they impede is other stuff, that's why i settled in on this type of training, as it seemed to be the hardest i could do without really bothering the injuries.

- only mma i'm doing right now in a class or gym setting is at my mma gym. Anything else i was doing was on my own (i.e. shotokan and what not). Generally my mma schedule looks something like monday night, wednesday night, and saturday early afternoon, for rougly 2 hours a day/night.

I also work weird hours so that's why i work out alot at home, i just don't have the time to commit to being at the fighting gym as much as i'd like to, that's why i figured working out as much as i could there while doing w/e else i can do at home would be better then only working out there and nothing else. Hell, the best hours during the day for me to workout happen to be from like 11pm to 2am lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 6:42pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    This.

Structure, my friend. Structure.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast