Posted On:
    9/28/2010 5:49pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dragon Mixed Martial arts Edmonton

Head teachers:

Sensei Janusz Glowacki (pronounced Yanush Glo-vatski),

Polish born Canadian ,owner and head instructor of Dragon Mixed Martial Arts @ Ultimate Fighting Club in Edmonton is certainly not shy about his views on Martial Arts. Mental and physical toughness as well as realism in combat training are central themes in his program. A black belt in Kyokushin Karate, Weapon, Ju-Jitsu. Expert in Kick Boxing, East European Military hand to hand Combat, former soldier)and Weapon (nunchaku, knife, sword). Canadian champion in Full contact Karate, champion in breaking board Tournament. Sensei Yanusz is a Professional Bodyguard. He completed advance Personal Protection Course at famous Executive Protection Institute at Berryville Virginia. Has been working as a Bodyguard for Mark Messier(hockey), Carrie Doll (Edmonton CTV News), Daryl KATZ (owner of EDMONTON OILERS local Billionaire), and more. Sensei Yanush has trained members of the Canadian forces (before their mission to Afghanistan) and was contracted by a major Canadian Airline Company to developed a special self-defense system for flight attendants after Sept 11. His students have been fighting and won in KING of THE CAGE, TFC, (in Canada and USA) Muy Thai and Kick Boxing (in Thailand and Canada).

Yoosuf Penny

Yoosuf Penney is one of Sensei Janusz' original students and has been training with DragonMMA for nearly 6 years. In 2003, Yoosuf began fighting in amateur MMA until 2004 and in 2005; he won the Light Heavyweight belt at the Continental Fighting Championship, in a 5 x 5-minute title fight. After several professional MMA fights, Yoosuf was awarded his Black Belt by Sensei Janusz and began training and building a team of amateur and professional fighters. In 2006, Yoosuf took a position as Sensei Janusz' assistant coach with DragonMMA.

Presently, Yoosuf is the wrestling, grappling and submission coach for DragonMMA. His program emphasizes technique and stamina along with a mixed and blended approach to submission grappling and MMA competition.

Aliveness: Plenty of sparring after every class. Drilling is often done with some measure of resistence. Always ends with free rolling or sparring.

Equipment: Yanusz will sell gloves shin pads. Gotta buy it yourself. They have their own focus mitts, thai pads, and old stinky gloves if you didn't get your own. Yuck, get your own. They have matts too for rolling.

Space: Good commercial space. Most days, you can train and roll without running into too many people.

But if it gets packed, then it gets really annoying. NOTE: This is not a reflection of the quality of training, it's a reflection of space.

Instructors: Classes are large, but Yanusz is usually at every one if he isn't working. Yoosuf is out on an injury, but if both are there, expect to see alot of them. Forur or five assistant instructors are running around.

Attitude: You'll be treated good. Friendly. Problem is, the dial is either hard or soft. So if your new walking in, be prepared for lots of spaz. The attitude is very much like a kyokushin school with no kata and head punches.
    But everything is within reason.

Striking instruction:

Striking is very good. Yanusz is a nationally ranked kyokushin karate fighter, then quickly did kyokushin with head punches. He broke away from the other kyokushin guys because of restricted rule sets, closed minds. He's a black sheep. So he turned in kyokushin into kickboxing, then MMA. One of our students even went as far as to compete in thailand in muay thai. Did fairly well, knocking out a thai guy as well. Others have done amatuer muay thai etc. Needless to say, we have good striking.

Grappling: Decent grappling, guys did fairly well in local pancration competitions, and no gi bjj. Fairly successful in the cage. Mostly striking school though.

Weapons: Fairly difficult to define it. Yanusz has a very comprehensive kenjutsu and knife fighting background. He also fights really good with kali/arnis sticks by adapting his Kenjutsu. Also can shoot people.

However, because they no longer have their own gym, weapon classes are done by privates only.

NOTE: They are currently looking for a new facility. They did very well in MMA when they had their own gym. Right now, the records have suffered because they are renting. Currently looking for a new gym, and therefore more weapons classes will come forward and pershaps more grappling.

However, there currently is private instruction being offered, striking and grappling, weapons, Self defence as well. Both senior students and head instructor offers this.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 6:25pm at . Reason: Forgot ranking.

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 4:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

DragonMMA in a documentary, think i show up...

check this

http://wms.29DF.edgecastcdn.net/0029...ew/ttv/10-021_...

Video is not playing properly on my computer. So i don't know where i am. I got a glimpse of me coaching guy on how to punch on the heavy bag but just the back of my head. EDIT: Wait, you see my bearded face. Yay, im an internet celebrity! I wish....

Narrator is my buddy yoosuf penney.

History:
    Not exactly a world class gym(WHEN COMPARED TO EXTREME COUTURE,etc), but decent enough, and we beat the **** out of eachother. Don't have our own place(used to) so records suffering due to loss of flexible training time. That will change as plans to get our own gym back are in works. When we had a gym, the school was a kyokushin school transitioning to MMA. A gradually developed a decent enough grappling game and BJJ(always room for improvement however) A bunch of fighters were lined up to fight amateur fights and 4 semi-pro-fighters when we had teh gym. But two of teh pro-fighters moved out of the province, the other had injuries and five kids(priority issues)and alot of the amatuer guys dropped because of the loss of the gym(location issues). Website hasn't been updated forever. Thinsg are coming together again however. Reminants of teh kyokushin transition are fading as boxing skills and grappling skills are now increasing more and more throughout the school.

My use of the term 'world class' is based on some of the professional MMA gyms on bullshido...NOT compared to the gyms in the city of edmonton

And i love this school, anything deemed disrespectful is either carelessness or things we are all aware of.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 3:01pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 3:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Edmonton and saw you guys advertising around the University... I'm a bit skeptical about the grappling. He claims to teach Sambo and Jiu-jitsu? Whats his rank

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 7:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Keke:
    I live in Edmonton and saw you guys advertising around the University... I'm a bit skeptical about the grappling. He claims to teach Sambo and Jiu-jitsu? Whats his rank

Although i really like this school, you have legit reason to be doubtful of the grappling EDIT: This statement, poorly worded, was referring to rank not skill

His sambo is predominantly from spetznaz military stuff he did in poland, his leg locks are decently good, and can do a variety of them, both from standing to on the ground.

. It would be dishonest however to say he's a world class trainer in it

EDIT:(Referring to mainly ground work and RANKING in sambo and BJJ)

. His main thing is striking, he has a solid background in kyokushin and fought nationally
    , and then converted the school to kickboxing. We had a guy go to thailand and did fairly well there. Most of these guys are gone now, but we had guys do well in the cage as well. Also, Josh was our kickboxing coach, and still maintains connections with the school from the coast.
    But no, it woudl be wrong to say Yanusz has rank in GRAPPLING. He has his own game for the ground however, and does very well for a 55 year old who cannot freely move with only one leg. Yanusz holds a high level dan ranking in traditional japanese jujutsu, but many will point out that is very different from BJJ. We are talking grappling keep in mind. And not Jail house jujutsu.
    Now with that one leg, he kicked me from 1 end of the dojo to the other, so i am not talking about his total fighting ability. And most certainly I am not bashing his striking in ANY way.
    EDIT: He has also since re-gained mobility in that leg. I was thinking back to years ago, where he kicked my ass with 1 kicking leg.

The grappling was mostly taught by Yoosuf penney(though he hasn't been around much lately, and is doing mostly part time fight training stuff for people who want to compete)
    No BJJ ranking, but he trained with Mike yaklick(BLAH SPELLING) at arashido north and is friends with him. From what i hear, Mike Yaklick(blah spelling) seems to have a good opinion of yoosuf. Also, Calen Payne(from real self defense center) is a purple belt under Matt thorton and has guys who(thorton is coming down in november to test students and teach a seminar) has told me he thinks yoosuf is a good grappling coach. And this is without our own gym too. Like I said, were working on gatting that(a gym).

Also, though we haven't had a gym for 2 years, we did fairly well in the Mind Body Soul tournament. Our guys did good at kickboxing, grappling, and Pancrase.

I train under both REAL SELF DEFENSE and Dragon. Yoosuf's grappling instruction, when compared to Calen's guys, is pretty good. Of course, not the same detail as BJJ however, but fairly good.

I hope that doesn't put you off of joining the school at all. But i want to be honest. I don't think they were being dishonest either in the advertising, no cliams of having a BJJ black belt or anything like that. Yoosuf is a very good MMA coach.

Almost everything advertised about Yanusz's street fighting however, is true, he has a great deal of knowledge in all sorts of self defense stuff, and knows how to adapt his awkground game to it.

He is also one of the few guys i have met who can use nunchacku in a funtional manner. He teaches both the fancy stuff and very pragmatic training with a good progression.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 5:47pm at .

Posted On:
    1/23/2011 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I think I should say something about Yanusz. Yes I agree with you Ahmed about his ground skills . Yes he is NOT class trainer in it. So tell me WHO in Edmonton IS World Class trainer . ??? I think this is Not his special field in Martial arts and what he really likes (He says that ) Even as I know he is B. belt in ju-jitsu BUT !! did you sparr with him on the ground ?? If Not, nex time go and ask him for it.You will be suprised.. about how hard is fight with him.Even is is about 50
    Now what you sid about his kicking skills IT IS NOT as you said , that he can kick only with one leg !!
    Again ask him for kick boxing sparring . BUT tell him you want to do it for 100% . Not for 30-40% as he usually asks. Again you will be surprised about his kicks. for guy who is about 50
    Now about his self defence skills.
    I saw him when he was teaching Canadian soldiers who soon will go to Afganistan weapon disarming, knife fighting, and military hand to hand combat .
    You right it was something what most people never seen !!
    Simple , aggresive and full of pain !!
    He calls stuff like this , a bit of Systema a bit of military sambo .
    Something interesting abou him> I know a guy who saw him when hi fought on the street in front of one of the famous Edmonton bar with 3 GUYS No weapon !! NO B.S !! And he was charged for it !!! ( 2 guys had health problem)
    That is my opinion abouy this guy .!!!

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know I think I should say something about Yanusz. Yes I agree with you Ahmed about his ground skills . Yes he is NOT class trainer in it. So tell me WHO in Edmonton IS World Class trainer . ???
    Your right, I was not talking about Edmonton, I was talking about BULLSHIDO as a whole. In bullshido, read the 'how do rank' thread here in the review board. I am comparing this school with the likes of Dennis Kang and what not.

American Top Team - Coconut Creek Florida - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Or this:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...?ltr=R&t=78269

When looking at the link above, one would realize that when talking about a school on this website, you have to take into account just what exactly is the standardization based on the ranking here in this website?

I think this is Not his special field in Martial arts and what he really likes (He says that ) Even as I know he is B. belt in ju-jitsu BUT !! did you sparr with him on the ground ?? If Not, nex time go and ask him for it.You will be suprised.. about how hard is fight with him.Even is is about 50
    Yes i did, and he killed me, i got torn apart Like I said, it's extreme jailhouse Jujutsu with him, he would get kicked out of the tournaments because he does his own thing. Not that he would not do well, he would do very well. But how do I put in text
    Now what you sid about his kicking skills IT IS NOT as you said , that he can kick only with one leg !!
    Again ask him for kick boxing sparring . BUT tell him you want to do it for 100% . Not for 30-40% as he usually asks. Again you will be surprised about his kicks. for guy who is about 50
    Once again, I said, he can kick with 1 leg, and he's AMAZING. And yes, when i said that, my statement ws outdated, i think he has mobility in his leg again.

Why do you think i Joined DragonMMA? He injured himself and then he still kicked my ass when I trained with him.

Now about his self defence skills.
    I saw him when he was teaching Canadian soldiers who soon will go to Afganistan weapon disarming, knife fighting, and military hand to hand combat .
    Totally agree. I think this is his main passion for martial arts, i think MMA is secondary to him. ANd he is very very good at it. He is a soldier, first and foremost.

You right it was something what most people never seen !!
    Simple , aggresive and full of pain !!
    He calls stuff like this , a bit of Systema a bit of military sambo .
    Something interesting abou him> I know a guy who saw him when hi fought on the street in front of one of the famous Edmonton bar with 3 GUYS No weapon !! NO B.S !! And he was charged for it !!! ( 2 guys had health problem)
    I agree, but that reflects overall fighting skill, not ranking.

That is my opinion abouy this guy .!!!
    Mine too.

I believe I was taken out of context: So ill clarify. Ive also gone back and edited things for clarity.

When i said that "When it's packed it gets really annoying" i didn't say classes are really annoying, im saying WHEN IT GETS PACKED it gets annoying. This is referring to when i was talking about SPACE, about how much room there is. I think this will be solved if we get our own space, with moer spread out training times.
    SPACE.

As a fighter he's insanely good, and in a street fight, i would rarely ever bet agianst yanusz. He will kill you.

He is an AMAZING coach. Why do you think i train at dragon?

Just that on bullshido you realize we are talking about guys who train with Eddie Bravo and Stephen kestings.

I was talking about sport grapping. His street grappling is amazing.

Problem is, most people think striaght BJJ.

Im not talking about his stand up at all, or his street fighting.

Im talking GRAPPLING RANK.

He is most comfortable in STREET FIGHTING. Sensei yanusz is a SOLDIER, first and foremost.
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 6:23pm at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2011 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So to sum up, im talking about RANKING IN BJJ and SAMBO!!!!!!!! Not street fighting, or kickboxing.
    Emphasis on RANK, not ability.

As a martial artist, he most certainly is a professional.

And his grappling when he plays by the rules is very good too. Were talking RANK
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 1/25/2011 5:48pm at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Updates:

Dragon MMA is now 5 days a week and maybe more, as we have a BJJ coach, Master Gigante from ATT who just signed on.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 2:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 10:58am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46 View Post
    Weapons: Fairly difficult to define it. Yanusz has a very comprehensive kenjutsu and knife fighting background. He also fights really good with kali/arnis sticks by adapting his Kenjutsu. Also can shoot people.
    What is his kenjutsu background?