Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 11:44pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm way too addicted to buying new guns.
    The guys on the M1911.org forum say that Rock Island 1911s breed like rabbits. I don't have that problem myself.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    The guys on the M1911.org forum say that Rock Island 1911s breed like rabbits. I don't have that problem myself.
    True story. If I would already have the compact and officers model, haha.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/05/2010 11:05pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    While we're on the topic of 1911s, anyone have any experience with 1911 compacts?
    I used to have a Para-Ordnance Nitehawg. 10 rounds of .45 in a fairly tiny package. There are a few things to realize about really small 1911s, though.

The most important thing I picked up is that they get really dirty really fast which caused jams after about 75 rounds of sustained fire. Prior to the magic 75 round line it functioned flawlessly. That being said, my XD has at least 2500 rounds through it and has never been cleaned. Its only failure to fire was from a casing that actually bent on its way up the feed ramp around round 800. It's an ongoing experiment and it isn't a concealed carry weapon or primary home defense weapon. I'd also go with an XD because of the rigid spring guide. It helps keep the weapon from going out of battery when pressed directly against a target, which is a problem with most automatics and a valid concern for a concealed carry gun.

Additionally, someone asked about fiber optic sights... I have a set of Tru-Glo tritium fiber optic sights on the XD as well. They're splendid. I tried to run them out by putting the XD in a desk for a couple months. Whether it was from the tritium or because of the light gathering properties of the fiber optics I couldn't say, but even with nearly total darkness after two months in a desk drawer with no lights, no windows and the door closed there were still three unmistakably bright little dots. I actually wonder if they'll mess with my night vision.

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 12:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    I have a set of Tru-Glo tritium fiber optic sights on the XD as well. They're splendid. I tried to run them out by putting the XD in a desk for a couple months. Whether it was from the tritium or because of the light gathering properties of the fiber optics I couldn't say, but even with nearly total darkness after two months in a desk drawer with no lights, no windows and the door closed there were still three unmistakably bright little dots. I actually wonder if they'll mess with my night vision.
    Tritium and fiber optics? How does that work?

As for your confusion...tritium remains bright due to radioactive decay (without the need for ambient light), but fiber optic polymers gather ambient light and focus it in the linear plane of the fiber (i.e. end to end).

I really don't understand why you'd have both tritium and fiber optics, unless you were trying to save money but not having tritium front and rear.

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 12:21pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tru Glo tritium fiber optic sights are great in my experience. A lot of SIGs come stock with them. There's tritium inside the fiber optic so it glows a bright green in any lighting.

Posted On:
    10/06/2010 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    Tru Glo tritium fiber optic sights are great in my experience. A lot of SIGs come stock with them. There's tritium inside the fiber optic so it glows a bright green in any lighting.
    Interesting, I would've thought that tritium couldn't be contained safely in typical fiber optic materials. I wonder what the potential for color options is, given the subtractive color aspects of light.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 3:03am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so what, the phospor material/trapped tritium gas is physically against the fibre optic material? never seen a tritium sight, by way...

Posted On:
    10/07/2010 12:55pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not entirely sure how it works. Its out there though and its a good product.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456