Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I first started shooting I found 1911s were really easy to shoot. The recoil is extremely easy to control. 9mm feels to me like it recoils much more sharply.

Now that I've been shooting for a while, though, I'm considering re visiting 9mm to cut costs of shooting. Also I'm considering shooting lead free for health reasons and if I were to do that I'd really have to cut ammo costs.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 12:45pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Now that I've been shooting for a while, though, I'm considering re visiting 9mm to cut costs of shooting. Also I'm considering shooting lead free for health reasons and if I were to do that I'd really have to cut ammo costs.
    Loading your own ammunition would handle both aspects of obtaining .45ACP ammunition. Of course, the commercial ammunition you replace with your loads will determine how much you save. Case in point, I could (if I had the money to spare) get 50 rounds of FMJ for $17.17/box...and the shipping is so cheap they must be losing money on it. That is about equal to my estimates for reloading costs with a first batch of new brass, if I remember correctly, and if I sell the brass I can make up some of the difference between the boxed ammo price and the cost per round of reloading used brass.

As for the health aspects, have you looked into plated bullets? It is my understanding that health benefits are achieved by completing surrounding the lead core with copper plating. Cabela's has Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets for $37.99 per 250 of 230gr RN; MidwayUSA has Rainier LeadSafe Bullets for $139.99 per 1,000 of 230gr RN (or $291.99 per 2,000 of the same bullet with free freight). I don't know of any loaded ammunition made with such bullets, but it's possible a commercial reloader sells some.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/01/2010 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, plated bullets! Good idea!

I will look into using them!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 1:04am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i will chime in with this. I own a les bear that works flawlessly with about 1000 rounds threw it. I carry it on occasion. Then i have a glock 19 with about 4000 rounds threw it that i carry for work. I then have another glock 19 with about 700 rounds threw it that i use for daily carry. I have a glock 23 with about 150 rounds threw it that sits in my gun safe. I love my 1911 but looking back at it. I could have two more glock 19's and another glock 23 for the same price as my 1911 or another Ar-15 for the price i payed for my 1911. **** why did i buy the 1911.

Posted On:
    10/02/2010 1:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    I could have two more glock 19's and another glock 23 for the same price as my 1911 or another Ar-15 for the price i payed for my 1911. **** why did i buy the 1911.
    Rock Island Armory: At this price, everyone can afford to own a quality 1911...and shoot it, too.*

*That's a link to Centerfire Systems, but they're also available from Bud's Gun shop and "Bellshireguns" on GunBroker. I might contact Ivan at RIA and see if he'd like to use that in their advertising copy.

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I buy quality 1911s (a Kimber $700.00, SA $550). I feed them quality ammo and maintain the well. I don't add crazy crap or switch components. I have God only knows how many rounds through each of them with no problems at all. I've had a front sight on a Glock come loose (twice) because they are essentially just press fit in and the rear sight on my Glock just start sliding around (I replace both with properly installed custom sights and now it's perfect). Glocks are good guns. Their marketing is incredible. I actually prefer Sigs to anything else (my new XD is growing on me though) but ultimately there is no perfect death ray and everyone can be well served by doing their own research, finding the best gun to suite their needs and then actually getting out and training with it. The last element seems to escape a lot of people. I hear a lot of 1911 vs Glock arguments from people who could handle neither one if their life depended on it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While we're on the topic of 1911s, anyone have any experience with 1911 compacts? I'm thinking of picking up a 3" compact for CWP (another Rock Island), and I've read good reviews, but curious if there is anything unique to this style I should be aware of.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    10/03/2010 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    While we're on the topic of 1911s, anyone have any experience with 1911 compacts? I'm thinking of picking up a 3" compact for CWP (another Rock Island), and I've read good reviews, but curious if there is anything unique to this style I should be aware of.
    Quote Originally Posted by The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide, by Walt Kuleck
    Compact Size: Shortest barrels easiest to conceal, with lowest ballistic potential. Compromised function due to shortened recoil cycle, requiring redesigned recoil spring systems. Recoil spring life is considered to be very short, possibly as little as 10% of the life of the longer barrels and slides. Shortest sight radius; in steel pistols, a 5 oz weight saving over the Full-size pistols. Compact-size 1911-type pistols almost always combine a shortened frame, in the sense of a shorter butt and consequentially reduced magazine capacity, one round fewer than the Full- or Mid-size magazine. The shorter frame increases “concealability,” in that the butt of the pistol is the hardest to conceal, and the shorter the butt, the better, at the expense of suitability for large hands.
    I recently began preparing an errata list, which I will send to the publisher of the book quoted above, and after that I'll write a review for the article section (of this site). All of the grammatical errors in that quote were made by the author; suffice it to say that my review won't pull punches.

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 12:06am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shorter barreled 1911 pistols tend to be bushingless with bull barrels. They are usually quite reliable and well made but harder to take apart and reassemble than a standard 1911. I have never had an unreliable 1911 and that's after 3 normal priced models, not even semi customs. I think the 1911 is getting less respect than it deserves more often nowadays.

Keep in mind that my favorite pistols are SIGs, CZs and Glocks by the way. I can definitely agree that
    1911s can be hyped up quite a bit, but a well made one is something great.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    10/04/2010 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm way too addicted to buying new guns.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast