9/27/2010 5:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial Arts Expert Explains Neck-Breaking Takedown - Video

Martial Arts Expert Explains Neck-Breaking Takedown

OPD Chief To Review Takedown Policies After Incident

ORLANDO, Fla. -- WESH 2 News took a look Thursday night at the type of takedown an Orlando police officer reportedly used when an elderly man's neck was broken in an arrest.

Orlando Police Department officials defended Officer Travis Lamont's move as legit despite the severe injuries inflicted on 84-year-old Dan Daley Jr.

OPD Chief Val Demings pledged early Thursday to review takedown policies, but critics said the officer involved needed to use some common sense, as well.

Martial arts instructors didn't want to speculate what happened, but they showed WESH the maneuver used.

It's called the arm bar technique, and they said it's very common. However, instructor Stephen Fasen said it depends on the circumstance as to when it should be used.

The technique is a move that Fasen, a fifth-degree black belt and martial arts expert, said could easily break someone's neck.

The police report from the incident states that Daley's blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. Officers said he was upset after having to pay $50 to a tow truck driver and kept slapping Lamont's shoulder.

Lamont wrote in the report that he feared being attacked and took Daley to the ground.

Fasen walked WESH through the movements of the takedown.

"It turns the body over, and makes them available," he said. "The body then pivots, catching the elbow, pivoting on the ball of the foot. When the knee goes down, his balance is forward. Everything goes to the ground."

Demings said she may now change OPD's use of force techniques but still defended her officer. She said her officers made 16,000 arrests last year. Six-hundred involved use of force and 200 of those required a takedown like the arm bar technique.

Seven OPD supervisors are taking a closer look at the case to see if use of force was necessary.

Daley is still charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, assault on a law enforcement officer and disorderly conduct.

http://www.wesh.com/r/25139875/detail.html

Those were some of the worst 'sit up's I've seen the mirror there. Waving your arms!??!?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 6:31pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido works on the streets?????

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm trying to think of an arm bar that can easily break someone's neck. I got nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 9:21pm

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I'm trying to think of an arm bar that can easily break someone's neck. I got nothing.
    YouTube - Time Warp - Dave Camarillo's Chaotic

Voila

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 8:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you bounced an 80yr olds head off the pavement with it I would say there was a risk.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 9:09am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Watch the video in the link in the OP, it was your basic lock the arm and pull forward and down till the uke is flat on the ground, while pulling up on the arm. Evidently, when you do that to an 84 year old man, and his face meets the street first, it can dislocate the cervical vertebra.

Valid LEO takedown technique, yes. Should have been used on a drunk 84 year old for putting his hands on your shoulders -- not in my opinion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 9:36am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidi View Post
    "A Camarillo invention?"

Fucking douchebags; that was like the very first flying armbar I learned over 13 years ago.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 11:00am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    "A Camarillo invention?"

Fucking douchebags; that was like the very first flying armbar I learned over 13 years ago.
    Yeah and besides, everybody knows Korea invented Flying armbars!
    It stands to reason, considering they invented flying, arms and bars.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 11:00am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    "A Camarillo invention?"

Sounds like you should have slapped your name on it and claimed it for yourself. Then ridden that bad boy to fame, glory, and riches. Apparently claiming to invent moves (that have been around forever) and giving them weird names is all the rage these days.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2010 11:03am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How could I slap my name on it when it was other guys doing it and then showed me?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast